TV Deal Next season?

Reading between the lines:

Sky/BT keep their current "Rangers" deal and also swap a combined total of 4 Premiership games for the Edinburgh derbies.

BBC Alba show 16 games involving Hearts and Hibs.

Seems reasonable if that's how it pans out.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reading between the lines:

Sky/BT keep their current "Rangers" deal and also swap a combined total of 4 Premiership games for the Edinburgh derbies.

BBC Alba show 16 games involving Hearts and Hibs.

Seems reasonable if that's how it pans out.

Seems more or less the case, imagine Alba will pick up at least 2 of the Fife derbies as well as a couple of challenge cup games. Happy enough with that.

From something I read earlier today, apparently the new deal being discussed with Sky and BT is worth an extra £2-3 Million this season and will include all Edinburgh derbies and the games versus Rangers for both Edinburgh teams (and some of the bigger Championship clubs as has been done in the bottom two divisions)

From something I read earlier today, apparently the new deal being discussed with Sky and BT is worth an extra £2-3 Million this season and will include all Edinburgh derbies and the games versus Rangers for both Edinburgh teams (and some of the bigger Championship clubs as has been done in the bottom two divisions)

Fingers crossed for this. "Big" Championship clubs like Hearts, Hibs and Rangers all over the TV, but the bulk of the proceeds going to the top flight clubs.

So basically, it's all premiership, Edinburgh bias (what will the west coast make of this) and the Govan Tax Dodgers?

Strange how nothing existed outwith the premiership and Govan until they find themselves where they belong.

I know it's a great oppertunity for most teams, esp Dumbarton, The Coo and ourselves to rake in some hard needed cash, but I hope my lot don't sell their souls to the devil to achieve this.

There's more than a little irony in various pundits mewling about the impact on the topflight of losing Hearts and Hibs... latest being McGhee... when in actual fact it may see extra income flow into the SPFL, most of which will go to topflight clubs!!

There's more than a little irony in various pundits mewling about the impact on the topflight of losing Hearts and Hibs... latest being McGhee... when in actual fact it may see extra income flow into the SPFL, most of which will go to topflight clubs!!

They are on about the fans, losing the fans loses the most cash, TV deal money is diluted compared to straight up ticket money losing two of the 5 or 6 teams that can bring in crowds over 10k in the Premiership as well as losing the biggest support in Scotland when Rangers went into liquidation has been very harmful to the Scottish game, people wonder why clubs aren't able to bring in the fans so much anymore it's because they can't afford the players to attract the fans anymore long gone are the days where superstars play in the Scottish Top flight you'll be lucky if a team has any regular internationalists other than Celtic these days.

They are on about the fans, losing the fans loses the most cash, TV deal money is diluted compared to straight up ticket money losing two of the 5 or 6 teams that can bring in crowds over 10k in the Premiership as well as losing the biggest support in Scotland when Rangers went into liquidation has been very harmful to the Scottish game,

Hold on a moment - by and large these fans haven't gone (or won't be going) anywhere: their clubs are just in lower divisions than previously. They won't be lost to the game and their clubs won't lose their money.

Afterall, there was still 40,000-odd people buying tickets for each game at Ibrox last season.

I've no doubt that 10,000+ people will attend ER and 12,000+ people Tynecastle next season.

Other clubs are impacted to a degree... for example, top-flight clubs missing their travelling supports. However, some clubs will get more from the visits of other clubs (e.g. some gain from Dundee). While everyone benefits from it being easier to finish higher than usual and secure increased prizemoney (e.g. Motherwell).

Obviously lower-league clubs benefit as they will get several bumper crowds next season.

If there was to be a £2M or £3M supplementary TV deal next season then over 3/4 of that should go to Premiership clubs (according to %s of the new 'all-through distribution model').

A figure of say £2.25M is equivalent to over 100,000 adult admissions...

... well over 2,000 adult admissions for every missing Rangers/Hearts/Hibs away game if they were all in Premiership alongside 9 other clubs.

Hold on a moment - by and large these fans haven't gone (or won't be going) anywhere: their clubs are just in lower divisions than previously. They won't be lost to the game and their clubs won't lose their money.

When a team gets relegated generally their attendance's decrease, I wouldn't imagine Hibs and Hearts pulling in crowds much more than 8k next season. Look at Dundee for example a team who during the 2000-2004 patch could almost sell out the home section of there stadium week in week out which alone is about 8.5k whose average attendance while they have been in the 2nd Tier has been between only 4.5k and will reach only maybe 6k next season after promotion.

In general clubs around Scotland(apart from Rangers, Celtic and Hearts - Hearts who in particular have an unusually high average attendance for "mid-table team" ) are reporting increasingly lower attendances each season. I remember when Aberdeen could sellout that 21k seat stadium of there's. When was the last time they done that against a team other than Celtic? The same goes for Hibs, Kilmarnock, Motherwell and Dundee Utd all teams that used to be able to all almost sell out there stadiums with capacities all over 10k week in week out 10 years ago, the money in the Scottish game has vastly decreased since then and if you look at the average attendances decreasing over those seasons it almost directly correlates with the money that has vanished from the Scottish game.

