SPFL 16-16-10

16 team league with no split and a winter shutdown. Turn the league cup into a "champions league" style to make up for lost games.

16 team premiership

16 team championship

then regional leagues

Top 2 leagues play 30 games, with a guarantee of 3 home league cup games.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, his model would see the 10 current SPFL2 clubs regionalised.

Tbf, personally I'd be OK with that (many wouldn't!!) but not with 2 levels of 16 above.

Ah ok.....I used to be against the split & in favor of a bigger league (16 or 18.) but your reasoning & recent post split excitement has swung me in favor of 3no 14 divisions with 7-7 split......regional pyramid league below that of course though.

Outwith the 4 divisions we have yes

I don't think any of the 42 clubs should be forced into the tedium of regional leagues unless they are relegated into a set up i.e lowland league.

I find the idea of being forced into playing the same teams all the time just because they are nearby ridiculous. we have national leagues for a reason

Outwith the 4 divisions we have yes

I don't think any of the 42 clubs should be forced into the tedium of regional leagues unless they are relegated into a set up i.e lowland league.

I find the idea of being forced into playing the same teams all the time just because they are nearby ridiculous. we have national leagues for a reason

The funny thing is, you ask many Junior, Highland League (etc) fans and they say the opposite. There aren't many nations, and none of our size, in Europe that start regionalisation of leagues after the 42nd club (never mind in the 5th tier). At least we do have a system in place now, even if it could be improved.

The bottom line, though, is that clubs shouldn't be forced into something that they don't want, or something that wouldn't work well for them.

The funny thing is, you ask many Junior, Highland League (etc) fans and they say the opposite. There aren't many nations, and none of our size, in Europe that start regionalisation of leagues after the 42nd club (never mind in the 5th tier). At least we do have a system in place now, even if it could be improved.

The bottom line, though, is that clubs shouldn't be forced into something that they don't want, or something that wouldn't work well for them.

Don't get me wrong here i appreciate that other nations are different & i am happy for them that they think that works, the idea to me though seems completely stale.

I would 100% perfer to follow Ayr (at what would be their lowest ever ebb in this description) playing Elgin away in League Two than playing Irvine Meadow in some scuddy Ayrshire league.

I'm glad you appreciate my point though about clubs not being forced into something, The SPFL recognized this when they allowed the bottom two leagues to continue as was (but adding a potential relegation to league two)

Don't get me wrong here i appreciate that other nations are different & i am happy for them that they think that works, the idea to me though seems completely stale.

I would 100% perfer to follow Ayr (at what would be their lowest ever ebb in this description) playing Elgin away in League Two than playing Irvine Meadow in some scuddy Ayrshire league.

I'm glad you appreciate my point though about clubs not being forced into something, The SPFL recognized this when they allowed the bottom two leagues to continue as was (but adding a potential relegation to league two)

On the other hand, Ayr v Meadow would draw a higher attendance under most circumstances, and incur far less costs for the traveling club. Regionalisation makes financial sense when implemented correctly. With involvement in national cup competitions bringing the longer away days and variety to keep things interesting.

Again, I wouldn't want too force this, and there's no simple solution to implement something like this. But I do see the benefits of it. There's the personal preference of the travelling fan in here as well. I mostly only go to away games that aren't too far away as I don't have the time or money to make the longer trips. But I wouldn't want to penalise the most dedicated fans because more fans make the shorter trips.

I do think that there are better compromises, but no easy solutions.

The funny thing is, you ask many Junior, Highland League (etc) fans and they say the opposite. There aren't many nations, and none of our size, in Europe that start regionalisation of leagues after the 42nd club (never mind in the 5th tier).

There also aren't many (ie practically none) with as high relative attendances as Scottish football. Which suggests even if only at a basic level that the system is broadly effective.

Not very fair to play teams competing with you 3 times and half of clubs to receive 19 home games but half 18. Also more of a liklihood of quite a few clubs having meaningless games post-split. Also weakening the 2nd tier by taking the 4 biggest clubs out, yet possibly relegating 3 into it instead of 2.

Lets Say United and Aberdeen play one season - Utd have 2 home games and Dons have one, the next season if both teams are in the Prem it would be Dons with 2 home games and United with one. And under the 12 team format some teams have 20 home games whilst others have 18. Or we could have a 30 game season with a winter shutdown.

You're then robbing clubs of a significant portion of their income. And providing a cashflow problem by inserting a fallow period in the playing season. And hoping any bad weather hits during your shutdown, not either side. "Progress" is not slashing the number of games from 38 to 30, whilst adding mouths to the top level, creating meaningless mid-table, and weakening the strength of the division below which relegated clubs have to drop into, hand-in-hand with increasing the potential relegation places from 2 to 3...!!

Your suggestion of balancing the fixtures over 2 seasons would be a mitigation but it's still inherently unfair to play all your rivals in the relevant split thrice you'd have to agree. And, just like the current system, it only works if the same clubs finish in the same split each season. Granted the current system has the potential for inequitable outcomes but much less so than your system would. Seriously, I don't think the clubs would wear it.

What we've got isn't broke, and for that reason we don't need to fix it, IMO.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I believe 16 teams in the Premiership are too many, there would be too many weak teams.

Don't forget Scotland is a country with just 5.2 million people.

16 teams would create a too wide meaningless mid-table.

A 16 team-league needs a split to play enough games, otherwise just 30 rounds are not enough.

I'm not saying that split is bad, but I'd rather get rid of it.

Furthermore a 16 team-league would weaken too much the championship, by taking the 4 biggest clubs out.

14-team-league is a better solution IMO,

with each team meeting each one of the other teams 3 times (one time at home, one time away, plus one more time either home or away)

for a total of 39 matches.

Each team will play a second home match vs one "old firm" (either Celtic or Rangers).

The teams allotted two home matches against an opponent in one season are allotted one home match against that opponent in the following season.

3 relegation spots. The bottom club would be automatically relegated,

the teams that finish 12th and 13th would enter promotion play-offs with the second and third placed from Championship. *

+Pros:

- No More Split

- More teams

- Less matches with the same boring teams

- Safer format for mid-sized Premiership clubs than at present (where 11th can be relegated)

- More balanced number of home matches per team in a season than at present (19 or 20)

I don't think clubs would be unhappy playing playing everyone thrice,

if a team plays 19 home games this season they will play 20 home games next season and vice versa, so it's quite balanced.

In addition I deliberately specified that each team will be granted a further home match vs only one Old Firm team.

With the split, top half would be happy playing 2 more times with top clubs,

while bottom half would be disappointed playing 2 more times small clubs, since there's a big difference in revenue between playing for a further two times Old Firm than having games against mid-small teams.

For them the real Premiership ends after 26 weeks and supporters will be bothered, they don't want more games just with small teams.

Archived