Re-think the playoffs

Who should get into the playoffs?  

77 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

needs to be as follows (otherwise the team finishing second bottom having advantage - look at Championship vs Scottish Premier)

2nd bottom vs 4th place

3rd place vs 2nd place

anything other is advantage 2nd bottom.

Thats how its been for eight years down here. Just clocked the earlier statement, re 'current playoffsf seem to go on forever'. First, your team?? Why so bothered?? And,in the case of the Prem, we've only had one playoff fixture. Give the thing a fookin chance huh. I do agree however one leg finals are appealing.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm very much in favour of the two-legged final. From experience the atmosphere at a wee ground is much better than a half-empty Almondvale, plus two gates = a small financial reward for both clubs.

I'm very much in favour of the two-legged final. From experience the atmosphere at a wee ground is much better than a half-empty Almondvale, plus two gates = a small financial reward for both clubs.

This

Why is 9th place a "failure", but finishing 4th out of 10 is a success?

4th place is not a success but winning the playoffs is

9th place could win the play-offs too, so that would obviously be a success for them?

When Albion Rovers finished 9th in the Second Division and won the play-offs it was arguably the biggest success in the club's history.

Keep 1 up 1 down down but instead of play-offs add a "hot potato" element to the league like so:

The biggest losers on the first day of the season get an "R" next to their name, and keep it until they win a game. The team they beat then gets the "R", and so on for 36 weeks. Whoever has it on the last day of the season goes into a relegation play-off, no matter where they finish in the league.

It's like half league/half cup. Playing the team plagued with the "hot potato" would turn into the most exciting game of the season!

At the end of the season:

1st- promoted.

2nd- promotion play-off.

"R"- relegation play-off

10th (12th in Prem)-relegated

(If 1st, 2nd or 10th/12th have the R at the end of the season the other 7 teams draw straws for it. :rolleyes:)

Strangely this isnt the first time ive heard this suggestion. I quite like its quirkiness, in the same way i always thought myself that scoring more than 3/4 goals in a game could be rewarded with bonus points, which would also act as a tiebreaker in the necessity of another. One alternative would be that if the R team is already in a clarified position, the last team to have it who arent, face the playoff. Drawing straws would eliminate the point of having it affect the end of the season.....

i think the 2 down two up with 3rd bottom and 3 top play off is the best option given ,however i still think the leagues should have 16 teams in them playing each other once at home/away and add two legs to the cups with the away goals rule except in the finals might bring some sparkle back to the cups ,lets face it if you finish in the bottom two of a 16 team league then your pish and deserve to be relegated ,plus it will allow the bounce up and down clubs to consolidate inside the SPL which can only be good for Scottish football as there would be more places for players to be involved in top flight football

Keep 1 up 1 down down but instead of play-offs add a "hot potato" element to the league like so:

The biggest losers on the first day of the season get an "R" next to their name, and keep it until they win a game. The team they beat then gets the "R", and so on for 36 weeks. Whoever has it on the last day of the season goes into a relegation play-off, no matter where they finish in the league.

It's like half league/half cup. Playing the team plagued with the "hot potato" would turn into the most exciting game of the season!

This is an insane, yet fucking genius, idea.

1st- promoted.

2nd- promotion play-off.

"R"- relegation play-off

(If 1st, 2nd or 10th/12th have the R at the end of the season the other 7 teams draw straws for it. :rolleyes:)

A completely mental, stupid and deranged idea. I fucking LOVE it. ;)

1st- promoted.

2nd- promotion play-off.

"R"- relegation play-off

If i could get this on FM i would love it , cant imagine there is a way to program that unfortunately though

Even though Clyde benefited from it once, I've never been keen on allowing the team second-bottom another crack at survival.

I would give the team which finishes second a bye to the two-legged Final. Third plays against fourth over one leg with the third placed team at home. That way, each place is rewarded. First gets automatic promotion, second gets the reward of a bye to the Final, third gets home advantage in the Semi-Final. Would keep the season interesting up till the end.

1st- promoted.

2nd- promotion play-off.

"R"- relegation play-off

(If 1st, 2nd or 10th/12th have the R at the end of the season the other 7 teams draw straws for it.

You are a genius

1st- promoted.

2nd- promotion play-off.

"R"- relegation play-off

Completely Win. Get this man in charge of Scottish Fitba'.

That little "R" could create so. much. seeeeethe.

Petition needed.

Brilliant though it is, I think it could be improved still further. Maybe have one hot potato and one crispy bucket? The biggest winners on day one of the season get the crispy bucket. They then defend the crispy bucket each game with the winning team getting it. At the end of the season, the hot potato team go into the relegation playoffs, the crispy bucket team go into the promotion play-offs.

Just imagine the SCENES!!! if the hot potato team beat the crispy bucket holders on the last day of the season!

Oh, and if the Crispy Bucket winners have already been promoted/relegated or qualified for the play-offs, the remaining teams have a mascot race to decide on who gains Crispy Bucket glory. This is the way forward to negotiate a better television deal for Scottish football I feel.

Archived