The Alloa Athletic Thread

My sisters boyfriends dad in that Arbroath team. Also Steve Florence is still playing Junior Football I think. 23 years later. Would've been in his mid-late 20s in that too I reckon.

Yep Steve is at Arbroath Vics, still a very good player too.

Yep Steve is at Arbroath Vics, still a very good player too.

Got asked to go down and play a game for them a few years back, turned it down for a drunken day out with my amateur team though. Could've been his centre half partner. [emoji23]

Hardly keep up to date with the vics now most of my mates have moved on to different teams but absolutely mental he's still playing away.

7 hours ago, whereismillar said:

competition time , anyone have programmes older than this , probably some of you lets see them here ?

more to follow.

DSCF4141_edited.jpg

Got some from early 60s (with John White in the team lines) and early 70s but my collection really kicks in around the same time as yours (77), got tons from the Hugh Wilson era.

The hearts game from Jan 1980 was abandoned with us winning quite comfortably. We lost the replay 1-0. Was at both. 

Loads of trouble on the Saturday game . Drink wasn't banned at that point and bottles and cans getting flung all over the place. Very lively. 

The hearts game from Jan 1980 was abandoned with us winning quite comfortably. We lost the replay 1-0. Was at both. 
Loads of trouble on the Saturday game . Drink wasn't banned at that point and bottles and cans getting flung all over the place. Very lively. 

Big Allan Holt getting our goal in the abandoned game and Cammy Fraser getting the winner in the replay IIRC?

5936e0fce08ea_IMG_24171.thumb.JPG.b61d1f6ede568436ce13db4924f8aa97.JPG

One of the older ones I have. Got quite a few from round about this era. Not sure when Alloa actually started doing matchday programmes, perhaps Programme Contributor can answer that one.

Team lists for this game:

Alloa - Park, Junior, Vint, Docherty, Kidd, Wishart, Foley, Walker, Gibb, Gillespie, Murphy.

Cowdenbeath: Dorman, Lindsay, Clark, Mitchell, Campbell, Buchanan, Gilfillan, Craig, McWilliams, Murphy, Shaw.

Edited by Sevennil

20 hours ago, whereismillar said:

DSCF4144.JPG

1989/90 was my second season following Alloa. I remember we made a promising start to that campaign playing some great football, but that Clydebank game was a 4-1 drubbing which got us on a slippery slope to relegation. I think the picture's from a 3-3 draw at Forfar.

Was at the Celtic game also. The usually reliable Donald Hunter in goal had an absolute nightmare and we lost 5-0. I remember Arthur Grant and drew Paterson absolutely flying and the great Danny mcgrain struggling with granty. We missed a penalty think it was Stuart Munro who took the kick.  

I started secondary school at st modans that day I recall that also. 

I've never seen a home Alloa programme earlier than mid to late 50's so presume they started issuing then. Seemed to stop around mid 60's then start again early 70's (when Supporters Club did progs for a while). I'm sure someone at the club will have more precise info.

I have quite a few old Alloa items, and a wife who would like to bin them. Some random old ones here.

rsz_20170606_183036-1.thumb.jpg.967a05f1df828b17cb2db535217560d9.jpg

rsz_20170606_183059.thumb.jpg.474aee55c8a85e5407a890eb1e9f688a.jpg

rsz_20170606_182945.thumb.jpg.dbc69349e3a7b8b64f4b8270e6ea4d8c.jpg

53 minutes ago, Waspie said:

I've never seen a home Alloa programme earlier than mid to late 50's so presume they started issuing then. Seemed to stop around mid 60's then start again early 70's (when Supporters Club did progs for a while). I'm sure someone at the club will have more precise info.

I have quite a few old Alloa items, and a wife who would like to bin them. Some random old ones here.

rsz_20170606_183036-1.thumb.jpg.967a05f1df828b17cb2db535217560d9.jpg

rsz_20170606_183059.thumb.jpg.474aee55c8a85e5407a890eb1e9f688a.jpg

rsz_20170606_182945.thumb.jpg.dbc69349e3a7b8b64f4b8270e6ea4d8c.jpg

That handbook is magnificent. Don't think I've seen that before. Obviously have the 80s one. What's the content like, anything of great note?

Resistance the urge to get the programme collection out and raise the ire of the wife. Like yourself it will only serve to remind her of the location and the space they all take up.

32 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

That handbook is magnificent. Don't think I've seen that before. Obviously have the 80s one. What's the content like, anything of great note?

Resistance the urge to get the programme collection out and raise the ire of the wife. Like yourself it will only serve to remind her of the location and the space they all take up.

It's pretty much just a preview of the season ahead. Alloa had just finished bottom of the pile and Tommy Lipton is quoted as being quietly confident that they will do much better. He was gone before the end of the season and they finished bottom again. 

The thread could do with more memorabilia :).

Some nice stuff coming up here, this is my scarf, it was given to me by the same man that gave me the programmes, this was his old one and he had a new one so i got this from him, I can honestly say the day i received this scarf was the day i became an alloa supporter. I reckon it is about 50 years old at least but i may be wrong, it is one of my prized possessions and goes to every game...........

DSCF4146.JPG

3 hours ago, Oweny said:

Was at the Celtic game also. The usually reliable Donald Hunter in goal had an absolute nightmare and we lost 5-0. I remember Arthur Grant and drew Paterson absolutely flying and the great Danny mcgrain struggling with granty. We missed a penalty think it was Stuart Munro who took the kick.  

I started secondary school at st modans that day I recall that also. 

Drew paterson , there was a player , Witnessed his career ending game at cliftonhill can't remember the name of the so called player who broke his leg , but someone might enlighten me , he ended up in monklands hospital where the wife was a student nurse and went to visit him, wonder where he is now ?

16 minutes ago, whereismillar said:

Some nice stuff coming up here, this is my scarf, it was given to me by the same man that gave me the programmes, this was his old one and he had a new one so i got this from him, I can honestly say the day i received this scarf was the day i became an alloa supporter. I reckon it is about 50 years old at least but i may be wrong, it is one of my prized possessions and goes to every game...........

DSCF4146.JPG

Something else I've never seen before, a beauty! 8)