TV Deal Next season?

Im just wondering is there a an extra tv deal being lined up for next season with so many decent sized clubs in the championship and it hopefully being quite competitive?

I would imagine the SPFL could get an unexpected few extra quid. If interest picks up in the league perhaps future TV deals for other seasons ahead?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rangers games will be covered as per and that'll be about it. Most top flight games don't really bring in the viewers on Sky, so I can't imagine a rush to screen the Championship.

Im just wondering is there a an extra tv deal being lined up for next season with so many decent sized clubs in the championship and it hopefully being quite competitive?

I would imagine the SPFL could get an unexpected few extra quid. If interest picks up in the league perhaps future TV deals for other seasons ahead?

IIRC, amendments to the TV deal agreed after Rangers went bust were (as before) for upto and including 2014-15.

It now includes 65 games across all divisions instead of 60 SPL games. If so there won't be any new deal, because they've already got Championship rights.

EDIT: From what they're saying below it sounds like they might expand the current deal, so more than 65 games overall. Heaven knows what kind of Premiership stuff will be shown.

There was something in the Sunday Post a couple of weeks back about a revised deal to show more games from the Championship, because Hearts (for some reason) are seen as attracting viewers.

Naturally, it was framed as being "in jeopardy" because of the latest financial goings-on at Ibrox.

But it would make some sense - I'm sure a game like Falkirk v Hearts could bring in more viewers than St Johnstone v Ross County (which is being shown on Saturday, before someone throws my own 'pick shite games to prove a point' argument back at me).

There was something in the Sunday Post a couple of weeks back about a revised deal to show more games from the Championship, because Hearts (for some reason) are seen as attracting viewers.

Naturally, it was framed as being "in jeopardy" because of the latest financial goings-on at Ibrox.

But it would make some sense - I'm sure a game like Falkirk v Hearts could bring in more viewers than St Johnstone v Ross County (which is being shown on Saturday, before someone throws my own 'pick shite games to prove a point' argument back at me).

Falkirk v Hearts? :rolleyes:

Are you that confident that the title is sewed up already?

Falkirk v Hearts? :rolleyes:

Are you that confident that the title is sewed up already?

"Like" Falkirk v Hearts.

But I'm hardly going to suggest a game involving my own team, because I'd like to hope we won't be in this division.

Spfl board are hoping to strike a deal soon . Worth over 2m to the teams

For all 4 divisions? If that is the case then will it still mean that the majority of the money spent on second tier games will be allocated to teams in the top division?

Slightly unrelated, but I would love to see them bring back the Sunday 6pm games. They were good and always had a real buzz about them kicking off at that time.

They would be great. 12pm on a Sunday is awful.

Spfl board are hoping to strike a deal soon . Worth over 2m to the teams

That would at least go some way to covering the lack of naming rights sponsors (previously £3M overall, IIRC).

For all 4 divisions? If that is the case then will it still mean that the majority of the money spent on second tier games will be allocated to teams in the top division?

Yes.

% breakdowns here:

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/aberdeen/229106-how-much-money-does-your-club-stand-to-make-from-league-reconstruction/

Exactly that happened last season in SFL as the rulebook said money beyond a certain threshold was split-up 55% to SFL1, 33% to SFL2 and 12% to SFL3. It meant that despite all TV games in SFL's £1M TV deal with SPL being from the bottom tier, clubs there only got £12k, whilst SFL1's got 5x more.

The Old Firm are a poison. Just have to go back to Boxing Day last season when Celtic pished where they stood in the stand and gave off a very sinister atmosphere purely because the game was at 7:45pm.

The Sunday night games continued up until 2001 (2/3 years after the Parkhead title debacle) - Sky then switched to showing Scottish games at 5.30 on a Saturday night for 1 season until BBC bought the rights - they showed them at 3pm on a Sunday afternoon. It wasn't until Setanta bought the deal that they started phasing in the shite kick off times.

Dundee had a few Sunday night games but our record in them was pretty woeful - United beat us twice, Hibs beat us in a 4-3 thriller, Celtic beat us with the last kick of the ball in 2000, Rangers won the title against us at Ibrox and also gave us 7 in a game at Dens to name a few. The best Sunday night game was obviously Grady's winner at Tannadice though.

Slightly of topic but how many games are left on the agreement for this season? Since both the SPL and League Un are already finished surely there is some scope to show some exciting promotion and relegation games before the end of the season instead of the usual Old Firm guff?

Slightly of topic but how many games are left on the agreement for this season? Since both the SPL and League Un are already finished surely there is some scope to show some exciting promotion and relegation games before the end of the season instead of the usual Old Firm guff?

There are 15 Premiership games and 2 Rangers ones on TV up until the end of season according to the SPFL site. I'm guessing the play offs will be shown on something like BBC fucking Alba, will be lucky to see anything else though unfortunately.

I'd probably choose Hamilton v Dundee (1st and 2nd just now), over Dundee United v Celtic though.

• 2 months later...

Bump.

Today's Scotsman says that BBC Alba will take a new deal to show 16 Championship matches over the course of the season, mostly on Friday nights and no more than 2 per ground with no Rangers games included. They've already had a small deal for the Premiership (of 3 games IIRC) the last few years. In the article the implication seems that Sky-BT will look to renegotiate their deal to increase their current allowance of 15 lower-level games.

Archived