The Alloa Athletic Thread

Adam Brown is the most cowardly footballer I've ever seen. He will contribute a couple of good balls and the odd wonder goal and will spend the rest of the time avoiding any type of physical confrontation and blaming others if things go wrong. A perplexing signing seeing as he wasnt good enough for a team well below you in the league last season. The epitome of excess baggage and I'm very much assuming alloa won't be in the position to be carrying passengers in what will be a hard old season!

He can't. Parry was a great keeper at league 1 level, anyone who says otherwise is a bawbag. Adam Brown is genuinely infuriating. He was detested by huge swathes of the support who were (rightly) raging he was back last season. If he plays more than a few games for you I'll be surprised.

The Airdrie fans seem obsessed with Adam Brown's hardness rather than his talents as a footballer. Maybe says more about them as a group than anything about Adam?

Oh, and welcome back Greig. You flat track bully. [emoji6]

15 minutes ago, printer said:

The Airdrie fans seem obsessed with Adam Brown's hardness rather than his talents as a footballer. Maybe says more about them as a group than anything about Adam?

Oh, and welcome back Greig. You flat track bully. emoji6.png

Genuinely, it's not "hardness" it's unwillingness to contribute to the cause. Give it a month and you'll see.

2 hours ago, printer said:

Oh, and welcome back Greig. You flat track bully. emoji6.png

Stupid, lazy statement about “hardness” – if you took time to read most posts it’s about Adam Brown’s inability to contribute as a team player. He has several positive  attributes –  he can cross a good ball,  can hit a good shot and has some pace BUT the boy jumps out of every 50/50 tackle (always pulls out ), won’t head a ball (doesn’t even try) and hides when the going gets tough. In a nutshell, Airdrie couldn’t afford to “carry him”. But it will be interesting to see if Goodwin thinks he can change his character – or perhaps he thinks that his “talent” will be enough when Alloa are scrapping for points.

Stupid, lazy statement about “hardness” – if you took time to read most posts it’s about Adam Brown’s inability to contribute as a team player.

I must have been confused into my lazy and stupid statement by the use of the words 'shitebag' (twice) and 'cowardly'.

1 hour ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Stupid, lazy statement about “hardness” – if you took time to read most posts it’s about Adam Brown’s inability to contribute as a team player. He has several positive  attributes –  he can cross a good ball,  can hit a good shot and has some pace BUT the boy jumps out of every 50/50 tackle (always pulls out ), won’t head a ball (doesn’t even try) and hides when the going gets tough. In a nutshell, Airdrie couldn’t afford to “carry him”. But it will be interesting to see if Goodwin thinks he can change his character – or perhaps he thinks that his “talent” will be enough when Alloa are scrapping for points.

Goodwin must have a pretty good idea of Brown's talents and character from their time together at St Mirren. Also worth noting that Goodwin said in his radio interview last week that he felt our squad was too small last season and that we had a bench full of youngsters who weren't ready to play.  Perhaps the likes of Brown and Galt are an answer to that, they get a chance to prove they are capable of playing at a higher level and even if they don't manage to excel, they still pad out the squad.  Good luck to them anyway, they'll get my full support when they turn out in black and gold. 

Has anybody heard if we are getting a new top? I have a strange weakness for garish nylon football tops with dodgy cartoon like Wasp symbols on them.

Edited by Waspie

Goodwin must have a pretty good idea of Brown's talents and character from their time together at St Mirren. Also worth noting that Goodwin said in his radio interview last week that he felt our squad was too small last season and that we had a bench full of youngsters who weren't ready to play.  Perhaps the likes of Brown and Galt are an answer to that, they get a chance to prove they are capable of playing at a higher level and even if they don't manage to excel, they still pad out the squad.  Good luck to them anyway, they'll get my full support when they turn out in black and gold. 
Has anybody heard if we are getting a new top? I have a strange weakness for garish nylon football tops with dodgy cartoon like Wasp symbols on them.
I have a hunch that Pendle will be supplying the kits again next season...

