Eurovision

Sooky

5 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

Honestly Mae could have finished anywhere between about 10th and 26th.  The UK entry was such a generic pop song (of which there were many) that it was tough to tell them apart.  

Serbia was the worst of the night IMHO

She really isn’t a great singer, it turns out. The song, as far as it goes, was probably one of the better ones, but she was flat - other than the y, she was the weakest singing performance by a mile. 

After the experience of just the last couple of years,

(James Newman - nul points - sounded like he was taking a coronary during his performance. 

Sam Ryder - almost wins - stands in for Freddie Mercury at Wembley)

you'd think the UK would have learned the importance of selecting an artist who can actually sing!

Edited by Lurkst

Up all night with the cold sweats, thinking about how Norway had been robbed. Listened to all the songs again this morning while doing the dishes. All pish. Wish none of them had won. Once again, got stuck in a Eurovision bubble last night. Feeling timid and vulnerable this morning. Clearly the type of person who would join a cult. 

The 9 points UK got in the televote came courtesy of 5 from Ukraine and 4 from Malta. 

Finland received eighteen sets of 12 points from the public and Sweden…didn’t get a single 12 points from any country in the public vote. 

But Sweden did get given at least some points by the public in every single country…apart from…Finland! 

Having reflected. I really do think we still need juries. Some of the results when it was public vote only were horrific. Maybe just needs something to even it out a bit. 

Found this as well. Song 17 comfortably the most successful placing. Interesting especially as the earlier contests didn't have 17 songs 

Screenshot_20230514_114724_Twitter.jpg

Sam fender did a song before the results started coming in that really should have been the U.K. entry this year. Our song was pish.

Lithuania or Croatia were my favourites from last night.

5 hours ago, The Other Foot said:

Up all night with the cold sweats, thinking about how Norway had been robbed. Listened to all the songs again this morning while doing the dishes. All pish. Wish none of them had won. Once again, got stuck in a Eurovision bubble last night. Feeling timid and vulnerable this morning. Clearly the type of person who would join a cult. 

Norway had by far the catchiest song, it's the one I have in my head the day after, all the others have sort of melded together

I still don't know what the Jury saw in Sweden though, it was decent but it didn't jump out to me like Norway, Finland, and a couple of others did

Edited by senorsoupe

23 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

Norway had by far the catchiest song, it's the one I have in my head the day after, all the others have sort of melded together

I still don't know what the Jury saw in Sweden though, it was decent but it didn't jump out to me like Norway, Finland, and a couple of others did

Norway is the one I've been whistling all day but the juries hated it

1 hour ago, senorsoupe said:

I think it is fair to say votes may have been cast in order to set up ABBA at 50 next year.

On 12/05/2023 at 13:52, Adamski said:

Given that Finland were drawn in the first half that's about as good a running order as it was going to get.

They'll win the public vote, Sweden will win the jury vote, but Sweden will do considerably better in the public vote than Finland will in the juries.

I don't think Israel will catch the top two, but that's a decent place allocation for them and I could see them finishing third, although it's hard to guess how much of a sympathy vote Ukraine will get this time around (I don't think the song is up to much).

Croatia will have a night a bit like Moldova last year - hardly a sniff from the juries and a big public vote.

Overall prediction: 1. Sweden; 2. Finland; 3. Israel. And Albania to finish last.

👏

1 hour ago, Adamski said:

I usually have a bet on the Eurovision. After a few years of not winning anything I decided not to bother this time around…

Didn't read the thread through until yesterday. Apart from the Albania shout, the accuracy of your post stood out.

Though compared to 2021 last year's songs were pretty forgettable but year was much better again.