cancel sky sports and buy a season book

Sky-ESPN pay £13,000,000 for 65 games now, IIRC, so that's £200,000 per game.

I remember a while back seeing the figures broken down and compared with the EPL on an approximate "Amount per viewer per game" basis. Don't suppose you have those figures?

Nah, I was hinting towards SKY possibly upping the amount on the deal the SPFL get at the moment. I'm happy to watch Celtic getting raped on the park once in a blue moon when we draw an EPL club in Europe and not on a weekly basis thanks very much.

When did an English club last "Rape" Celtic in Europe?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

£200 seems very low for the average ST

Unless they're giving them away at Ibrox

Across all 42 clubs though? It can't be that far off £250 perhaps? At Berwick a ST is £144. I suppose it will be inflated by such a large portion of STs being at "big clubs". Even if we make it £325 that's 40,000 STs.

I remember a while back seeing the figures broken down and compared with the EPL on an approximate "Amount per viewer per game" basis. Don't suppose you have those figures?

Current pair of deals with Sky + BT are worth £6.5M a game, so 30x what SPFL get. But obviously it is much more popular, England is bigger and there's competition for rights.

Current pair of deals with Sky + BT are worth £6.5M a game, so 30x what SPFL get. But obviously it is much more popular, England is bigger and there's competition for rights.

Not quite what I was looking for, but a step in the right direction. Given England has 10x the population, you would expect them to receive at least 10x the money, but when based on a pure viewing figure amount I'm sure it worked out in many cases that Sky were essentially valuing viewers of English games at a far higher monetary rate than Scotland. IE, that £6.5m per game in England would work out at £6.50 per viewer on average, and in Scotland the £220k per game in Scotland would work out at £1 per viewer.

We stopped subscribing to Sky Sports at the start of this season and tbh we don't really miss it. We still get BT and watch the Bundesliga but had kind of already gone off watch the EPL games as 90% of the time they were shite and usually were either Liverpool or Chelsea whom I can't stand.

Have been going to more games this season and must admit we're enjoying the Scottish stuff a lot more - been some decent matches and I disagree with the stock 'the product is poor' comments, it can be sometimes (as can the EPL in proportion to what it should be) but often we get some decent games. It's a matter I perspective

Of course there wouldnt. If those watching free streams actually ponyed up for what they are watching then Sky would make more money and pay more for to the SPFL

Thanks for a sensible answer to an idiotic post on my part but I was kinda making the same point only trying to be facit...fecit..facet...a smart alec while doing it...and failing.

The Opening Post is drivel and I'd imagine that the vast, vast majority of folk who have season tickets also have Sky Sports; the folk who have Sky Sports but no season ticket would not buy a season ticket whether they had Sky Sports or not.

Is this where I write FACT! to make it seem like I know what I'm talking about?

the mount of money fans and supporters spend on sky sports in this country compared to the money the clubs get back in the tv deals is shocking,it's time fans and supporters in this country DUMPED sky and went out to buy a season book,if you love your football,football is about fans going to the game not sitting in the house and paying the fat cats.

Agree entirely. Many fans want it both ways. They complain about falling attendances, lack of atmosphere and odd kick off times but will happily watch football on the box. By withdrawing support from televised football they would also help to erode the power of the English Premiership, which is harming football the world over.

• 11 months later...

i posted this last year and in light of the recent sky and bt deal i think every fan in Scotland now knows that Scottish football is getting left behind in terms of money from tv,Scottish football gets a pittance off both these companies, it's clear that these companies have no interest in helping Scottish football with £10 million each game in England,if you enjoy watching the game in England remember it comes at a price to the Scottish game.

i posted this last year and in light of the recent sky and bt deal i think every fan in Scotland now knows that Scottish football is getting left behind in terms of money from tv,Scottish football gets a pittance off both these companies, it's clear that these companies have no interest in helping Scottish football with £10 million each game in England,if you enjoy watching the game in England remember it comes at a price to the Scottish game.

Agree with u, but scotlandshire now has a fascination with the glorious english premiership and stuffs wads of cash in the pockets of players such as Wayne Rooney.

I suppose everyone looks up to their big brother. Region of sh1tebags

Are we seriously comparing our league to the English PL?

They've had a more powerful league and more money than us even before the mega TV deals existed. We really need to be more realistic.

The Sky Sports/BT deal was apparently the only one available to us. They used the lack of OF games and reduced viewing figures to get a better deal for themselves, which is fair.

Ultimately a better TV deal would probably mean that the bigot-fest has been exhumed; and f**k that.

Generally people know this but...

Question - does your mum /dad/auntie/uncle/inlaws/grandparents etc have sky sports?

If yes do they use other technology to watch it (iPads, phones, computers?) if not get round theirs and get their Sky account number and get it on your mobile device. Pay £20 for google chrome cast or equivalent (or just use an hdmi cable) and get the full sky package for nowt. Each sky account has 2 additional devices that can be linked to it.

Bt sport is the same although I can't see a limit on devices.

There is no reason for everyone in a family/ group of mates to pay sky the full whack when1 subscription can cover 3 seperate households.

Archived