Eurovision

Sooky

That is the worst thing I have ever heard. What a fucking mess. Lyrically inspid, disjointed musically ...wow. it is my lovely horse bad. She could have got dressed up and brushed her hair too.

Having said that I don't give a f**k it's all about the show.it's the one can't miss tv event of the year.

Haw......wait a cottonpickin' minute, you. :huh: "My Lovely Horse" is one of the greatest songs ever written by priests, IMHO. As far as equine paeans go, it is up there with "Champion The Wonder Horse" or "My Little Pony".

So there.

Ya basturt.

[yt]

[/yt] Edited by Florentine_Pogen

After having a look at the videos and gathering my own opinion on potential winners etc, I've came up with 3 that I will personally be looking at backing. These probably won't win, but I reckon one of them can place with an E/W bet.

Finland - 100/1. Not the best song about, but it's a decent song and I reckon it'll manage to get a decent amount of votes and hopefully finish high up.

Romania - 33/1. This is a very Eurovision type song if I'm honest, they had a Better song last year but with the addition of the judges and so on I feel that Romania can finish quite highly.

Belarus - 300/1. Of course at that price it isn't expected to finish very highly, but I had a listen to it and it's a very random song about cheesecakes.. It's a good feeling song and it'll have people remembering the chorus and I think it has a decent chance of coming in strong. I'm also tempted by the 11/1 price available to finish in the top 10 which seems alright.

What's everyone else having this year? I know Komp fancies Belgium and Malta and both of these are strong shouts and I'll be cheering them on with him.

Armenia being favourites is strange; it's a good song and easy to listen too.. But it's not 'eurovisiony' and I can't see it winning personally. Apparently the guy singing blows the roof of with any live concerts though, so I guess it's in with a decent shout.

All in all, it's quite a weak year compared to most so any of the decent shouts can be considered.

Acts that alternate between languages really annoy me. Israel's act have done it and the song is a complete word salad as a result. I have far more respect for acts that choose one or the other, preferably their own language as that's what gives Eurovision a large deal of its variety really.

My favourites so far have been France, Finland and maybe Greece. Romania too which is classic Eurovision cheese.

My favourite from the very few I have heard so far is this bad boy from Latvia about how to bake a cake! :lol:

I was convinced he was singing about making a space cake with all the lyrics about speaking to unicorns, moonwalking on the milkyway and finding Atlantis etc but by the end I wasn't sure :unsure:

SPOILER - CHEESIEST GUY YOU HAVE EVER SEEN

Edited by DavidMcG

Who's everyone fancying to win?

As an outsider I enjoy Malta's act! It's quite a 'meh' year if I'm honest.

Malta should likely qualify from SF2 but will be long out of the running by grand final night most likely. From the usual combination of bookies and fansites Armenia are favourites to win, with Sweden and Denmark on the coattails. I don't see the dull Swedish entry doing well (I figure it will fizzle out similar to 'La Voix' in 2009) but Denmark's Bruno Mars pish will go big in the room and will probably elevate to top five. My favourite this year is Norway, which should have a solid top ten placing. Ukraine will do well and has political sympathy in its favour.

For those who dabble in this sort of thing, backing the UK at 1.96 (Betfair) for top ten is a good shout, although odds are short as most Eurovision bets are. I'd advise taking a punt at Russia to not qualify from SF1 but at 1.6 it doesn't represent good value (I was able to lay Russia a couple of months ago at a shade under 2.0).

I'll most likely get a ribbing for this but I fly out to Copenhagen on Monday for Eurovision week. We're taking a Saltire with us so keep your eyes peeled if you're watching!

Edited by Menzel

Ukraine to gain the sympathy vote and skite it?

I don't rate the song though. Load of pish.

The version there that won the Ukrainian selection is poorer than the one going to Copenhagen, they've reworked the song and it's all the better for it. Should have a reasonable chance, actually. The staging of the song will feature a backing dancer on a giant hamster wheel. I'm not joking.

EDIT: Here's the rehearsal video of it, wheel and all.

Edited by Menzel

I'll most likely get a ribbing for this but I fly out to Copenhagen on Monday for Eurovision week. We're taking a Saltire with us so keep your eyes peeled if you're watching!

Not at all mate - very jealous! It's one of the things I would love to do in my lifetime. Are you going to the show itself?

Not at all mate - very jealous! It's one of the things I would love to do in my lifetime. Are you going to the show itself?