17 hours ago, Waspie said:

That was my first thought too, the play-off at Airdrie last season? That wouldn't bother me but he didn't do much else over those games. Himself and Galt a bit of a gamble. Hopefully they will take the chance and make the step up.

I'm happy with Greig coming back. Printer raised some very valid concerns but Greig has shown before that he can score goals against decent teams. Doing it consistently at a higher level will be the challenge, but I thought he looked a better all round player in his last season with us and better equipped for another shot at the Championship. Not sure there are better part-time strikers available either. And it's Spencie :wub:

Good to get some new faces in but we'll need a few more really good signings if we are going to be competitive in this league.

Yeh agree with this Waspie. If you  look at last season we finished 15 and 16 points behind the two full time teams and we are now going to be stepping up a level where its going to be full on every week. 

The likes of Cawley, Robertson and Hetherington who has come on leaps and bounds have been fantastic for us but will they cut it in the Championship week in, week out, time will tell and i would possibly consider them to be good options from the bench as opposed to certain starters every week.

As Waspie says this means we need to pull out a few good signings that will be certain starters if fit, but constraints on the budget may dictate otherwise and we could be left with a squad of players that Goodwin is going to gamble on being able to be competitive.

Whatever happens, its going to be a great ride, and maybe we should just embrace and enjoy the season coming up whatever happens and just hope we make more of a fist of it than Brechin did. 

This is Airdrie's best bit of transfer news so far! To know Adam Brown will be being the worst player at another cub rather than ours is a relief - useless! Will be interesting to see how long it takes for Alloa fans to share that opinion or if he actually proves to be of some use to them!

4 hours ago, printer said:

I must have been confused into my lazy and stupid statement by the use of the words 'shitebag' (twice) and 'cowardly'.

A footballer can easily be committed without being a Hardman.  No one is saying he'll be an enforcer. What we are all saying is that he will be a liability when the going gets tough as he is afraid of pretty much everything. He is a shitebag and a coward because he lacks that commitment.

TBH, even with those 'positive attributes' mentioned above, he doesn't show them anywhere near often enough to make up for his complete lack of bite or heart. He's got pace and would probably be useful in a flat race, but I don't think I've ever seen him take on and beat a man and whip in a decent cross. His final ball is dreadful. He never tracks back or makes himself useful in any way defensively. He's scored the odd cracking goal and played the (very) odd blinder of a pass but these are such a rarity. 

I like to think of myself as someone who doesn't want his players to just get 'stuck in' all the time but even with that Brown's lack of heart or bite is infuriating. He not only doesn't go for 50/50 balls but almost (maybe actually sometimes) literally shits himself out of them (as he did in the build-up to the goal in the 2nd leg of the Alloa play-off). I cannot remember him ever making a single tackle. 

Yes people are focusing on his lack of fight/unwillingness to take part in the dirty side of the game. But that's because it's such an issue that it's to the detriment of the side and because he doesn't have the skill to make up for it. 
 Now. he could get away with this lack of heart if he had the skill to make up for it or vice-versa. But unfortunately, he lacks both. I'm genuinely shocked he's got a move up to the Championship. Especially when I can't think of a single player in Alloa's midfield that Brown is demonstrably better than. And because, with all due respect, Alloa are gonna be scrapping for points next season and Brown is not the sort of player that will be useful in that sort of side.  We were in the same situation this year in a lower league and he was rubbish/not getting a game for us. Yes, you need to pad out your squad. But not by signing guff. Thought he was destined for some middling junior or lowland league team who would bin him for his complete lack of fight.  To put it in perspective some Airdrie fans were disappointed his contract was renewed until the end of the season in January when we were still down to the bare bones squad-wise and almost had more loan players than signed players. I also don't know any Airdrie fans who were disappointed to see him go. Indeed, many probably sang in joy.