The Alloa Athletic Thread

1 minute ago, printer said:

Who?

Youth striker who scored a bunch of goals for the development side and latterly at Clydebank on loan. Warmed the bench for us often.

I'm still waiting on the bigger fish to come out with messages on twitter. I don't expect this to be the last.

Youth striker who scored a bunch of goals for the development side and latterly at Clydebank on loan. Warmed the bench for us often.
I'm still waiting on the bigger fish to come out with messages on twitter. I don't expect this to be the last.

Yeah, I know who he is. [emoji6]

Alan Cook, Craig Malcolm, Frank McKeown, Garry Fleming, Kris Renton, Adam Martin, John Cunningham, Ryan Hoggan and Dylan Monaghan all released, 

Neil Parry, Scott Taggart, Andy Graham, Kevin Cawley, Jon Robertson, Iain Flannigan, Stevie Hetherington & Andy Wilson offered new contracts

Expected pretty much all of that, quite surprised with Fleming though I thought Goodwin  would have gave him a chance next season but must think he can get someone better in there to do what he does in midfield. 

Edited by liammcintosh01

Alan Cook, Craig Malcolm, Frank McKeown, Garry Fleming, Kris Renton, Adam Martin, John Cunningham, Ryan Hoggan and Dylan Monaghan all released, 
Neil Parry, Scott Taggart, Andy Graham, Kevin Cawley, Jon Robertson, Iain Flannigan, Stevie Hetherington & Andy Wilson offered new contracts
Expected pretty much all of that, quite surprised with Fleming though I thought Goodwin  would have have him a chance next season but must think he can get someone better in there to do what he does in midfield. 

Flemings fitness was always going to be the issue struggling after 60 minuets was never going to be able to manage the step up

Granted I was taken in by his nosing up of the crowd, but could big Kris Renton do a job for us? He looked a bit of a handful in the air, and given how direct we play that would probably suit us. We also really, really lacked an out and out number nine last season.

Granted I was taken in by his nosing up of the crowd, but could big Kris Renton do a job for us? He looked a bit of a handful in the air, and given how direct we play that would probably suit us. We also really, really lacked an out and out number nine last season.

You'll need better if you are going for promotion. He's OK as a squad player.

ETA Kris did well in the playoffs when he came on.

Spot on from Jim IMO.

Wish all of the players released the best for the future. The likes of Frank, Garry, Kris Renton and Malcolm will get plenty offers IMO. Cook will probably go to Stenny.

Certainly at the right club Fleming and, maybe, Renton will do a job in division 1.

Hope the youngsters stay in the game too.

16 minutes ago, printer said:

You'll need better if you are going for promotion. He's OK as a squad player.

ETA Kris did well in the playoffs when he came on.

I'm not really sure if we are going for promotion or not to be honest!

Aye I thought he put himself about quite well. Not in the same class as Stewart, but as a League One jobber he looked like he'd do a decent job. A section of our support (who you will have no doubt seen at the Recs) will be seriously excited that Garry Fleming is back in the market again.

2 hours ago, printer said:

Spot on from Jim IMO.

Wish all of the players released the best for the future. The likes of Frank, Garry, Kris Renton and Malcolm will get plenty offers IMO. Cook will probably go to Stenny.

Certainly at the right club Fleming and, maybe, Renton will do a job in division 1.

Hope the youngsters stay in the game too.

Agreed. Fleming was the big decision and whilst he would have brought leadership it would have been a big ask in the DM role. Renton would have been an option from the bench but not a starter. Have to assume that Daryll will be asked to prove his fitness pre-season.

Promotion probably meant that the likes of Martin, Hoggan and Cunningham had no chance of staying. Same questions every year in regards to the youth setup, some very good prospects at their age but so hard to make that final step up. Hoggan in particular looked excellent when I saw him play.  Hope these boys stick at it and make a success of themselves somewhere else. Indeed, thanks and good luck to all the players who are leaving.

All down to the recruitment now.

Edited by Waspie

35 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Promotion probably meant that the likes of Martin, Hoggan and Cunningham had no chance of staying

I remember Jim talking about his experience at Celtic when he wasn't anywhere near good enough to get into the team and was released. These boys need to get first team football in the men's game. Cunningham has already started like a house on fire for Clydebank. Martin I thought was always good value for creating a brilliant chance per game again but didn't make an impact at Clyde. Hoggy didn't even get a shot at Bo'ness. Again hope they all get playing because thats the most important thing.

1 hour ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I'm not really sure if we are going for promotion or not to be honest!

Aye I thought he put himself about quite well. Not in the same class as Stewart, but as a League One jobber he looked like he'd do a decent job. A section of our support (who you will have no doubt seen at the Recs) will be seriously excited that Garry Fleming is back in the market again.

Was Garry not one of our many players that hated Aitken though? Ive lost track. Certainly a few had very few good words to say.

22 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Was Garry not one of our many players that hated Aitken though? Ive lost track. Certainly a few had very few good words to say.

I don't know if hated is too strong a word, but I'm certainly not sure on what terms they left.

Sad to see  big Kris Renton and Garry fleming  go  , but then i wouldnt be much of a manager either ,  Adam martin to me was worth developing but maybe he didnt want to hang around 

the rest of the players released was no surprise , I wish them all well  . the pro's and cons of promotion ..

4 hours ago, Waspie said:

Promotion probably meant that the likes of Martin, Hoggan and Cunningham had no chance of staying. Same questions every year in regards to the youth setup, some very good prospects at their age but so hard to make that final step up. Hoggan in particular looked excellent when I saw him play.  Hope these boys stick at it and make a success of themselves somewhere else. Indeed, thanks and good luck to all the players who are leaving.

I think you are spot on Waspie.  Promotion meant the youngsters were not going to get game time as the manager showed a great reluctance to give them starts even when the forwards were off form and weren't scoring.  As LeodhasXD alluded to, Cunningham has been scoring for fun at Clydebank as he did in the Reserves but you don't know what he can do in the first team unless you give him a run of games.  With promotion that has now become a missed opportunity.  

Like you I have severe doubts and misgivings over the point of our Youth academy if players don't see a pathway to the first team. 

Meggat will still be in contract possibly. That leaves the loan player's. Will we get kirky permanently or possibly on loan again. Mccart, Crane and Smith I would have any day. Stewart would be good too. With the step up to the championship it is possible that the parent clubs will see it as an improvement in their development. Crane as far as I know is a free agent unless he has already signed elsewhere.

Cunningham ......you don't know what he can do in the first team unless you give him a run of games.

Yes you do. Goodwin would see him in training. He'd decide whether to give any youngster a first team chance based primarily on that, not on whether he is knocking in goals in the development league.

None of the youngsters now released has shown enough to be retained for next year. In fact IMO none of them showed enough to be retained were we still in division 1.

Good luck to them all though.

1 hour ago, printer said:

I don't think he had much choice.
He hasn"t exactly set things on fire at Clyde .

I won't forget when he came on early season and scored a cracker for the only goal against QP that was a vital .

Thought he would do well at clyde but !

Edited by whereismillar