Friendly Banter?

So no-one in the club is allowed to voice any opinions other than the club line?

I'm not sure that's the direction the club should be moving in, unless a relocation to Pyongyang is also on the cards. Maybe that where the new ground is going to be?

Well I don't see Mike Ashley on a forum moaning because his team got booed off at half time a few weeks ago.

I know its on a completely different scale but when your involved with the club like this I do not think it is a wise thing to do as it does just open up a can of worms as melted cheese says personally if I was involved in the club like that I wouldn't be getting myself into debates on forums as to me it seems very unprofessional.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I don't see Mike Ashley on a forum moaning because his team got booed off at half time a few weeks ago.

Yeah, because they are comparable. Good comeback.

I know its on a completely different scale but when your involved with the club like this I do not think it is a wise thing to do as it does just open up a can of worms as melted cheese says personally if I was involved in the club like that I wouldn't be getting myself into debates on forums as to me it seems very unprofessional.

If you give up hundreds of hours of your time for free every year, and in a lot of cases give your own personal money, so that some people, many of whom contribute very little financially or time wise, can shout abuse, then I think you are entitled to view a personal opinion once in a while.

It's a bit of a pisser if you give up your time and money and aren't allowed to voice any of the opinions that those who don't do the same as you are only too happy to do.

Again, just my opinion but it seems unfair to me that the more you put in, the less you are allowed to do.

If you give up hundreds of hours of your time for free every year, and in a lot of cases give your own personal money, so that some people, many of whom contribute very little financially or time wise, can shout abuse, then I think you are entitled to view a personal opinion once in a while.

It's a bit of a pisser if you give up your time and money and aren't allowed to voice any of the opinions that those who don't do the same as you are only too happy to do.

Again, just my opinion but it seems unfair to me that the more you put in, the less you are allowed to do.

If you read on you would notice I said they weren't really comparable.

Fair enough if that's your opinion I just think that if your in a position of power you cant go around doings things like that as a lot of people will see it as being unprofessional and I'm sure there's plenty of time to voice your opinion in a boardroom if your not happy with something as I say to me it comes across as being very unprofessional.

If you read on you would notice I said they weren't really comparable.

Why mention it then?

Fair enough if that's your opinion I just think that if your in a position of power you cant go around doings things like that as a lot of people will see it as being unprofessional and I'm sure there's plenty of time to voice your opinion in a boardroom if your not happy with something as I say to me it comes across as being very unprofessional.

I think most people who give up their time for a club / organisation / group find that it's an unwinnable situation, you're damned if you do, damned if you don't.

If the people in power gave up tomorrow, would the club be better or worse in a year's time? If the answer is worse, then I think they are entitled to a little slack once in a while.

On a completely unrelated note, the only person who has not voiced an opinion (as far as I am aware) on this matter is Scott Dalziel.

What does he think about fake twitter accounts in his name, and alleged (note alleged) booing of his substitution? Does that not have some bearing on this whole topic?

In my opinion if you are given a position of that stature to represent poeple in a football club, you then give up the right to put personal opinions on forums. Unfortunately John will be judged rightly or wrongly on the comments he has made public. These comments may influence future situations within the club, as people may be offended. You cant openly critise your own supporters then expect them to back you every week. If he had concerns they should be raised privately then aired through the club website. I understand Johns frustrations but there is a time and place to air them.

In my opinion if you are given a position of that stature to represent poeple in a football club, you then give up the right to put personal opinions on forums. Unfortunately John will be judged rightly or wrongly on the comments he has made public. These comments may influence future situations within the club, as people may be offended. You cant openly critise your own supporters then expect them to back you every week. If he had concerns they should be raised privately then aired through the club website. I understand Johns frustrations but there is a time and place to air them.

Maybe you could highlight all the criticism that you see from the original post that was made as it may help the rest of us to achieve your view of the world?

On a completely unrelated note, the only person who has not voiced an opinion (as far as I am aware) on this matter is Scott Dalziel.

What does he think about fake twitter accounts in his name, and alleged (note alleged) booing of his substitution? Does that not have some bearing on this whole topic?

He appreciated that some people found it funny but didn't want it. Question answered.

Are relationships between directors and fans actually fragile?

There seems to be an over sensitivity to opinions and behaviours all over the shop IMO. The worst I've heard this season came from a players family member at Shire towards their announcer. Nearly everything else seems like mountains out of molehills.

