The Alloa Athletic Thread

That's a better away kit than I can remember the senior side wearing.
Cheers Dave. I was going to go for black but most teams in our league have a black strip and I think it's a bit boring. At least we can wear these and not worry about ruining them like our old all white away strip.

Was only with us for half a season, and it was 5 years ago- but he was brilliant for us. Scorer of one of my favourite ever Alloa goals in play off final against Dunfermline. Any excuse to repost this jaw dropping thing of beauty....

Technically excellent, a cool head and capable of scoring a belter. Barely broke sweat at times. No doubt helped somewhat by playing alongside Holmes, McCord and Simmons in a legendary midfield.

Big fan of Moon. Think he moved over to Australia for a few years ?

Was unlucky at St Johnstone and was mainly just known for being Stevie May's flat-mate when he hit the heights !

Done pretty well at Raith for a few seasons and was pretty solid IIRC.

Was only with us for half a season, and it was 5 years ago- but he was brilliant for us. Scorer of one of my favourite ever Alloa goals in play off final against Dunfermline. Any excuse to repost this jaw dropping thing of beauty....

Beauty indeed.

That game was the peak of the Hartley years IMO.

Beauty indeed.

Agreed. The thing about that goal I remember most was that it came after the disappointment of missing a penalty. There was no heads down hold on to what we have got. Instead we continued to play positively and got our reward.

6 hours ago, printer said:

Beauty indeed.

Agreed too, although I'd make a strong case for Brechin the week before as well. Was pishing down and the park was a real mess but we absolutely destroyed a good Brechin side, 2-0 going on 4 or 5. Fantastic footballing performance. Moon scored a peach that night too.

Tantalising to think what could have happened if we had been able to keep that team together and  add another couple of really good players. Even in losing a couple that summer Hartley had them 4th in the Championship at Christmas. Obviously we're Alloa and we just can't keep great teams together, but in a different world with a bit more investment I really believe that team could have kicked on and won promotion again.  Suspect it was frustration over that that issue that ultimately saw Hartley bail out, he had taken the thing as far as he could with the resources we had, and that was probably the resources stretched as far as they could possibly go.

Obviously Moon isn't going to playing in such a good midfield at the Binos - it was after all a real vintage lower league midfield - but if he is in decent shape then he should be a great signing in League 2. I'd have been very happy to have him back at the Recs,

Performance at Glebe was terrific, and Moons goal was a beauty. To be fair the last 2-3 months of that season was filled with brilliant performances throughout, putting lots of teams to the sword.

Look at our team around the end of that season- Bain, Tiff, Gordon, Meggatt, Docherty, Simmons, Moon, McCord, Holmes, Elliot, Cawley. With Doyle, Marr and Young all coming in at times too. The perfect balance in every area of the pitch.

It's also sometimes overlooked that we were excellent on the return leg of the final at East End Park, and should never have lost (not that it mattered as job was done at Recs)

On 16/01/2018 at 20:53, Hampden Diehard said:

A bit of a long shot but dies anyone have a prog from the recent Queen's Park game that I could buy? I' e tried the ckub with no success. Cheers.

I have a spare mate- PM me and I can sort getting it over to you...

10 hours ago, fruitbowl said:

Agreed. The thing about that goal I remember most was that it came after the disappointment of missing a penalty. There was no heads down hold on to what we have got. Instead we continued to play positively and got our reward.

Yep, I remember the Dunfermline fans behind the goal bouncing away after Elliot's pen miss, thinking the tide was turning in the tie. 

The players simply started work again and produced THAT goal 8)

Yep, I remember the Dunfermline fans behind the goal bouncing away after Elliot's pen miss, thinking the tide was turning in the tie. 
The players simply started work again and produced THAT goal 8)

The other two goals weren't bad that night either. [emoji3]

On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 23:34, Not a Bee said:

With only Raith conceding less and only Airdrie, Queens Park and Forfar scoring less, it is easy to see where our problems lie so it is good to see Ross Stewart banging in a goal a game in his first three.  Got me thinking about where our goals are coming from and goals per minute ratio for our attacking minded players.  Quite a shocking find to be honest (BBC website used).  Renton is our top striker scoring 6 and averaging just under a goal every two games.  Everyone else is way off that.  Despite his pace, trickery and enthusiasm, Crossan is only averaging a goal every 4 games, the same as Cawley but that was only because he scored at the weekend otherwise it would have been every 6 games.  He needs to do more with his opportunities as he does great work getting in behind but invariably his final ball is dreadful.  Malcolm is THE major disappointment having been brought in to score the goals his return is a measly 2 with a return of one every 5 and a half games.  When you think of what Spence and Kirky gave us in the goals department last season we are truly found wanting in front of goal this season.

- Stewart 3 goals in 270 minutes equiv to a goal every 90 minutes

- Renton 6 in 1006 mins so 168 mins

- Martin 1 in 197 mins so 197 mins

- Cawley 4 in 1434 mins so 358 mins

- Crossan 3 in 1075 mins so 358 mins

- Malcolm 2 in 1026 mins so 513 mins

- Flannigan  in 1620 mins so 540 mins

Leo said: If I was to make a criticism of the team its that we don't control games like in past eras. When we get a lead we invite pressure by sitting deeper.

A great piece of research by Not A Bee. So I was thinking that we have a very good and experienced defender as manager, who personally I like and want him to do well for us. But are the tactics right? In the last home game while we were pretty well pushed right back with everyone defending, there was a moment when the ball was cleared and no Alloa  players moved out until the stand roared at them. So maybe we don't need any signings this window but maybe we need someone to coach the forwards.