Re-think the playoffs

Who should get into the playoffs?  

77 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have been thinking about the play-offs recently and I am not sure about a team that finished second bottom in their league getting the opportunity to save themselves from relegation at the expense of a team who finished 2nd in the league below.

This may sound like I am advocating the scrapping of the play-offs and the re-instating of the previous fixed "two up, two down" model but I do believe that play-offs do potentially have their place.

How about re-instating two automatic promotion/relegation places AND introducing a play-off between the 3rd bottom and 3rd top teams for the remaining place?

I may well have had too much caffeine at this hour and be ever so slightly spouting pish.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really could not see that working, there has been no thought in that, this could completely reconstruct such small leagues in a season an on two season it is very unlikely but a division could end up with 10 New teams from the two years previous

I dont see the issue with Wilko's point in 3 up/down successively making anything worse. I quite lke the sound of 2 automatic promotion spots and a direct one off playoff at a neutral venue between 3rd top and bottom. I'd go so far as tosay the current format craves stale and uninspiring games for say 2nd and 3rd place teams in divisiins where the leaders run away with it. Defo worth a shot

How about re-instating two automatic promotion/relegation places AND introducing a play-off between the 3rd bottom and 3rd top teams for the remaining place?

Three teams potentially winning promotion from a ten team league seems like quite a lot. The fairest way to do it would be the top two teams winning promotion and the bottom two teams from the league above being automatically relegated.

Not very exciting and not as lucrative as having a play-off but the teams who earn the most points over the 36 games deserve to be rewarded more than those who finish 3rd or 4th in a ten team league.

To be truthful, i'd only ever opt for the 2up/down and 3rd top/bottom playoff as an alternative to the current format. On one hand, it presents a clearer and easier route back up for a relegated club. On the other, it also does continue with a tedious, crowd-unfriendly and entertainment-resistant setup with small leagues which largely encourage nothing but self preservation. At least en-masse promotion/relegation might provide a few teams a year with an instant hit of exposure, slightly improved gates, and for the winners, optimism and general goodfeeling that occurs when teams are on the up. The 3x14 propsal would have been ideal, but was always a nonstarter over the debate regarding RIFC. Strangely, if the same format was to be suggested next year, and accepted in time for 2015/16 season, no one would have a problem with, for example Clyde or Stirling Albion winning the League Two and jumping into the First Division or whatever they would call it. Then, i'd imagine 2 auto up and down places wont make the leagues particularly the middle one look so scant.

The team second bottom should not have the oppertunity to save themselves, keep the rest the same , 2nd place = bypass to final

example

3rd vs 4th

4th vs 3rd

2nd vs Winner of semi

Winner of semi vs 2nd

The team second bottom should not have the oppertunity to save themselves, keep the rest the same , 2nd place = bypass to final

example

3rd vs 4th

4th vs 3rd

2nd vs Winner of semi

Winner of semi vs 2nd

I like the above, I do agree that 2nd bottom = automatic relegation

I have been thinking about the play-offs recently and I am not sure about a team that finished second bottom in their league getting the opportunity to save themselves from relegation at the expense of a team who finished 2nd in the league below.

This may sound like I am advocating the scrapping of the play-offs and the re-instating of the previous fixed "two up, two down" model but I do believe that play-offs do potentially have their place.

I may well have had too much caffeine at this hour and be ever so slightly spouting pish.

I like your ideas chief - keep on the caffeine!

2up/2down & 3rd bottom/3rd top playing off would reward success, be exciting, and suits smaller leagues. You wouldn't be playing teams 6 times a season (unlike present play-off requirements), you wouldn't be rewarding the mediocrity of finishing 4th out of 10, and the rewards for success taper nicely: 1st - Champions & a trophy plus direct promotion, 2nd - direct promotion, 3rd - chance at promotion.

The current play-off system, with an added automatic promotion place, is better suited to keeping bigger leagues interesting for longer, and to reward the (relative) success of finishing 4th & 5th out of 14, 16, 18 or whatever larger size of league it is.

P.S. - If the 'all-through' financial model had any worth, the Premiership teams wouldn't be so afraid of opening up more promotion and relegation...

• 1 month later...

Would the Play off finals be better as a one off match?

Could they all be played on the same day Hampden? Like Rugby Leagues Super weekend.

3 matches - No extra time - penalties after 90 minutes.

KO's 12.30 3.00 5.15

Could be a great way to end the season the present play off system seems to go on forever.

Would give the lower leagues a major Hampden day out.

The biggest flaw is the small support most of these clubs have but there seems to be a fair bit of excitement generated this season with the play off a Final day at Hampden would be the next step.

Could you handle 3 Scottish matches in a day?

Would the Play off finals be better as a one off match?

Could they all be played on the same day Hampden? Like Rugby Leagues Super weekend.

3 matches - No extra time - penalties after 90 minutes.

KO's 12.30 3.00 5.15

Could be a great way to end the season the present play off system seems to go on forever.

Would give the lower leagues a major Hampden day out.

The biggest flaw is the small support most of these clubs have but there seems to be a fair bit of excitement generated this season with the play off a Final day at Hampden would be the next step.

Could you handle 3 Scottish matches in a day?

Good Lord...

This season's play offs are sorted thinking more for next season. The English play offs work great with one game final.

I Scotland should try to do something similar. However we cannot match their crowds so an all day Hampden event - three final with six sets of supporters would be interesting!

Most of the time your 2 lower level play-offs are going to involve small clubs - I'm not sure that you need to make 2 of them traipse down to Hampden for a 10am or 11am kickoff or whatever. You might justify a Hampden final for the Premiership-Championship playoff but then you're cutting the TV income too.

needs to be as follows (otherwise the team finishing second bottom having advantage - look at Championship vs Scottish Premier)

2nd bottom vs 4th place

3rd place vs 2nd place

anything other is advantage 2nd bottom.

Archived