Eurovision

Sooky

On 23/05/2021 at 00:41, Ludo*1 said:

The UK was absolutely shite. Terrible song, wasn't even terrible but catchy and a terrible voice. Yet people are making excuses for it.

Was it 0 point bad? Probably not, but can you say it was in anyone's top 10ish or deserving of any points? The answer is also definitely 100% no.

Was the guy singing it not a songwriter /record producer who said he ‘fancied a jaunt into singing’?

Bill Bailey interested in representing the UK next year, apparently.

Very much in favour. Always wanted to hear the full version of Ripped Apart By Badgers.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
16 hours ago, The Naitch said:

That's the UK entry announced. Had no idea who he is so had to look him up. Apparently he's popular on that there TikTok. Not feeling it so far...

My first thoughts were that Conchita had let themselves go a bit

Being from tiktok I would assume that it will be nil points from the judges who tend to go with the old school proper university degree music composers for the songs (ie their group of mates), but probably catchy enough to get a decent public vote dependent on the staging on the night

Edited by honestly united

• 1 month later...
That's the UK entry announced. Had no idea who he is so had to look him up. Apparently he's popular on that there TikTok. Not feeling it so far...

It’s Eurovision week lads!

Fair to say our entry has grown on me a bit over the last month or so. He’s been doing press all over Europe and comes across really well so hopefully that gets a few extra points.

4 hours ago, The Naitch said:

Fair to say our entry has grown on me a bit over the last month or so. He’s been doing press all over Europe and comes across really well so hopefully that gets a few extra points.

Not this week. 10th & 12th for the Semis and 14th for the final.

4 hours ago, The Naitch said:

11 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Not this week. 10th & 12th for the Semis and 14th for the final.

Completely fucked up my dates. You're right.

It should be two week thing anyway IMVHO.

22 hours ago, The Naitch said:

17 hours ago, The Naitch said:

Completely fucked up my dates. You're right.

It should be two week thing anyway IMVHO.

Had me excited.

This year's Eurovision kicks off this evening with the first semi final. I've always been a Eurovision fan, but I'm particularly clued up on it this year thanks to my Eurovision-daft eight year old.

Albania, Latvia, Lithuania, Switzerland, Slovenia, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Netherlands, Moldova, Portugal, Croatia, Denmark, Austria, Iceland, Greece, Norway, and Armenia make up tonight's semi final. 10/17 to qualify. The semi finals look a bit lopsided I think - this is definitely the tougher one.

Albania, Ukraine, Netherlands, Portugal, Greece, Norway, Armenia are all likely qualifiers (personally I find the Portugal and Greece songs quite meh, but still...) Also Norway's entry is 'the comedy one' this year. It's two guys is wolf costumes, and that's about as far as the comedy goes unless I'm missing something.

Latvia have a strong opening gambit in 'instead of meat I eat veggies and pussy', but the song (basically about being green) doesn't do much from there. I'd mark them down as unlikely to qualify alongside Switzerland, Slovenia, and Bulgaria.

That leaves Lithuania, Moldova, Croatia, Denmark, Austria, and Iceland to fight out the remaining three slots in the final - a real range of styles, you could probably make a case for any of them, and probably depends  a fair bit on the voting patterns of the countries who get to vote this evening.

Ukraine are odds-on to win the whole thing. They'll scoop up the phone vote due to sympathy over the Russian invasion, and the song is decent enough to make it into the top 10 of a lot of juries. Sweden, Spain and the UK are probably the next most likely if the impact of the war is overstated. In the first couple of days of Russia's invasion I posted on the thread about the war that Ukraine must be a good bet to win this. It was about 6/1 at the time - I wish I'd had a bet.

Armenia is my pick for an outsider to watch. It's sweet, folky, a bit Lumineers-esque. Probably hasn't made many waves among hardcore Eurovision fans, but will probably go down quite well with the casual viewers/voters who will tune in on the night. I'll get a decent payout from the bookies if it finishes in the top 4. Estonia might do a bit better than the odds suggest as well.

