SPFL 16-16-10

Looks like the 12 -12 ( 8 - 8 - 8 ) - 18 pish is back on tha table boys.

For f**k sake

I think it's a great idea. Unworkable because the vast majority of football fans don't want it, but I love the idea nonetheless :)

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Aye its weird concept which looks like it could be fun. But this is the sort of league structure you playbat amatuer/schoolboy level. Not professional level.

Amateur and schoolboy level is usually fairly straightforward.....there's not the requirement to fill dates or sell a product. The average Scottish football fan is just too thick to comprehend anything that they aren't spoonfed by journos from the Record and the Sun.

12-12 (8-8-8) could work if done correctly, I think the points should be reset to 0 at the split.

22 games, then split

Top 8

14 games shootout for the title, 2nd gets a Europa league spot and 3rd-5th along with league cup winner get Europa league playoffs

Middle 8

Top 4 qualify for next year's prem

Bottom 8

Bottom 3 or 4 relegated

Regular season - 2 leagues of 12.

Premiership - top 7 plus top team in championship qualify for A division. Regular season champs guaranteed at least Europa league spot and exemption from Euro play offs

Championship - top team go into A league. Teams 2 - 4 joined by 5 bottom Premiership teams. Teams 5 to 12 in C league.

Post season 3 leagues of 8

A division - Top team gets champions league slot. Teams 2 to 5 go into Euro play offs.

B division - Top 4 go up to premiership next season

C division - Bottom 2 automatic relegation 3rd bottom in play off with league one teams.

Spare Euro slots - If there is spare Euro slots from regular season champs getting in champ league or from cup then these would go to highest ranked teams in regular season that have not already qualified for Europe. The Scottish cup final though would need to be played before the play offs should as a result of that a team 2 -5 win the cup they would be exempt from play offs and highest remaining team get a bye to the play off final. Same would apply if regular season winners did not win A division title as they already got a Euro spot. I would probably just have one off play off games with higher seeded team getting home advantage and gate revenue after cost pulled to be used towards prize money for league rankings. Any semi finals if needed to take place midweek after Scottish cup final and the play off final the next weekend (weekend of champ league final).

What makes you say that?

Gordon Smith was pushing it again in a poor quality Scottish publication recently, so maybe that's the source of this...

12-12 (8-8- 8) could work if done correctly, I think the points should be reset to 0 at the split.

22 games, then split

Top 8

14 games shootout for the title, 2nd gets a Europa league spot and 3rd-5th along with league cup winner get Europa league playoffs

Middle 8

Top 4 qualify for next year's prem

Bottom 8

Bottom 3 or 4 relegated

It could be interesting, but I think the middle 8 would have to have something to show for the first part of the season or you'd end up with a few games with not much riding on them before the split. So rather than re-setting points to zero for the middle 8, teams could get initial points - e.g.: 9th Prem. (7pts), 1st Champ. (6pts), 10th Prem. (5pts), 2nd Champ. (4pts), 11th Prem. (3pts), 3rd Champ. (2pts), 12th Prem. (1pt), 4th Champ. (0pts). Or something like that to encourage promotion/relegation.

They'd be as well inviting 3 LL and 3 HL clubs on board and introducing 12-12/8-8-8 for tiers 3 and 4 too. Then they could open up the bottom tier to more promotion and relegation to/from the regions without scaring League Two clubs too much, and give our national part-timers a bit more scope for moving up a division with 4 possible promotion places to League One each season...

They'd be as well inviting 3 LL and 3 HL clubs on board and introducing 12-12/8-8-8 for tiers 3 and 4 too. Then they could open up the bottom tier to more promotion and relegation to/from the regions without scaring League Two clubs too much, and give our national part-timers a bit more scope for moving up a division with 4 possible promotion places to League One each season...

I suspect that our 4 tier system is a huge barrier to the pyramid system. An 8/8/8 bottom two tiers might help a little but I don't it would be enough.

I think the only thing that will work, if we really want a proper pyramid system, is a system with 2 top divisions followed by a national division at the head of the pyramid of access to those top divisions. That's the very least needed to entice the vast majority of clubs that play in regional leagues to actually want to be a full part of a national setup.

I just want to say to Hibbee Jibbee before he points it out that I know it'll never happen in conservative Scottish football but I'm going to say it anyway, so there....

Apertura/Clausura or Winter League/Spring League, whatever you want to call it, that's the way to do it! It would completely change the dynamic of Scottish professional football if it was done right and I bet you it would improve attendances more than any other system being suggested here.

HJ, the floor is yours...

Archived