The Alloa Athletic Thread

Brilliant move for Jack Ross. Sunderland are a massive club and if he can get them going again he will be well backed . Sometimes taking a team over at their lowest point is a wide move . They will romp that division of he has a decent budget . An absolute footballing hotbed with a fanatical support. 

Too good an opportunity to turn down 

If Jack goes to Sunderland, the Buddies fans will welcome Goodie back as manager as he is an absolute leg end there.  If that happens then no Kirkie for us next season and other transfer moves will stall pending us getting a new manager in.  Many of the available players will have sorted themselves out leaving us with the dregs nobody wants.  Not great timing but then again.....

By the way, whatever happened to the boy Grant.  Has he been seen anywhere around the ground in recent times?

I need a holiday.  Far too much stress!!!!

By the way, whatever happened to the boy Grant.  Has he been seen anywhere around the ground in recent times?
I need a holiday.  Far too much stress!!!!

Think he chucked the game after fighting with that illness he had, was a real bad one. Could be wrong but think he hung up the boots - definitely well & truly left us. Shame.

On 23/05/2018 at 23:38, KierenAAFC said:

Think he chucked the game after fighting with that illness he had, was a real bad one. Could be wrong but think he hung up the boots - definitely well & truly left us. Shame.

Think it was something to do with his heart. Doctor's orders to hang the boots up which is pretty gutting.

In other news...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44233197

Jim and Andres were in talks and fondly comparing the times they nutmegged David Villa. Sadly that rapport was not enough to bring Iniesta on board and he's ready to fade into obscurity by going to Japan.

I see the papers are reporting that St. Mirren have been given permission to speak to Goodwin along with others.

Not unexpected i suppose, thought he might stick around for another year for a crack at keeping us up and would be a bit crap if he has been instrumental in re-organising the youths for him to oversee and then leaving the scene. 

No guarantee he will get the job right enough, a big step going from League 1 to the SPL, yes we were great in the play-offs but did finish a distant third in the league so hopefully St.Mirren may feel at this point he has more to prove.  

I see the papers are reporting that St. Mirren have been given permission to speak to Goodwin along with others.
Not unexpected i suppose, thought he might stick around for another year for a crack at keeping us up and would be a bit crap if he has been instrumental in re-organising the youths for him to oversee and then leaving the scene. 
No guarantee he will get the job right enough, a big step going from League 1 to the SPL, yes we were great in the play-offs but did finish a distant third in the league so hopefully St.Mirren may feel at this point he has more to prove.  
I tend to agree he isn't ready yet and therefore there would be an element of gamble if Saint Mirren went with Jim now.

However, it concerns me if they are going to include him in the interview process as he will come across very well. He'll likely also be cheaper than e.g. Robbie Nelson.

5 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Really can’t see St Mirren taking a punt on Goodwin when they are in the premiership. They need someone with more experience if they want to stay up.

Jack Ross was inexperienced when he was appointed and look how that turned out. Young, hungry managers are the way to go. 

3 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Jack Ross was inexperienced when he was appointed and look how that turned out. Young, hungry managers are the way to go. 

I agree to a certain extent but correct me if i am wrong but i think Ross had coaching experience in some capacity with Hearts and Dumbarton before landing the Alloa job. 

Jack was also a different breed, destined to go right the way to the top. Goodwin is still very much in the learning process and would be a massive gamble.

However, printer is spot on. I didn’t think he’d even be in with contention but if he gets himself an interview he’ll probably have just as good a chance as anyone. He talks very well and knows the club inside out. Would be pretty chaotic for us if he did move on at this point. Even more so with Jim’s increased role in the youth development.

Great opportunity for him if it was to come of, but far from convinced it would be the right move for St Mirren. The end of the season was magnificent and that brings hope that a successful managerial career lies ahead for Goodwin. However,  plenty of questions about the previous 18 months or so.  The temptation from St Mirren's point of view is that they got JR from us and were hugely successful. Now they see another young and successful manager with Alloa - and with a strong St Mirren connection too  - and it looks too good to be true. And it is, because Goody isn't Jack Ross.

Biggest worry from our point of view is timing. We have a decent nucleus signed but it's small and some very good signings are required if we are to be competitive. Teams are doing their business earlier every year and plenty of good players are already signed up elsewhere. I'd like to hope Goody already has some lined up for us. If he goes now then we'd need to move quickly to replace him.

I agree to a certain extent but correct me if i am wrong but i think Ross had coaching experience in some capacity with Hearts and Dumbarton before landing the Alloa job. 

He also had a really good reputation as a coach.

I’m sure Rodgers wanted him as an assistant at Celtic when he arrived.