3 hours ago, Adamski said:

This year's Eurovision kicks off this evening with the first semi final. I've always been a Eurovision fan, but I'm particularly clued up on it this year thanks to my Eurovision-daft eight year old.

Albania, Latvia, Lithuania, Switzerland, Slovenia, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Netherlands, Moldova, Portugal, Croatia, Denmark, Austria, Iceland, Greece, Norway, and Armenia make up tonight's semi final. 10/17 to qualify. The semi finals look a bit lopsided I think - this is definitely the tougher one.

Albania, Ukraine, Netherlands, Portugal, Greece, Norway, Armenia are all likely qualifiers (personally I find the Portugal and Greece songs quite meh, but still...) Also Norway's entry is 'the comedy one' this year. It's two guys is wolf costumes, and that's about as far as the comedy goes unless I'm missing something.

Latvia have a strong opening gambit in 'instead of meat I eat veggies and pussy', but the song (basically about being green) doesn't do much from there. I'd mark them down as unlikely to qualify alongside Switzerland, Slovenia, and Bulgaria.

That leaves Lithuania, Moldova, Croatia, Denmark, Austria, and Iceland to fight out the remaining three slots in the final - a real range of styles, you could probably make a case for any of them, and probably depends  a fair bit on the voting patterns of the countries who get to vote this evening.

Ukraine are odds-on to win the whole thing. They'll scoop up the phone vote due to sympathy over the Russian invasion, and the song is decent enough to make it into the top 10 of a lot of juries. Sweden, Spain and the UK are probably the next most likely if the impact of the war is overstated. In the first couple of days of Russia's invasion I posted on the thread about the war that Ukraine must be a good bet to win this. It was about 6/1 at the time - I wish I'd had a bet.

Armenia is my pick for an outsider to watch. It's sweet, folky, a bit Lumineers-esque. Probably hasn't made many waves among hardcore Eurovision fans, but will probably go down quite well with the casual viewers/voters who will tune in on the night. I'll get a decent payout from the bookies if it finishes in the top 4. Estonia might do a bit better than the odds suggest as well.

As a huge Zdob Zi Zdub fan Moldova should be through tonight, and given they have finished top 10 (I think) in there other 2 outings they should be though - the video version of the song is better than the 3 minute version on the official album but should see them through.

Agree on Armenia this is probably my favourite song in tonights semi so hopefully they get through. 

Next through is Ukraine, I really like it, reminds me a bit of Go_A that represented Ukraine last year. Normally would finish mid table but obviously huge favs though

Other than that from listening to the album, Albania, Slovenia, Bulgaria (kenny logans esque), Netherlands, Croatia, Denmark, Austria, Iceland are all OK Eurovisions songs so will depend on the night who goes through.

I though Switzerland, Portugal and Greece were exceptionally dull so hopefully dont make it through

17 minutes ago, honestly united said:

As a huge Zdob Zi Zdub fan Moldova should be through tonight, and given they have finished top 10 (I think) in there other 2 outings they should be though - the video version of the song is better than the 3 minute version on the official album but should see them through.

Agree on Armenia this is probably my favourite song in tonights semi so hopefully they get through. 

Next through is Ukraine, I really like it, reminds me a bit of Go_A that represented Ukraine last year. Normally would finish mid table but obviously huge favs though

Other than that from listening to the album, Albania, Slovenia, Bulgaria (kenny logans esque), Netherlands, Croatia, Denmark, Austria, Iceland are all OK Eurovisions songs so will depend on the night who goes through.

I though Switzerland, Portugal and Greece were exceptionally dull so hopefully dont make it through

I think both of my kids would have Moldova as their top song at the moment. (Seen the video several times for that reason too.) I hope that they make it through.

Shum by Go_A was my top song from last year (from a pretty strong field overall in my opinion) - actually it's probably my favourite Eurovision entry going back several years.