cancel sky sports and buy a season book

It's the whole Sky-ESPN deal from what I recall... They increased it from 60 SPL games to 65 games (from any division) after Rangers folded.

There's also a small deal for worldwide rights (announced in China) plus BBC Alba have rights to a few live games.

Another way to look at it is that £13,000,000 divided by 42 clubs is £310,000 per club.

Or another way would be to say that if the league-wide ST average is say £200 then it's equivalent to 65,000* adult STs.

(*65,000 is about 3/4 of a typical weekends actual league-wide attendance, btw)

So, every team in the country only needs to increase its attendances by 50%. No problem. Cant think why none have them have done it already, to be honest

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have Sky since Bt haven't updated it yet, useless arseholes. I so however have a ticket book, we're still old school in Perth. Although a card makes so much more sense and I could fill the last spot in my wallet.

Hmmmm, conundrum at its best. Wait sorry what's the question being asked....

So, if I ditch SKY (and BT, which I get for free), I lose the chance to watch any Scottish games, (including BBC and STV coverage, when there is any), Bundesliga, Ligue Un, La Liga, Serie A, English games and assorted Internationals.

Oh, and lots of NFL, golf, Tennis, Rugby (real and League). And horse racing. And a dedicated sports channel.

And in return? Enough to buy diesel for maybe four trips to RP. Then there's the ST on top. And the pies. And the programmes. And the other ancillary costs.

Oh, and even with an "up and down in a day" trip*, there's the time which, according to Mrs WRK, would be better spent with her and the rosettes. Women, eh?

In all honesty, were I able to cut back on extra hours at work, I'd be making occasional visits at best - that's what happens when other priorities arise in life. My life, anyway. I would never dare to presume that others' are any different.

I'd love to be able to go every week like I did in the 70's and 80's - I'd also love to be going to the Apollo and the Piv in my spare time, seeing great music; taking a "shag what's available" approach to my love life; playing two and sometimes three games on a weekend; and drinking until the early hours and making work in the morning. Not all of these taking place at the same point in my life, obviously. ;)

Anyhoo- my point: it's the ones who are at, or haven't reached, my "sweet spot" years that the clubs need to get through the gates. Those such as myself, who are unable or unwilling to commit to regular attendance, they'll have to rely on to swell numbers at big games, or add a few to the regular attendance. Get them while they're young, and you've got them for life? No, but you've got them for the length of time that football is at the top of the time and money priority list. Killie will always be my team, and always have a special place in my heart, but anyone who reaches my advanced age while still prioritising a sporting team is, IMHO, missing a hell of a lot from their life.

* Last time I did that was for the LC Final in 2007 - one fúck of a long day. :(

Back at the end of season 05/06 (I think), we still had season ticket books. After the last game of the season, I foolishly decided to put mine in a post box on Halbeath road. Of course it wasn't until I was later down the road that I realised it had my name and address in it. Nothing came of it though.

I haven't got a season book, but I've got a season ticket. Do I have to ditch the ticket and get a book instead?

I don't have a book or ticket i have a card....WTF do I do....?

Don't have sky incidentally..

If the point is as simple as getting your fat arse of the sofa and go and watch the team you claim to support, then I'm in agreement. I would rather have a football discussion with a fan of Dumbarton or Cowdenbeath, who goes to games, than listen to someone that claims to support Celtic or Aberdeen yet doesn't actually go. If you don't go to games, then what you have to say about it is irrelevant.

the mount of money fans and supporters spend on sky sports in this country compared to the money the clubs get back in the tv deals is shocking,it's time fans and supporters in this country DUMPED sky and went out to buy a season book,if you love your football,football is about fans going to the game not sitting in the house and paying the fat cats.

Well that's me convinced.

the mount of money fans and supporters spend on sky sports in this country compared to the money the clubs get back in the tv deals is shocking,it's time fans and supporters in this country DUMPED sky and went out to buy a season book,if you love your football,football is about fans going to the game not sitting in the house and paying the fat cats.

There is always the option of keeping SKY and having a season ticket to help increase the finances for your club.

To a point I do agree with you !, SKY don't pay their fair share to the SPFL as they keep propping up that abomination of a league called the EPL with money generated in Scotland.

But you'll have to blame them fuckers who decided to go with SETANTA for a million pounds more in the first place, now we don't get as much as used to get since SETANTA went bust.

The thing to do is dump Sky Sports and watch football on one of the free pirate streams, that way Sky get nothing but you still get to watch football and the money you save can go towards...oh I don't know...a butler.

The clubs are no longer "ripped off" by Sky Sports because Sky Sports has gone bust because everyone is watching the free streams (would there still be free streams if the Pay TV Companies all went broke because we were all watching free streams? I don't know tbh)

Anyway...

I rather lost my train of thought in there somewhere...what was the question?

Archived