@ yes supporters: How will you react if the result is no

Mr Bairn

Alternatively, perhaps they just prefer to be a part of the union.

This idea of people being "too scared" by independence strikes me as a convenient excuse for the Yes camp to wheel out if/when it is a no vote. It's almost as if nobody is allowed to have a different opinion.

I agree that there's a problem with No supporters just getting shouted down or insulted. I would actually like to hear people calmly explaining why they would prefer to be part of the 'union'. Maybe H_B could post something that wasn't just a response to someone else's post.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This idea of people being "too scared" by independence strikes me as a convenient excuse for the Yes camp to wheel out if/when it is a no vote. It's almost as if nobody is allowed to have a different opinion.

Are you leaning that way? If so would you be willing to expand on your reasoning why?

Are you leaning that way? If so would you be willing to expand on your reasoning why?

I am leaning that way and it's for utterly selfish reasons. I'm in a fairly comfortable position and have my career prospects well mapped-out. I don't see any benefit to putting that on the line with the uncertainty (and there is uncertainty before people starting screaming about negativity) that a "yes" vote would bring.

I think people forget how remarkable it is that we are having this referendum. It's the scarcely believable incompetence of all three mainstream UK parties in Scotland that allowed the SNP to win a majority at Holyrood, so I don't know if the circumstances can be easily recreated in the future. Nobody else wanted us to have this vote.

I am leaning that way and it's for utterly selfish reasons. I'm in a fairly comfortable position and have my career prospects well mapped-out. I don't see any benefit to putting that on the line with the uncertainty (and there is uncertainty before people starting screaming about negativity) that a "yes" vote would bring.

There is uncertainty in a No vote as well though. Just as there is potential in both.

I agree that there's a problem with No supporters just getting shouted down or insulted. I would actually like to hear people calmly explaining why they would prefer to be part of the 'union'. Maybe H_B could post something that wasn't just a response to someone else's post.

I have done on many many occasions on this website.

What about your children?

Despite what the polls say, I'm pretty optimistic of a yes vote.

The polls for me are a way to keep my optimism in check though.

If there is a no vote I'll be pretty disappointed but at the end of the day life's treating me OK just now so there's no reason to believe that will change too dramatically post no.

If your life is crummy just now I can imagine a yes vote being a big deal to hold onto (that's not to say all yes voters have a crummy life before you jump down my throat) but for these people life isn't going to change too dramatically post yes as divergent policies may take years to properly implement and possibly decades to see substantial results from. Cue word salad accusations.

You might do some day, also what about other family members or friends who don't have it all sorted like you do? Stuff them?

Well, no, because voting yes isn't a guarantee that all things will come up rosy with 100% employment on £30k+ a year, just like voting no isn't a guarantee of 100% unemployment and people drinking their own piss to stay alive.

(Those things could equally be turned around, as could your post - who's to say that a "yes" vote isn't the equivalent of "stuff em"?)

Well, no, because voting yes isn't a guarantee that all things will come up rosy with 100% employment on £30k+ a year, just like voting no isn't a guarantee of 100% unemployment and people drinking their own piss to stay alive.

(Those things could equally be turned around, as could your post - who's to say that a "yes" vote isn't the equivalent of "stuff em"?)

Scotland would be one of the richest nations in Europe, so I highly doubt it. Carry on anyway.

Scotland would be one of the richest nations in Europe, so I highly doubt it. Carry on anyway.

"Would"? That's a very bold claim to make. Can you provide evidence to support it?

One thing I would like to see in the event of a No vote is a moratorium on Scottish Labour voters, activists and politicians moaning the next time the Tories with a general election, given that by rejecting independence they are rejecting the notion that their own votes should mean anything and are instead giving over that power exclusively to the English electorate to decide for them.

Archived