The Alloa Athletic Thread

Father Barry coming across as a clown here in all honesty. The old season finished two weeks ago and the current transfer dealings (which seen more than acceptable) aren't up to scratch and threatens he won't be renewing his season ticket.
That really is embarrassing.

Think some Alloa fans have gotten a bit big for their boots because they've been spoiled so much recently.

As I said before they've been punching well above their weight for years.

Some decent signings that most clubs in this league would be happy with yet he's saying that...

I totally agree a fair few Alloa fans have forgotten their station.

Take away Mulraney's Millions and I'd love to see the state some of them get in as they retake their place in the chain battling relegation to the bottom league.

On the contrary- the bottom leagues brilliant, superb away trips galore.
Actually quite jealous of you to be honest.

Won't be long till you're back where you belong, in the basement. Also won't be long till we return to where we belong, fighting for promotion to the Championship.

Have to agree we have had far worse managers than Jim Goodwin who have been given an easy ride by the fans.

Really don't understand the animosity towards him.

We don't play the attacking brand of football we played under Jack Ross but generally results and performances under Jim Goodwin were okay.

Given the size of our support, club etc. we are punching well above our weight, by finishing above full time clubs like Airdrie.

Edited by Magic Hat

Won't be long till you're back where you belong, in the basement. Also won't be long till we return to where we belong, fighting for promotion to the Championship.

You been on the glue Jakey boy?

Do we have room for Spence with these two strikers? Do you think there's a chance he'll be at Dunfermline next year? Hoping himself and Waters(or an alternative left back) sign next then we I'll be pretty happy with the team. All that'll need to be added is a bit of depth mainly at the back.

Do we have room for Spence with these two strikers? Do you think there's a chance he'll be at Dunfermline next year? Hoping himself and Waters(or an alternative left back) sign next then we I'll be pretty happy with the team. All that'll need to be added is a bit of depth mainly at the back.

Of course there is a room for Spence. These strikers have been signed but let's keep in mind we have lost Longworth, Mackin & Hynd. Spence would be and still be No.1 choice.

Remember a few years ago. Some people would not say a bad word against Maitland despite him being utterly useless because he was best pals with them.

Need to correct your attempt to distort history here, big man.

Any sticking up for Maitland, who patently wasn't useless as his overall record clearly proves, was more to counter the emotional, agenda driven shite which a few guys like yourself pretty consistently spouted.

34 minutes ago, printer said:

Need to correct your attempt to distort history here, big man.

Any sticking up for Maitland, who patently wasn't useless as his overall record clearly proves, was more to counter the emotional, agenda driven shite which a few guys like yourself pretty consistently spouted.

Not having that. What did he achieve with us?

Oh yeah, got us relegated to the the third division. Which in a way was his most usefull contribution as it got him kicked out and Hartley came in.

Oh aye we also had our massive bottling of the the 2nd division title under him. Nearly forgot that great achievement.

Edit - thought I would have a wee look and in his 5 full seasons in charge of us his league record was P180 W66 D42 L72 which I make to be a win record of 36.7%. Pretty shite if you ask me. How many would tolerate a record like this for Goodwin.

Edited by bsd

1 hour ago, Magic Hat said:

Have to agree we have had far worse managers than Jim Goodwin who have been given an easy ride by the fans.

Really don't understand the animosity towards him.

We don't play the attacking brand of football we played under Jack Ross but generally results and performances under Jim Goodwin were okay.

Given the size of our support, club etc. we are punching well above our weight, by finishing above full time clubs like Airdrie.

Airdrie are clearly a bigger club than Alloa. However, they were very low end full-time football last season whilst Alloa were paying top part-time wages. I would be very surprised if their budget was bigger than ours. They had Russell and Ryan and very little else. Based on squads we'd have been underachieving finishing behind them last season.

I agree that we have been spoiled in recent times. That doesn't mean we have unrealistic expectations. We had the 2nd best squad in the league (by a wee distance) so thinking we should have been going up wasn't unreasonable. The failure to do so has to mean a budget cut for the new season, and with more full-time teams in the league too we'll have to readjust expectations for the season ahead. I haven't seen any Alloa fans disputing that.

I've already said I was underwhelmed by Goodwin the manager last season. We were never going to get anybody as good as Jack Ross, but I certainly didn't feel Goodwin played his (very strong) hand as well as he could have.  Jack Ross has a talent for keeping things simple. Too often last season Jim Goodwin made things more difficult than they needed to be. He was also a real loss as a player. With Ross in charge and Goodwin in midfield I'd have been very confident of the title. 

That's done now and Goodwin has the chance to build his own team. He's got off to a solid start.