Everyone should be entitled to their own opinion. It's only a few years since there were fights in the Ducket with Clydebank fans, people were rolling about at Cowden and Ayr fans were shitting on the floor in the Black and Gold, now all we have to get upset about is a couple of cheers when a player got subbed off, a fake twitter account and farming 'banter'. Jesus Christ man!

Hopefully we all have some good questions about the actual football tomorrow for CC! ;)

Exactly bri

I don't have an issue with point raised. Even though no one seems to have the foggiest about the so called abuse. My only issue was it being tagged On to the racism at peterhead. The point was entirely valid without diluting the point.

On general note, Berwick supporters can - not always - be a negative bunch and certain players can be singled out, I remember Alex Burke, (Scottish Cup winner) getting pelters for being lazy then he left us to play premier league football with Ross County. Abuse affects different players in different ways, they are only human.

As for John giving his opinion, that's fair enough, this is a public forum and he can make any point he wishes, At least he puts his name on here, unlike some of his critics.

On general note, Berwick supporters can - not always - be a negative bunch and certain players can be singled out, I remember Alex Burke, (Scottish Cup winner) getting pelters for being lazy then he left us to play premier league football with Ross County. Abuse affects different players in different ways, they are only human.

As for John giving his opinion, that's fair enough, this is a public forum and he can make any point he wishes, At least he puts his name on here, unlike some of his critics.

Probably the most sensible comment on this thread. You wouldnt think we all want the same thing by reading some of these posts. We are all followers of Berwick Rangers Football Club through good and bad times. Let's not lose the plot. I admire people who come on here especially if they are open about who they are and voice an opinion. This isn't the SFA boardroom is a forum for fans and anyone with an interest in football to voice opinions.

Keep it real and keep it fair folks.

I agree eyemouthboy but I look up to a director as being someone who is respected. I personaly dont think he should be on here compairing a player being heckled to player being racialy abused.

Define the difference between "heckle" and "abuse"? Where does "your f*cking shite" sit in your defintions?

As I commented previously some people feel justified in shouting things at a football game that they wouldn't do in the street and certainly not face to face with the player they are targeting. Why should there be a difference?

It would also be good if the clubs that talk the talk in terms of saying that bad language and so on is unacceptable and will result in action actually got their stewards to do something about it otherwise what's the point of stating it and what's the point of the stewards being there.

I think you should take your point forward to the club. If a player has been abused then let the club sort it out. I am not argueing the point about abuse, let the club deal with it not a director on a forum. Has the player himself lodged a complaint? I did not see anything at Annan as did many fans. I hope these issues are raised at the next board meeting and the club look into it.

I agree eyemouthboy but I look up to a director as being someone who is respected.

In 40 years of following football I never thought I'd hear someone say that. I would say in general fans grudgingly tolerate directors. Lets face it most of them are there out of a mixture of support for the club and self aggrandisement in the local community. There are plenty who like to wear the tie and blazer to the game but beyond that contribute little. There are plenty more people who give far more to their club for no return or kudos, and at Berwick we have one such example recently recognised.

Don't respond with a list of wonderful locals who have given their life to your club for little return, as many have run their clubs into the ground.

As for coming on here with this debate it can be seen as way of engaging with fans something which is sadly lacking at many clubs. Like it or not social networking and forums are with us, official facebook, twitter etc tend to be heavily censored and highly sanitised PR exercises so there is something to be said for using these types of forums. There would have been more complaints if JB had created an alias and been found out (sounds familiar). He is also an individual with opinions and you don't have to park these at the door when you enter the boardroom, as long as it is clear and transparent I don't have a problem with it. Frankly it makes for more interesting debate than who's going to be in the middle and what do you think the score will be.

You always run the risk of the debate deteriorating given the open nature of PnB and the number of dicks on it. However, I do think it was an error of judgement to compare the Tapping incident with some of the more 'normal' abuse at football; I also think it was an error to focus on a specific incident and a specific player as a lot of us were completely unaware of the fake twitter account and some of the other stuff - I'm on twitter but to be honest life is too short to follow BRFC players, I suspect their opinions will be of little interest to me and their nights out even less.

Hi Stewie, it is all about opinions. I will rephrase, directors should be looked apon as people who are respected. Directors/players should not get into situations like this were the open themselves up to harming the clubs/his own reputation. In every boardroom you have good and bad, how will his fellow directors react to this once it gets out? Did the player want this made public? I just feel sensitive issues should be dealt with professionaly through the club channels. What would John say if his players came on here to debate club issues?

Archived