Aye, going to both semi finals and the final next Saturday, costing a fair whack but fair looking forward to it. I've been a fan of the contest since I was young but haven't been able to make the trip because of uni exams in May so this is my first contest, pretty buzzing for the whole thing.

Aye, going to both semi finals and the final next Saturday, costing a fair whack but fair looking forward to it. I've been a fan of the contest since I was young but haven't been able to make the trip because of uni exams in May so this is my first contest, pretty buzzing for the whole thing.

That's fantastic. Like David McG, I'm very jealous!

Would love to go to this one year.

The version there that won the Ukrainian selection is poorer than the one going to Copenhagen, they've reworked the song and it's all the better for it. Should have a reasonable chance, actually. The staging of the song will feature a backing dancer on a giant hamster wheel. I'm not joking.

EDIT: Here's the rehearsal video of it, wheel and all.

A bit better I suppose. I want that wheel :lol:

Was going to do a Top 5 but I may aswell keep it amongst the Eurovision enthusiasts.

Here are my top 5 Eurovision acts (although there's a lot I'm forgetting), with number 1 being my favourite and deserving of its own Youtube tribute:

5.) Blue, 'I Can' - UK 2011

4.) Sunstroke Project & Olia Tira, 'Run Away' - Moldova 2010

3.) Gina G, 'Ooh Aah... Just A Little Bit' - UK 1996

2.) Verka Serduchka, 'Dancing Lasha Tumbai' - Ukraine 2007

... And at number 1: Sakis Rouvas, 'This is Our Night' - Greece 2009 ( :wub: )

I am properly buzzing now that it's Eurovision week, the only dampener being that this year is already guaranteed to be down on last year:

Eurovision with Cascada > Eurovision without Cascada

But in all seriousness, I really enjoyed Sakis at the 2009 contest, though I'm a bigger fan of the studio version than the live performance.

My top five would be:

5. Brainstorm 'My Star' - Latvia 2000 (youtube.com/watch?v=N1y9xhmMSDk)

I was eleven and allowed to vote for this song, even though the bassist was wearing a Man United top on stage. Made up for it by Reynars' dancing and bizarre wardrobe outfit. Latvia to this day haven't come close to sending a song of this quality.

4. Telex 'Eurovision' - Belgium 1980 (youtube.com/watch?v=TMfw9k5O94w)

Telex apparently tried to attempt to come last with a song satirising the contest. Had a career outside of music circles by being a very good early electronic band. The stunned reaction of the crowd when being awared 10 points by Portugal is brilliant. As is throwing glitter out of his pockets.

3. Teach In 'Ding-A-Dong' - Netherlands 1975 (youtube.com/watch?v=REHS12tsj7c)

Awful outfits but very good disco song with a catchy chorus. Sung in English during the brief period between languages rules. One of only a handful of entries that has won the contest from singing in first spot. The Dutch haven't won since, posters that have seen the last ten or so years will understand why.

2. France Gall 'Poupee de cire, poupee de son' - Luxembourg 1965 (youtube.com/watch?v=s5aeeSmkPwQ)

Written by that creepy basturt Serge Gainsbourg and has been covered in recent years by Belle & Sebastian and the Arcade Fire. Eurovision aside it's a tremendous song. I wish Luxembourg would come back to the contest.

1. Paul Oscar 'Minn hinsti dans' - Iceland 1997

1997 was the first Eurovision I watched, and despite Iceland's song about a gay man on his deathbed saying he regrets nothing of his life ('My Final Danse') coming a lowly 20th, it's my favourite ever entry. One of the first songs of a 'dancier' nature, one of the first with an openly gay singer (a year before Dana International opened up the contest further for LGBT people) and bizarre but enthralling dance routine, it's both mad and amazing at the same time.

Obviously did this because I've been like a kid on Christmas eve before the flight. Anyone sad enough to delve into the weird parts of the internet can probably find updates of the trip on @3urovisionSam. I am aware I am a complete anorak so judge away.

Edited by Menzel

Really getting excited for this now. So glad I'm on early shifts so that I can enjoy the semi finals in their entirety. Missed them in the last couple of years due to being stuck on later shifts at work.

Kept away from most of the songs so the first chance I'll get to hear them. Bring it on. :D

We have just been drawn in the second half of the Grand Final, the producers will now pick our exact placing. Going by the betting odds, we also appear to be third favourites.

5 of the 6 automatic qualifiers have been drawn in the second half of the draw, poor Germany!

From a UK perspective, it increase the chances of the favourites being drawn in the first half. 12 first half spaces remaining, 8 second half.

Edited by Sooky