@ yes supporters: How will you react if the result is no

Mr Bairn

I'll be gutted and extremely disappointed at an opportunity missed.

I'll continue to work and campaign towards a better scotland with the message being that that is best achieved through independence.

This once in a lifetime/ generation thing is guff from both sides. Winnie Ewing had it right when she said that after devolution independence was inevitable. The cat was let out with the bag with devolution where people can see that in the areasin which we already have independence they prefer the approaches taken in Scotland to the approaches taken in Westminster.

This referendum may not be won by Yes but too much has been said and too many people previously unengaged have begun to question and explore what the union and what independence means for Scotland.

I'll certainly be (even) poor (er) company for a few weeks though.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Emm, a lot more than the 63 million in the UK.

There aren't anything like 63 million voters in the UK. Try again.

But are you saying that being 1 voice in 3 million is any different from being 1 voice in 40 million?

It really depends on the scale of the defeat. I just hope Westminster imposes hardship on us so the No voters realize how stupid they were to stick with the status quo.

Is this any less ridiculous than no voters saying they hope iScotland sees Greek style riots after independence?

Then you should vote yes because that will allow more Tory MSP's via the list system in Scotland than you get through the Westminster process.

That results in a fairer representation of that patry's vote total across Scotland.

Oh and BTW if you mean that currently you get a UK Tory government based on just a single MP being elected in Scotland then I'd ask if you truly support democracy at all. Presumably you at least understand the problem as explained by Yes voters even if you don't support it?

I disagree with this argument.

If you're a Conservative voter then you should vote no. You may get a greater representation within Scotland, but they would never form the government.

Although I think there's scope for a centre-right party to supercede the Tories after independence that could do very, very well.

No it isn't, it's a ludicrous thing to say.

I think it will happen though but to HOPE for it?

f**k that.

Yeah I agree with you, both are equally stupid.

I hope that regardless of the result we can move forward for the greater good.

You are not taking into consideration the list process in Scotland which moves the odds much further into the favour of the Scottish system.

to what?

Shake my head, have a wee moan and then go to work.

If it is to be a no, as the polls indicate, then I hope it's close enough that the process towards Independence can continue and we'll see another vote in 10-15 yrs.

I'd be upset, I'll be honest. Upset at a massive missed opportunity and at the lack of baws displayed by my fellow Scots.

Same. Country full of scaredy cat bawbags if we vote No. Supposed to be a patriotic country too..

to quote Maurice Blythman

"An assembly" they shout,

Then they throw the thing out

And get back to the business of girning..

and after girning I shall be looking for the best bins to rake in once the Tories have finished their cutting of wages, pensions and conditions.

Same. Country full of scaredy cat bawbags if we vote No. Supposed to be a patriotic country too..

You can be patriotic and still vote No. Nothing wrong with loving Scotland, but loving it as part of the union. Alternatively there's nothing wrong with wanting Scotland to be independent but being pragmatic if it's going to affect your own status.

It really depends on the scale of the defeat. I just hope Westminster imposes hardship on us so the No voters realize how stupid they were to stick with the status quo.

You hope that Westminster screws Scotland over in the event of a No vote. Stunning. Absolutely stunning.

As for me? If there is a No vote, I won't be especially disappointed, but will actively campaign and push for comprehensive fiscal devolution to give Scotland more control over its domestic affairs. If no meaningful progress is made within a decade or so, I will support another referendum on independence.

It depends whether you believe in most - democracy or getting what you personally want?

It can't be both. If I voted for Tory I'd be extrenely uncomfortable about them ruling my country with a single MP because democracy is the loser there.

Democratic deficits occur everywhere though. Texas would never vote for the Democrats, yet they still have Obama imposed on them.

Closer to home, the SNP were not democratically elected to rule the people of Eastwood, but as a whole it was decided to re-elect them.

You hope that Westminster screws Scotland over in the event of a No vote. Stunning. Absolutely stunning.

It's completely bizarre imo. Suppose that every political movement has it's extremists(eg Rule Brittania in our case)

Archived