Re-think the playoffs

Who should get into the playoffs?  

77 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nothing to do with the club which won the Premiership version then. Not that i was too thrilled myself, but the fact is those Accies players deserve to play in the top division a million times more than those fucking non triers in green shirts, and bollocks to 'how big' the club is. There is more, much more to football than how dreary the top division is....of course, your club hasn't benefitted from piss poor rival clubs over the last four years. Oh, wait.......and lest we forget 2003. Robbing Falkirk of their rightful place, then trying to prove our application to take Broadwood up.to 10,000 seats was submitted too late in case they blew it. Gutting as our penalties defeat to East Bloody Fife was, it made for a cracking last few weeks of the season. 'Shameful' seems a bit extreme.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hibs aren't in the Premier League next season because they're not good enough, not because the league set-up stitched anyone up.

Hot potato has to be the best thing I've ever heard. In my opinion we should stop trying to compete with the English leagues and accept our mediocrity. Adding in something that's seriously fucked up sounds like a good way to do it. Think about the coming up to the split? Obviously after the split it can only land in one of 6 teams. IMAGINE it was in the top.

The playoff spots in the divisions are sometimes very unfair to the club that came second to the club that came fourth with the points differential and sometimes the points difference can be in the 20's plus between 2nd & 4th.

Personally a playoff spot should only be given in the event the club in 3rd or 4th has managed to acquire a points tally that is within say 3 or 5 points behind that of 2nd place, to me it feels like giving 3rd or 4th place who is behind 2nd place by a huge margin a free gift they haven't worked hard all season for and can be construed as awarding for failure.

Playoff positions below 2nd place to me should be awarded in the event the clubs chasing 2nd place came within a couple of games worth of points because they managed to maintain a challenge to 2nd place until the last couple of games left in a season.

Playoff spots shouldn't just be awarded, they should be earned by right to maintain the competitive edge for the chasing clubs and should be their reward for winning games.

I also agree that the playoff games should be a one of fixture and not a home & away tie, the club above in the leagues gets the home advantage and is the reward for finishing a position above the contender.

I like the idea of half way through the season, splitting the league in two with the bottom half of the league joining the top half of the Chanpionship to start a new mini league with the top 6 winners getting promotion.

That would require 44 matches, no?

Basically it's just an inflated version of the fairly unpopular 12-12 > 8-8-8 plan which was being floated before Gilmour and McGregor shot it down.

Yours is a 12-12 > 6-12-6, I presume. Would you make the Top 6 and Bottom 6 play x4 in the split for 42 games, so x6 in total over the season?

If Turnbull Hutton ever uttered one sensible comment, it was his 'there must be a lot of dozy bastirts in the North' following MacGregor's whingeing 'its difficult for fans to understand' response to the 12-12 /8-8-8 format. I believe it would have been worth the gamble.....a short turnover period within the season, almost certainly generating (and sustaining) good gates and overall coverage of the game. Who would have made the middle-eight last season...after 22 PL games.......Pissle, St. Mirren Hearts and maybe Killie joined by Dundee Accies Falkirk and either Raith or QofS??? Thats a very attractive sub-division, or 'closing' season if you like.

Sorry - it was an utterly bonkers idea.

As I pointed-out a few months ago, the 'split' into 3 seperate groups would have descended into something of a shambles what with a few games being off in the run-up to January. And that was in a mild winter.

Some of those games would have become the infamous "literally meaningless" or "literally half-meaningless" games... whereby clubs in the Middle 8 would have had to fulfil the reschedule fixture, even though they could happily lose it 100-0 without it making any difference to them.

There's also the simple mechanics of the scheme. What would clubs in the Bottom 8 well clear of Morton, Cowdenbeath, and Alloa have been playing for? What were Dundee, Hamilton, Falkirk, and Hearts playing for once they'd qualified for the Middle 8? And would Hearts have been given a deduction #2?

Sorry - it was an utterly bonkers idea.

As I pointed-out a few months ago, the 'split' into 3 seperate groups would have descended into something of a shambles what with a few games being off in the run-up to January. And that was in a mild winter.

Some of those games would have become the infamous "literally meaningless" or "literally half-meaningless" games... whereby clubs in the Middle 8 would have had to fulfil the reschedule fixture, even though they could happily lose it 100-0 without it making any difference to them.

There's also the simple mechanics of the scheme. What would clubs in the Bottom 8 well clear of Morton, Cowdenbeath, and Alloa have been playing for? What were Dundee, Hamilton, Falkirk, and Hearts playing for once they'd qualified for the Middle 8? And would Hearts have been given a deduction #2?

Agreed. It utterly amazes me to this day that 10 clubs in the then SPL wanted this. Well it doesn't amaze me that Milne wanted it, he's a proven moron, the rest though...?

Thank goodness there was two wise men who stood against this bizarre tide of nonsense. In doing so they saved Scottish football.

If Turnbull Hutton ever uttered one sensible comment, it was his 'there must be a lot of dozy bastirts in the North' following MacGregor's whingeing 'its difficult for fans to understand' response to the 12-12 /8-8-8 format. I believe it would have been worth the gamble.....a short turnover period within the season, almost certainly generating (and sustaining) good gates and overall coverage of the game. Who would have made the middle-eight last season...after 22 PL games.......Pissle, St. Mirren Hearts and maybe Killie joined by Dundee Accies Falkirk and either Raith or QofS??? Thats a very attractive sub-division, or 'closing' season if you like.

A very attractive sub-division? To whom? Certainly not fans of St Mirren, Hearts or Kilmarnock.

The general football public, perhaps......weren't all the bottom six still embroiled in a relegation battle in the last two games of the season??? I dont see the difference between that and the alternative, except more fixtures for teams used to winning getting their chance against higher up clubs who are not. Or pehaps you'd rather return to the old style which wouldn't have affected you much this year???

The playoff spots in the divisions are sometimes very unfair to the club that came second to the club that came fourth with the points differential and sometimes the points difference can be in the 20's plus between 2nd & 4th.

Personally a playoff spot should only be given in the event the club in 3rd or 4th has managed to acquire a points tally that is within say 3 or 5 points behind that of 2nd place, to me it feels like giving 3rd or 4th place who is behind 2nd place by a huge margin a free gift they haven't worked hard all season for and can be construed as awarding for failure.

Playoff positions below 2nd place to me should be awarded in the event the clubs chasing 2nd place came within a couple of games worth of points because they managed to maintain a challenge to 2nd place until the last couple of games left in a season.

Playoff spots shouldn't just be awarded, they should be earned by right to maintain the competitive edge for the chasing clubs and should be their reward for winning games.

You either do playoffs by position or don't do them at all. Introducing any form of points differential begs the question of why not just use league placings...

Archived