Gold Rush - TV show

~~~

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Gold Rush's Todd Hoffman Returns to Alaska in New Mining Series: 'I'm Not Going Home a Loser'

New Show "Hoffman Family Gold" starts on March 25th, right after the Gold Rush season finale. 

Good to have them back. 

They're going to spend $2million and mine 3 oz and a lump of coal aren't they?

5 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

They're going to spend $2million and mine 3 oz and a lump of coal aren't they?

Yep - should be good. The main show carrying on with professionals who know what they are doing is a wee bit dull compared to Hoffman. 

"Todd, whatever you do, do not turn the plant up. It's barely working and any change you make will break it."

2 hours later "I'm turning the plant up. Hell yeah!.....oh."

1 minute ago, scottsdad said:

Yep - should be good. The main show carrying on with professionals who know what they are doing is a wee bit dull compared to Hoffman. 

"Todd, whatever you do, do not turn the plant up. It's barely working and any change you make will break it."

2 hours later "I'm turning the plant up. Hell yeah!.....oh."

I seem to remember his dad digging a ridiculously deep hole not much bigger than the excavator, the sides were falling in and he was saying "Just a little bit deeper, a little bit deeper"

1 minute ago, Newbornbairn said:

I seem to remember his dad digging a ridiculously deep hole not much bigger than the excavator, the sides were falling in and he was saying "Just a little bit deeper, a little bit deeper"

They called it "The Gloryhole"...

Used to enjoy watching this but its on Discovery (in Oz) and thats a channel I dont get. As you say, Todd with his unbreakable belief that there was millions of dollars of gold just under their feet and then after an entire season of digging, fixing machinery and arguing with each other finding f**k all was always pretty funny.

I presume Parker is still raking it in, Tony is still taking his cut (did he give up on the barges?) and Rick is struggling away and just making a profit?

9 hours ago, Swarley said:

Used to enjoy watching this but its on Discovery (in Oz) and thats a channel I dont get. As you say, Todd with his unbreakable belief that there was millions of dollars of gold just under their feet and then after an entire season of digging, fixing machinery and arguing with each other finding f**k all was always pretty funny.

I presume Parker is still raking it in, Tony is still taking his cut (did he give up on the barges?) and Rick is struggling away and just making a profit?

Parker is raking it in. He gives Tony a cut on one part of his claim, and someone else on the other. Rick is about to buy his claim. 

The new team is the Lewis team, made up of ex special forces veterans. They were useless last season but getting their act together this time. Quite like them. 

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, Swarley said:

Just watching Episode 1, Season 1. Hilarious stuff.

Is this Discovery Plus?

It amazes me how utterly inept the Hoffmans are at this. Especially when actual professionals join the show in later years, 

On 28/06/2022 at 01:38, scottsdad said:

Is this Discovery Plus?

It amazes me how utterly inept the Hoffmans are at this. Especially when actual professionals join the show in later years, 

No,  unsure what the channel was but I'm in Sydney so its unlikely you'd get it.

Todd, 5minutes after arriving in Alaska: "There is millions of dollars of golds right here <stamps foot> right under our feet. All we have to do is dig it out"

Narrator, at end of season 1: "Todd and crew head home with 15 ounces of gold"

• 8 months later...

In Gold Rush series 5, my aunt's brother in law had a cameo when the Hoffmans were leasing his land in the Klondike. He's over here now for a family funeral and I was speaking to him yesterday about the show and the industry generally, absolutely fascinating stuff.

The show was of course dramatised to comical levels for TV, since if nothing went wrong it wouldn't be a show. He was telling me how they'd strap 10 cameras to some old heavy equipment and intentionally break it, and all the 'inches from death' type scenarios would never be allowed to happen on site. They also gave him a catchphrase to make him sound more interesting 😄

Still the actual mining was real of course and it showed everyone how hard and energy-intensive the business is. He himself has gone from broke to millionaire to broke several times chasing that golden dirt. Seems to me the original obsessive gold rush mentality still lives on with these guys up there.