@ yes supporters: How will you react if the result is no

Mr Bairn

There is a lot of truth in that.

The majority of graduates in Scotland go to London or somewhere else in England.

That's a very expensive braindrain which leaves Scotland with a proportionately higher number of people like Lex etc.

Interesting point here. Like I mentioned the other day I'm a student and have been looking around for grad jobs and stuff. Now ideally I'd like to leave the UK altogether but that isn't looking like an option for immediately after graduation. So London is the next option in most cases. Of course, having lived in Scotland for 22-23 years before graduation many graduates would prefer to go elsewhere for a fresh start anyway. The main issue if applying this to the independence debate is that it's only going to get worse as some of the top graduate employers pull out of Scotland. At least now if they go to London, they're doing it within the same country. Emigrate to London? That sounds ridiculous.

It has nothing to do with it being the capital. It has everything to do with its location AND the fact that successful businesses rely on networking hubs - i.e. they all naturally want to be together in the same place - even if that means sharing the same street as your only competitors. It's why estate agents are usually all found together for example.

This may be desirable for business but it is hugely damaging for a country with limited space and resources to have so much business activity in just one fraction of it's land because it makes wealth distribution and balance within the country virtually impossible. A wise man spreads his bets as the saying goes.

It has everything to do with being the capital. It's why the main financial companies are attracted with their huge offices, which in turn draws sandwich shops and the need for a lot of housing. This creates a large population so shops, pubs and clubs are attracted. The large population means lots of MPs are needed to represent it so they can have a lot of sway in government which in effect creates a vicious loop.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're entitled to believe whatever you like. For example, I think you're a thick c*nt. Although, like a stopped clock once a day, you actually have one thing right. I think patriotism is absolutely ridiculous. I'm not particularly proud to be Scottish, it's not like I chose to be born here. Scotland has some good points and some bad ones. Unlike what many cybernats seem to think, I don't think that Scots are morally superior to those in rUK. As George Bernard Shaw said, 'patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all others because you were born in it'.

Word salad and insults. Yep, pretty much par for the course from Joozy. Are all Falkirk fans this bad?

When cameron et al wins his referendum to pull the UK out of europe in 2017, there will be another indy ref in Scotland within 3 yrs with a guaranteed yes vote. With regards to the immediate future i will personally challenge every no voter who sings flower of scotland, think 3rd verse, in hampden or murrayfield

You ran away the last time you peddled this rubbish and were called on it.

Cameron 'winning' a referendum on Europe would mean the UK staying in, guven that is his preference and what he will be campaignibg for.

I'll be submitting my application for Australian citizenship pretty certain in the fact that I will never come back to live in Scotland.

I would not want to live in a country that has shown no balls and even less brains.

Scotland will be neutered and humiliated for at least a generation.

Ill contribute to the moving fund if you promise never to come back.

I'm sick of it all already.

I fully expect a No vote and if/when it comes it will not be the most enjoyable of weekends but life goes on. Certainly mine will. I have a cushy, well paid job, a house, a car, a young family, lots of friends and I support a fitba Club on the way up :)

So I'll probably get over it very quicky tbh.

However, what will change with me personally is that I certainly don't think I will regard Scotland as a 'nation' or a 'country' anymore. I will think of Scotland as a district or a region. I know some might find that strange but that's just how I will see things from September onwards.

Just a personal thing.

It's probably how some Unionists see Scotland now.

The population of the country will fall to about 3 million either way

Great! That'll free up lots of housing and keep the prices down. The commute to work will be a lot quicker too. Happy days. Where are these 2 million off to?

The population of the country will fall to about 3 million either way

A No vote is beginning to look really positive.

We're getting rid of a slew of utter c***s, freeing up room for immigrants, who are almost certainly going to be an improvement on those we are getting rid of.

Happy Days to be honest.

Great! That'll free up lots of housing and keep the prices down. The commute to work will be a lot quicker too. Happy days. Where are these 2 million off to?

Well most the Rangers fans and other unionists i know will hang on to the union and go to England, if we get a no vote it looks like we will flee to Australia/Canada/America :thumsup2

A No vote is beginning to look really positive.

We're getting rid of a slew of utter c***s, freeing up room for immigrants, who are almost certainly going to be an improvement on those we are getting rid of.

Happy Days to be honest.

Tory

Well most the Rangers fans and other unionists i know will hang on to the union and go to England, if we get a no vote it looks like we will flee to Australia/Canada/America :thumsup2

They are off to wales mate

In the event of a no vote I'll probably go through a stage of total depression that the people that live in my country are so downtrodden that they feel they can't run their own country. I'll find it very hard to even support Scotland in sport anymore as we will no longer be a real country, just north britain. We live in a democracy so I will just have to live with the vote.

If the result is "no", I'll be incredibly saddened that our nation was too frightened to believe that we could stand on our own two feet and have rejected the opportunity to create a fairer and more caring society.

I was too young to vote in the 79 referendum, but I recall the bitterness that followed.

Archived