The Alloa Athletic Thread

16 minutes ago, bsd said:

So basically 5 players gone -

One who was utterly hopeless - Longworth

Was Jamie Longworth really that bad last season? He's a player I always admired at Queen's Park and Stranraer and I would be delighted to him see joining Stenhousemuir.

Jim Goodwin is no Jack Ross but considering some of the managers we have had over the years we could have made a far worse appointment.

Granted he inherited a good team and has made some strange/incorrect personnel decisions but this is his first job and we were a penalty away from being a Championship Team.

Personally I will be interested to see who he brings in during the Summer.

Gutted to see Jason Marr leave, an excellent player for the club and for me a much better partner for the outstanding Andy Graham.

Graeme has been a great servant to the club as well.

1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Was Jamie Longworth really that bad last season? He's a player I always admired at Queen's Park and Stranraer and I would be delighted to him see joining Stenhousemuir.

Yes, he was pish.

Swap you for Willis Furtado.

10 minutes ago, KierenAAFC said:

Aye, I'd definitely take Furtado. Is that a realistic target or is he pushing for FT?

I've no idea but I'd imagine he'll be looking for full-time football. I could see him signing for someone like Queen of the South or Dunfermline Athletic if he stays in Scotland, a lower-end, full-time side. He's certainly got something special about him and if he could impose himself on games more often, he'd be a good player.

Someone told me he was training with a full-time team while he played with Stenny and living with erstwhile Alloa Athletic defender Scott Walker too.

Would anyone take Mackin back next season after he was released from Motherwell? Don't think he did enough to earn a place in a championship team so could be a strong possibility.

Would anyone take Mackin back next season after he was released from Motherwell? Don't think he did enough to earn a place in a championship team so could be a strong possibility.

Goodwin said in Advertiser today that the club are going to speak to Dylan over a possible permanent deal. Announcements expected middle of next week he also said.

Was Jamie Longworth really that bad last season?

No.

Apart from that and claiming Holmes wasn't a regular starter, I agree in general with bsd's post. We've only really released one player who normally started (and one I'm particularly bothered about losing) - the aforementioned Holmes.

No doubt there will be a few more who go as they'll get better offers elsewhere, but there's no real rebuilding job required at the moment.

35 minutes ago, KierenAAFC said:

Goodwin said in Advertiser today that the club are going to speak to Dylan over a possible permanent deal. Announcements expected middle of next week he also said.

Hopefully he will continue to develop next year with us then. Goodwin seems to be keen on him and he fits the system he's been using.

5 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Would love to see Longworth back at Qp. 

6 hours ago, bsd said:

So basically 5 players gone -

One who was utterly hopeless - Longworth

Two who never got a game - Hynd and Wilson

And two who were not automatic starters under Goodwin - Marr and Holmes. Now these two were great servants to Alloa but each manager has his own ideas and maybe they didnt fit Goodwin's.

Hardly any cause to panic.

On a general note I never thought back in December we would be anywhere near the playoffs never mind 2nd place. Thank God Goodwin decided to sit down and manage. He's done very well. You can maybe question a couple of decisions to not start certain players but this is his first management job and is still learning.

If we hadn't made the play-offs then Goodwin would have deserved the sack! He inherited a great squad that was built to win promotion and finishing 2nd should have been expected. The squads that finished below us were clearly inferior. Losing on penalties in the play-offs can be put down to bad luck, but abject performances in two of the four play-off games cannot. The manager's comments after the first Brechin game were also telling - that he had been forced to change his tactics and that it played into Brechin's hands. It was his own choice to make that change.

It's all about opinions but I can't agree with "done very well". I think with different decisions he could have got closer to Livi and certainly won the play-offs. Brechin lost more games than they won, we should not have lost to them. A golden opportunity was missed. 

As for Longworth, he came to us after a bad season and was lacking confidence and match fitness. He needed games that he couldn't get after we started so well. I'd think that with a regular game and getting his belief back up that he could do a job for someone. 

Kirkpatrick is obviously a big loss. Confidence player and Jack Ross will look after that. Fear he won't be the last influential guy to leave. 

Edited by Waspie

A bit surprised Jack has taken Jordan, but I wish him all the best and really hope he does well there. Clearly Jack knows hid strengths and will play him in a position that uses those.

He wasnt that bad at all, never got enough of a chance, people were very harsh on him in my eyes.