The Alloa Athletic Thread

There's a wonderful photo of Alan Cook knee sliding in front of the Union Bears at Ibrox after he put us 1 nil up there a few season ago. I was going to post it in here but I can't find it [emoji20]

It's on my Twitter

Cook, good player but very very injury prone.

IMG_1495753292.135303.jpg

Mad Cook. What a lower league journeyman he has become. Racking up a fair whack of clubs and he's still only 25!

I was never huge on him but he was just a nipper when he was on our books. I always remember it being rumoured he had a bit of a mental agent who thought he was better than he actually was, may explain all the moves.

I'd have the fear if I was a fan of a club signing Cook. He's been relegated with 4 of his 6 teams by my count (Stirling Albion, Airdrie, Arbroath, Stenhousemuir).

Decent player though, just seems to have an attitude issue/agent filling his head. I remember him scoring when Stirling Albion beat us 5-1 at home, celebrating in front of the fans and saying how nice it was to rub our noses in it after we released him.

Joke was on him. We won the playoffs and went up, and relegated them on the day we cemented 3rd place :lol:

I'd have the fear if I was a fan of a club signing Cook. He's been relegated with 4 of his 6 teams by my count (Stirling Albion, Airdrie, Arbroath, Stenhousemuir).

Cheers for that.

It's a familiar sight this. We sign a player and everyone chips in with their merry tales of caution. Hopefully he turns out like some of the other duds we've signed in the past like Buchanan, Holmes and Simmons...

Having read all of the recent posts, particularly in relation to Marr and Holmes, I can only echo what has been written.
Both of them have been excellent for us over the piece.
That they've been with us for five and six years respectively says much for them as players and people.
And I don't think that they have trotted out the usual rhetoric in expressing how they viewed the club, staff, fans etc., plus that they wanted to stay.

Obviously extremely disappointed at how it all ended but, and we'll never know if it would have made any difference, I can't help but point the finger at Goodwin for leaving Spence out of the starting line-up for the first game at Brechin.

This was our top scorer and, for me, inexplicable that he did so.

After recording the game and watching his interview on Alba prior to Saturday's game, he was asked about that.
I can't remember exactly what he said but he came away with some utter bollocks about the pitch/getting behind their defence etc.

Why couldn't he play to our strengths - which was surely to accommodate the guy who'd already scored over twenty goals?

I get the impression, rightly or not, that Goodwin thinks he's a little more cerebral than others in how he views the game, players and tactics.
Well Jim, how did that ultimately pan out?

I thought that he was trying to be clever for clever's sake.

I've played in teams when similar things have happened. What it does is, instead of instinctively doing the things that have paid off for you a lot of the time, you take that extra nano-second to process and evaluate your next move. Which can make all the difference.

Additionally, I would be certain that there would be a few raised eyebrows amongst the rest of the team about that decision.

Yes, the manager's choice is final and he'll succeed or fail as a result of making those choices.
But because he's the manager, doesn't mean to say that he's right. Only that that's what he believes to be.

Sure, he speaks well and is spoken of in good terms by others.
Unfortunately, that goes for many people. Including some I myself have absolutely no time for.

It's all about opinions.

I just hope that he gets it right in the weeks and season ahead.

2 minutes ago, Into The Valley said:

Having read all of the recent posts, particularly in relation to Marr and Holmes, I can only echo what has been written.
Both of them have been excellent for us over the piece.
That they've been with us for five and six years respectively says much for them as players and people.
And I don't think that they have trotted out the usual rhetoric in expressing how they viewed the club, staff, fans etc., plus that they wanted to stay.

Obviously extremely disappointed at how it all ended but, and we'll never know if it would have made any difference, I can't help but point the finger at Goodwin for leaving Spence out of the starting line-up for the first game at Brechin.

This was our top scorer and, for me, inexplicable that he did so.

After recording the game and watching his interview on Alba prior to Saturday's game, he was asked about that.
I can't remember exactly what he said but he came away with some utter bollocks about the pitch/getting behind their defence etc.

Why couldn't he play to our strengths - which was surely to accommodate the guy who'd already scored over twenty goals?

I get the impression, rightly or not, that Goodwin thinks he's a little more cerebral than others in how he views the game, players and tactics.
Well Jim, how did that ultimately pan out?

I thought that he was trying to be clever for clever's sake.

I've played in teams when similar things have happened. What it does is, instead of instinctively doing the things that have paid off for you a lot of the time, you take that extra nano-second to process and evaluate your next move. Which can make all the difference.

Additionally, I would be certain that there would be a few raised eyebrows amongst the rest of the team about that decision.

Yes, the manager's choice is final and he'll succeed or fail as a result of making those choices.
But because he's the manager, doesn't mean to say that he's right. Only that that's what he believes to be.

Sure, he speaks well and is spoken of in good terms by others.
Unfortunately, that goes for many people. Including some I myself have absolutely no time for.

It's all about opinions.

I just hope that he gets it right in the weeks and season ahead.

Completely agree. I've been to more games this past year than in any previous season, and the standard of play was for the most part very high. There were some entertaining games which is a great advert for our league. But I felt that Goodwin made some odd decisions at times. The fact that he says the right things in the post match interviews meant he got a way with a lot more than he otherwise would have, I feel. 

But ultimately, as you say, it all comes down to what he does now, and how he leads the team next year. He can't rest on Jack Ross's laurels anymore; he has his own team to build, and will be judged on that. 

Heard a whisper that Garry Fleming who was released from Dumbarton was on the radar to sign for Alloa, Fleming was a great player for Dumbarton and scored loads of important goals, I believe he fell out with the manager as have a few other players at the rock hence the reason he was released, this would be a very good signing for Alloa should it come about, what's your thoughts about this?

Heard a whisper that Garry Fleming who was released from Dumbarton was on the radar to sign for Alloa, Fleming was a great player for Dumbarton and scored loads of important goals, I believe he fell out with the manager as have a few other players at the rock hence the reason he was released, this would be a very good signing for Alloa should it come about, what's your thoughts about this?

He would be a welcome addition.

It wasn't inexplicable. It was pretty obvious why he did it.

He obviously just wanted to give Brechin a chance, make the home tie exciting for the telly. Or he just loves league one.

you aught to tell him your opinion!
Craig ..so negative !

Didn't mean to be negative, just trying to see the funny side. Who could blame him for loving league one, we win games, instead of being pumped every week in the championship. Jim Goodwin, he's only looking out for your Saturday afternoons [emoji6]