Twin Peaks

yoda

As a lover of the first two series back - well 25 years ago! - I made the decision to stay up and watch this on Sky Atlantic at 2am. Suffering for it now, but worth it.

Lynch obviously can push the envelope in terms of what he can do for a 9pm prime time show in the states now, but the F word?!?!?!?!? Bums? Boobies?

It's much darker now, and may have lost the quirky humour the originals had, but very much early days.

Couldn't keep my half shut eyes off it!

Just watched first 2 episodes, wonderfully bizarre, stylish, everything I expected and more. Great to see so many of the original cast turning up and wow, even Monica Bellucci getting a bit part.

Edited by JustOneCornetto

8 hours ago, Nizzy said:

Episode 3 is the weirdest hour of television ever. Completely bonkers. Bizarre.

The first 20 minutes or so of Episode 3 ranks right up there with the most disorientating, surreal, nightmarish work of Lynch's career. Twin Peaks meets Eraserhead.

Spoiler

The bizarre glitching effect and the incessant cacophonous pounding on the door in the 'woman with no eyes' scene combined to produce an experience unlike anything I've ever seen / heard on TV before. More akin to psychological torture than entertainment, but absolutely terrifying / fascinating

This is even more audacious than I expected, and I expected it to be wild. As is characteristic of Lynch's very best work, this is suffused with a terrible sense of foreboding. It's a real slow burner (the pacing is so leisurely it makes the first series of True Detective look like a Guy Ritchie movie), but so many great moments already:

Spoiler

the black and white scene with the giant and the gramophone; the 'evolution of the Arm'; the freak show family that Bad Coop visited in episode 1; the box / portal to the Black Lodge situated inexplicably in a Manhattan apartment block; the ghost in the cell; the Bad Coop / Phillip Jeffries connection; the school principal who commits acts of carnage 'in dreams'; Sarah Palmer watching that insane wildlife documentary; Bad Coop impersonating Good Coop

This is astonishing so far.

Edited by Frankie S

8 hours ago, Frankie S said:

The first 20 minutes or so of Episode 3 ranks right up there with the most disorientating, surreal, nightmarish work of Lynch's career. Twin Peaks meets Eraserhead.

Hide contents

The bizarre glitching effect and the incessant cacophonous pounding on the door in the 'woman with no eyes' scene combined to produce an experience unlike anything I've ever seen / heard on TV before. More akin to psychological torture than entertainment, but absolutely terrifying / fascinating

This is even more audacious than I expected, and I expected it to be wild. As is characteristic of Lynch's very best work, this is suffused with a terrible sense of foreboding. It's a real slow burner (the pacing is so leisurely it makes the first series of True Detective look like a Guy Ritchie movie), but so many great moments already:

Hide contents

the black and white scene with the giant and the gramophone; the 'evolution of the Arm'; the freak show family that Bad Coop visited in episode 1; the box / portal to the Black Lodge situated inexplicably in a Manhattan apartment block; the ghost in the cell; the Bad Coop / Phillip Jeffries connection; the school principal who commits acts of carnage 'in dreams'; Sarah Palmer watching that insane wildlife documentary; Bad Coop impersonating Good Coop

This is astonishing so far.

It most certainly is. Trying to determine if it's must see or cant miss TV! Only downside is I've watched first 4 episodes and don't know if I need to wait a fortnight before 5 & 6 come on!

15 hours ago, King Kebab said:

If the backwards talking dwarf isn't in it, I'm not watching!!!

Michael J Anderson who played the part had some sort of falling out with Lynch so it's unlikely we'll be seeing the dwarf again.

There's lots of new things though and having just watched Episode 3 I have to agree that it's about the weirdest hour I've ever watched on tv, definitely way into Eraserhead territory. Having said that there are some real comic moments in between, the Andy/Lucy/Hawk scene, the slot machines and what the hell is the old man up to with those shovels?

I'll probably watch Episode 4 this week then watch them all again before 5 and 6 are aired.

Going by his Facebook page, Michael J Anderson who played the little man in the red suit seems to have some serious mental issues.  There's also many accounts of him being very difficult to work with.  Apparently, he was originally going to be in the new series so presumably his lines are still being used by being said by someone else - hence why we've seen quite a lot of MIKE so far.

I've really enjoyed it, even though it is bizarre, even more so than the latter episodes of the original.  I really like the new sheriff and that sequence with Andy and Lucy's motorbiker son was bizarre television.  What a monologue that was!

4 hours ago, pub car king said:

Albert appears to have toned it down sadly 

Yeah, he is a lot more muted in this. Miguel Ferrer (who played Albert) died not long after filming wrapped.

16 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Going by his Facebook page, Michael J Anderson who played the little man in the red suit seems to have some serious mental issues.  There's also many accounts of him being very difficult to work with.  Apparently, he was originally going to be in the new series so presumably his lines are still being used by being said by someone else - hence why we've seen quite a lot of MIKE so far.

Anderson's said a lot of nasty things about Lynch in recent years. He seems to be genuinely deranged. By some reports, Lynch was still prepared to use him, but he was holding out for far too much money. Lynch replacing him with that weird tree-like 'Evolution of the Arm' thing is hilarious. 

16 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

I really like the new sheriff and that sequence with Andy and Lucy's motorbiker son was bizarre television.  What a monologue that was!

Seems to be dividing the fans, but I loved that monologue too. Lynch's comedy can be hit or miss, but Wally Brando hit the spot for me. Any son of Andy and Lucy was always going to be a bit 'different.' :lol:

8 hours ago, Frankie S said:

Anderson's said a lot of nasty things about Lynch in recent years. He seems to be genuinely deranged. By some reports, Lynch was still prepared to use him, but he was holding out for far too much money. Lynch replacing him with that weird tree-like 'Evolution of the Arm' thing is hilarious. 

Seemingly in the last few days, people have been trolling MJA's Facebook page with comments such as 'I think it's time you branched out' and 'In the last episode, your acting was a little wooden!" :lol:

Watched the first two episodes.  It held my attention, partly because I had no idea what was going on for quite a lot of it. I feel bad for Coop.  

Edit: I see Michael J Anderson is a big fan of Prison Planet and Infowars, and spends his entire online time posting about how much he dislikes Twin Peaks.  

Edited by Savage Henry