Eurovision

Sooky

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

This. The UK got Ukraine's 12 votes and Johnson's Churchill act probably impressed a few while Germany was dithering. Germany came bottom btw. If Ukraine won because of politics they weren't the only ones whose vote was affected by it.

TBF, do Germany not usually do shite? Having some of the most egregiously bad musical taste in Europe probably doesn't help.

Edit: aye, their best finish in the six of the past seven competitions has been 25th, finishing bottom three times  :lol:

For all the moaning about nobody voting for the UK, it's more that the rest of Europe thinks that the traditional political European powerhouses have been churning out bland, mediocre dugshite for a couple of decades. We're not the only ones punished for it.

Edited by BFTD

3 minutes ago, BFTD said:

TBF, do Germany not usually do shite? Having some of the most egregiously bad musical taste in Europe probably doesn't help.

Less of that, I was here.

P.S. You don't really get the sense of how fast the Olympic team were going, but it was pretty incredible.

3 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Germany did win not too long ago. Similarly to the successes of Austria, Israel and Portugal, there victory showed that you can win despite not having loads of votes from friendly neighbours.

It could obviously have been different in the early days, and since the jury vote was reapplied, but the "everyone just votes for their mates" thing never made much sense to me once they switched to a public vote. Surely nobody thinks that folk in Romania are sitting at home watching all of the songs before thinking, "well, I really liked the UK, France, and Germany's tunes, but I think I'll just vote for Moldova as they're only a few miles away".

Sorry @welshbairn, a country of almost a hundred million people producing a few good musicians doesn't excuse Germany being the place where dreadful music goes for a last payday!

Even Japan seem to have shed that image these days. Now they (and Korea) just use their homegrown pop music as a form of brutal psychological warfare to punish the rest of the world.

5 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Surely nobody thinks that folk in Romania are sitting at home watching all of the songs before thinking, "well, I really liked the UK, France, and Germany's tunes, but I think I'll just vote for Moldova as they're only a few miles away".

More likely a lot of Moldovans live in Romania or used Romanian phone networks to vote for their song.

Just now, BFTD said:

Sorry @welshbairn, a country of almost a hundred million people producing a few good musicians doesn't excuse Germany being the place where dreadful music goes for a last payday!

Even Japan seem to have shed that image these days. Now they (and Korea) just use their homegrown pop music as a form of brutal psychological warfare to punish the rest of the world.

Nowhere is as bad as the Netherlands for home grown music. But you have a point, if the Beatles hadn't got a gig in Hamburg maybe we'd have been spared "We all live on a yellow submarine."

1 minute ago, Lurkst said:

More likely a lot of Moldovans live in Romania or used Romanian phone networks to vote for their song.

That's a fucking grim thought too. I can't imagine spending money to vote for any of the UK's songs since Gina G.

Well, I can't imagine actually spending the money to vote for anybody's songs, TBF.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Nowhere is as bad as the Netherlands for home grown music. But you have a point, if the Beatles hadn't got a gig in Hamburg maybe we'd have been spared "We all live on a yellow submarine."

The Netherlands was where all that Nineties dance music originated from, was it not? Was that your point?  :lol:

I still maintain that the Beatles' best songs had Ringo on vocals, so I'll be shutting up now.

5 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

I'm sure that's most of it, like Ireland always getting a big vote from the UK.

I don’t think Romania gave its 12 points to Moldova. (Could be wrong).
However most of the votes they did get probably came from the Roma and other ethnic groups rather than Moldovans who are pretty few in number anyway.
There’s channels on the TV over there dedicated to traditional songs very similar to the Moldovan entry.
It’s a good listen for 5 mins or so but jeez does it get on your nerves after a while…..

45 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

There’s channels on the TV over there dedicated to traditional songs very similar to the Moldovan entry.
It’s a good listen for 5 mins or so but jeez does it get on your nerves after a while…..

Are these on virgin media or IPTV cause i'd happily listen to that.

5 hours ago, BFTD said:

Edit: aye, their best finish in the six of the past seven competitions has been 25th, finishing bottom three times  :lol:

For all the moaning about nobody voting for the UK, it's more that the rest of Europe thinks that the traditional political European powerhouses have been churning out bland, mediocre dugshite for a couple of decades. We're not the only ones punished for it.

Germany have won far more recently than UK though (2010)

5 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Poland wins the UK public vote every year (apart from this year) for this same reason. There's 5m Ukrainian refugees in other European countries which helps their voting too.

We were always there or thereabouts, one of the bigger contenders, won a few times. Then, we caused a bit of trouble in Europe, and folk went off us. Finally, our billy-big-bawz act caught up with us, and we fell to the depths - bottom of the pile, no hopers, years of being rank rotten. Then, like Bobby Ewing in the shower, and it was all just a bad dream - contenders again, amazingly, nearly go all the way, just losing to a European rival at the final hurdle.

We are The UK 2012 Sevco Song Contest FC.

Edited by pozbaird