Twin Peaks

yoda

Watching this again with my bidey in, she's never seen it before. I don't think it's really grabbing her, we've just started the second series. I'm worried about any episode after about halfway through this series although I've told her we need to get through it before it gets mental in series 3.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Excuse the length of this video, I'm only an hour in but it's pretty interesting so far.
Just finished this off and have to say first of all that guy has done a seriously impressive body of work there!

I'd watched everything through in fairly quick succession in time to watch the return, and although I struggled through some of it (and it lost the Mrs along the way) I always felt that there was a deeper power behind it all that kept me with it even when it seemed totally off track. My overwhelming feeling since has been that i feel it's been one of the most worthwhile pieces of TV I've ever watched and still gets under my skin today and this video has just reinforced all of that.

Many thanks for sharing this.

Aye, I can't possibly even begin to put all of the guys points into a logical picture but the best way I can get my small little mind to digest it is to say that it's all a good vs evil story where evil is the disposable nature of modern society, and that is totally fine with me.

When I got to the last half hour I paused while I made a percolator of damn fine Joe and basked in the beauty of the final reveal.

• 7 months later...

I've just finished watching this and it was some experience. Season One and bits of two were brilliant, the Windom Earle, Nadine and beauty pageant stuff was horrific and season three was mind blowing. 

Fire Walk With Me was the highlight though. Seeing things from Laura's perspective absolutely shattered me after voyeuristically enjoying the investigation into her murder. It completely changed the dynamic of the narrative.

When I finished watching season two I was chuffed I had dodged waiting decades for Cooper to get out the Black Lodge. More fool me. There is definitely scope for season four or another movie.

As amazing as it was there were still some frustrating stuff and I was always thinking that Cooper stayed catatonic for so long because it's quicker/cheaper to film scenes with minimal dialogue. I'm also certain that Sherilyn Fenn's plastic surgery obliterating the minimal acting skills she had had a big influence on the final cut. The plot with Norma getting frustrated with the cheap RR franchises was Lynch having a dig at the process of making a TV series and the problems of pleasing networks which explains why there have been so few good ones. 

• 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I'm doing a rewatch and it's really striking how bad a detective Cooper is. Donna and Audrey do actual investigating while he just talks to the Giant who he doesn't understand and eventually Laura just tells him it was her father.

Cooper being hopeless led to Maddy being murdered, Audrey being drugged and Donna almost being murdered by Leyland. After they find Maddy's body and get the time of death either James or Donna could tell him Leyland is lying but he doesn't talk to them at all. Later on he is also to blame for Annie going into the red room. 

Thinking about it like that idiot Dougie passively solving the fraud case and being hailed as a genius feels like a comment on Cooper's role in the original series. It also makes me think that what we see of real Cooper in the final two episodes which looks like him saving the day is actually him fucking up and creating the crazy Return Twin Peaks where everyone is miserable and Audrey is being tortured and the new universe where Laura/Carrie is endlessly tortured. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pretty much confirmed that there won't be a new Lynch film but there is going to be a new documentary looking at how The Wizard of Oz has influenced Lynch. Called Lynch/Oz it will be screened at the Tribeca Festival in June

https://www.joblo.com/lynch-oz-documentary-the-wizard-of-oz-david-lynch/

• 1 year later...