First stop - Dortmund

Big Fifer

Sorted travel earlier this afternoon. 6 of us fly Glasgow - Amsterdam on the Friday with KLM, one night there in an apartment, train to Dortmund on the Saturday, 2 nights there then the reverse journey on the Monday. This is almost the route we took in 2003 except we stayed in Essen for some reason (Dortmund was full?!).

Experience has taught me that the worst bit of the journey is the last leg home so always try to arrive back into Glasgow airport even if it costs a bit more- came back from Lithuania in 2010 to Prestwick and wanted to kill myself on the train home.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought someone here said it was mandatory?

Surprised, frankly. We'll go 6 months (early March to early September) with only a post-season friendly v Nigeria before facing Germany.

I wish they would at least explain why they are passing up one of the few international dates

Sorted travel earlier this afternoon. 6 of us fly Glasgow - Amsterdam on the Friday with KLM, one night there in an apartment, train to Dortmund on the Saturday, 2 nights there then the reverse journey on the Monday. This is almost the route we took in 2003 except we stayed in Essen for some reason (Dortmund was full?!).

Experience has taught me that the worst bit of the journey is the last leg home so always try to arrive back into Glasgow airport even if it costs a bit more- came back from Lithuania in 2010 to Prestwick and wanted to kill myself on the train home.

Prices did you get for that? Sounds like a decent route you've got planned there. Well it appeals to mr anyway.

Prices did you get for that? Sounds like a decent route you've got planned there. Well it appeals to mr anyway.

Had to change apartment to hotels in Amsterdam as pretty much all apartments are 2 night min stay. Other than that, flights were £145, train will be €53 and hotels are about €40 pppn. About £290 roughly at current exchange rates.

edit to add euro symbol

Expecting to get 10% from the German FA for this game, which would be roughly 8,000 tickets. Think they'd be wanting a similar percentage for coming over here. Hopefully 3 points will be enough to secure a ticket.

Expecting to get 10% from the German FA for this game, which would be roughly 8,000 tickets. Think they'd be wanting a similar percentage for coming over here. Hopefully 3 points will be enough to secure a ticket.

Well 2 points is enough to secure one of the 5,500 tickets for the Nigeria game so not sure if you would even need 3. Will the capacity for this game not be at the ~65,000 mark due to having to make use of seats rather than standing?

Source?

ETA: 10% would give us 6,500 tickets.

Didn't take into account the reduced capacity due to safe standing etc. So roughly 6,00 would be the target. Just guessing on the 10% front, with Poland/Ireland/Scotland all going to be able to take large crowds over, i'd assume they'd be wanting similar capacity in return.

Well 2 points is enough to secure one of the 5,500 tickets for the Nigeria game so not sure if you would even need 3. Will the capacity for this game not be at the ~65,000 mark due to having to make use of seats rather than standing?

Really want to make the Nigeria game so I can go onto 4, but just isn't going to happen. If that's the case then that is good. Yeah you're right, didn't take the reduced capacity into consideration.

Didn't take into account the reduced capacity due to safe standing etc. So roughly 6,00 would be the target. Just guessing on the 10% front, with Poland/Ireland/Scotland all going to be able to take large crowds over, i'd assume they'd be wanting similar capacity in return.

Really want to make the Nigeria game so I can go onto 4, but just isn't going to happen. If that's the case then that is good. Yeah you're right, didn't take the reduced capacity into consideration.

I hope so as I will be borderline with my points, I am still unsure whether to buy flights etc now or wait until ticket info is released but no idea how long that could be.

I hope so as I will be borderline with my points, I am still unsure whether to buy flights etc now or wait until ticket info is released but no idea how long that could be.

Yeah it's always a concern, I go with a travel club so already put down £100 deposit, see how far that gets me!

Flights booked this morning for 8 of us, Manchester - Dusseldorf for £178.20 return. We'll probably look into staying somewhere in Dusseldorf on the Friday night as we don't get in until half 10 at night, and then train through to Dortmund on the Saturday.

We got fucked over a bit on price because Lufthansa only let you book a maximum of 6 at a time. So the price had gone up when I booked the other 2 people onto the same flight. It meant two charges for using a credit card as well :thumbsdown

I think I'm the only one with any points (a solitary point from Wembley), so here's hoping for a fan zone that doesn't get rained off!

Will the Germans sell out? The place holds 80 k no?

Big crowd after they win the world cup...

Was hoping for Berlin or Dortmund for the game so happy with that. Read a few things from folk that were over the last time saying Dortmund is a bit of a dump!

We booked flights to Frankfurt-Hahn (which is no less than 75 miles from Frankfurt) when the draw made for about £150. Worked out not too bad. Booked the train from the nearest station to Dusseldorf. Staying there for two nights - we'll head back there from Dortmund after the game - then staying in Cologne on the Monday. All train journeys worked out at a rather tidy £40 a head for a group booking.

Not in the SSC so hoping to land tickets for the German end, but it'll be a giggle even if we don't.

Can't wait. Love ze Germans.

Archived