When a team gets relegated generally their attendance's decrease

That's correct. But this isn't a regular sort of situation. I anticipate a drop but not a large one. Some Hearts fans are boldly predicting to rise...

I wouldn't imagine Hibs and Hearts pulling in crowds much more than 8k next season.

I'd be astonished if Hearts drop from 14,000 to 8,000 and Hibs from 11,000 to 8,000. I expect both clubs to drop (why I used 10,000) but what will cause that sort of drop that you envisage: when they've still got Edinburgh derbies, visits from Rangers, plus should hopefully challenge for title / promotion. Hearts crowds won't almost halve.

In general clubs around Scotland(apart from Rangers, Celtic and Hearts - Hearts who in particular have an unusually high average attendance for "mid-table team" ) are reporting increasingly lower attendances each season. I remember when Aberdeen could sellout that 21k seat stadium of there's. When was the last time they done that against a team other than Celtic? The same goes for Hibs, Kilmarnock, Motherwell and Dundee Utd all teams that used to be able to all almost sell out there stadiums with capacities all over 10k week in week out 10 years ago, the money in the Scottish game has vastly decreased since then and if you look at the average attendances decreasing over those seasons it almost directly correlates with the money that has vanished from the Scottish game.

That simply isn't correct. You can find the figures analysed, in detail, in a thread in the Premiership sub-forum. Very many clubs are up, some have been up 2 seasons running.

Your analysis of Aberdeen, Dundee United, Hearts & Hibs have little grounding in reality. All these clubs are doing pretty well in context. "Ten years ago" Hearts were getting 2,200 fewer than this season just ended; Aberdeen 2,600 fewer; Hibs 2,100 fewer.

And OF are among the worst-faring: Celtic are only up 0.3% (last season down 7.8%). Rangers are down 6.7% (last season down 1.3%).

That's correct. But this isn't a regular sort of situation. I anticipate a drop but not a large one. Some Hearts fans are boldly predicting to rise...

I'd be astonished if Hearts drop from 14,000 to 8,000 and Hibs from 11,000 to 8,000. I expect both clubs to drop (why I used 10,000) but what will cause that sort of drop that you envisage: when they've still got Edinburgh derbies, visits from Rangers, plus should hopefully challenge for title / promotion. Hearts crowds won't almost halve.

That simply isn't correct. You can find the figures analysed, in detail, in a thread in the Premiership sub-forum. Very many clubs are up, some have been up 2 seasons running.

Your analysis of Aberdeen, Dundee United, Hearts & Hibs have little grounding in reality. All these clubs are doing pretty well in context. "Ten years ago" Hearts were getting 2,200 fewer than this season just ended; Aberdeen 2,600 fewer; Hibs 2,100 fewer.

And OF are among the worst-faring: Celtic are only up 0.3% (last season down 7.8%). Rangers are down 6.7% (last season down 1.3%).

Is it possible the figures collected from 10 years ago are wrong then? Cause I was going to all the Dundee away matches 10 years ago apart from Ibrox and Parkhead and regularly seeing packed stadiums wherever I went, compared to now when most stadiums are half full at best. It could just be Dundee had an absolutely humongous away support at the time but I doubt it was much higher than the two thousand people that traveled through to Recreation Park for the second last game of the season this year.

Is it possible the figures collected from 10 years ago are wrong then? Cause I was going to all the Dundee away matches 10 years ago apart from Ibrox and Parkhead and regularly seeing packed stadiums wherever I went, compared to now when most stadiums are half full at best. It could just be Dundee had an absolutely humongous away support at the time but I doubt it was much higher than the two thousand people that traveled through to Recreation Park for the second last game of the season this year.

No mate. It's the case however, that you're posting ill informed, received rubbish that's been comprehensively exposed as such by HJ.

You dont think that charitably its more likely to be the case that nostalgia is interfering with your memory? Or less charitably that you are just talking nonsense?

Last time Hibs were in the 2nd tier, their average attendance dropped from 12,025 to 10,433, not a huge drop, considering they did not have Hearts or Rangers in the same Division, this was back in 1998/99.

Although you drop a division if you start winning games, (no guarantee that will happen) you generally get more through the gates.

That is what causes me to think the drop might be to about 10,000.

We'd averaged 11,027 this season; there's much disillusion; we wont run away with it... however, there's Hearts + Rangers; and it'll (hopefully) be competitive.

Hearts' crowds won't be affected too much, since nearly going to the wall there has been and will continue to be a situation where everyone is pulling together for their club (especially if results are going well). We have seen it with Dunfermline (average gates way higher than season before in higher league)

Hibs will probably drop a few thousand to start with but again, if they are challenging and playing well then I imagine folk will start returning.

That's what I'm predicting anyway!

Archived