Can Liverpool win the league?

King Kenny 7

and that isn't correct even just looking at the latest season unless you think Palace(5) Stoke(4) and Villa(4) attack more than Arsenal(3) and Everton(2) ?

Interesting statistics but, again, exceptional and doesn't persuade me that there's any mysterious agenda.

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The number of penalties a team is awarded is in proportion to the number of times they attack into the opposition's box.

Interesting statistics but, again, exceptional and doesn't persuade me that there's any mysterious agenda.

So that was just a couple of "exceptions" from this year

Previous year all the relegated teams got more than European qualifiers and attack minded Swansea and Spurs

Year prior Wigan and Blackburn got more penalties than Chelsea and Liverpool.

How many exceptions to your original statement would you like before accepting that it isn't actually true that penalties awarded are in proportion to number of times attacking the opponents box ?

Once you're over 2 or 3 exceptions you're on kind of sticky ground for this proportion declaration.

Your clutching at straws. 12 penalty kicks - 5 more than Man City - or not this Liverpool side have earned the position they are in.

Yup 12 to 7 so that's just over 70% more penalties than Man City the next in the league.

Are they that much more attacking than City ?

Well they are 6 goals better off than City having played 2 more so not really based on goals scored

Surely they're in the opponents half much more, that will be it won't it?

OPTA stats show that Liverpool spend just 27% of their time in the opposition’s half, ranking them 11th in that regard, behind the likes of West Brom, Norwich and West Ham. City 1st at 31%

Well possession then?

Liverpool rank 9th place in the average possession standings with 54.3% City 3rd at 58.3%

...but... but... they must be more attacking otherwise how do they get all these penalties?

post-9889-0-53071000-1397179119_thumb.jp

Of current Premiership players Liverpool have 2 in the top 7 for most bookings for simulation in Suarez and Sturridge. Incidently 2 of the others in that top 7 are Carroll and Torres both of whom received one of their simulation cautions playing for their old club Liverpool. Maybe it's a slippy pitch.

It may be down to the way that they attack. As a counter attacking team with three up front they often find themselves 1 on 1 with defenders and running at them. All three are pacey, take players on and don't really like to pass so there are a lot of last ditch tackles.

Definately a few dodgy ones but also a lot that have not been given to Suarez based on his reputation.

Edit to add this may also help the argument that teams at the bottom ten to get more penalties as they don't usually have a lot of possession an tend to counter attack.

Incitement...no action. Mourinho calmly tries to talk to referee...fine and warning on conduct.

19 games suspended for Suarez at Liverpool but never once as a result of direct referee action during a game

.....all of them retrospective.

the stadium wasnt fit fot a game like that. would of happened regardless of which english side were playing.

You could earn a few quid as Defence Lawyer for Oscar Pistorius.

"This was an accident waiting to happen M'lord if the South African building company had just installed a stonger toilet door we wouldn't be in this tragic situation."

I'd say Liverpool have been pretty fortunate with their decisions this season, 12 is a lot of penalties. Also they should have probably conceded one for every other corner they have defended with Skrtle's 'hold onto the opposing player for dear life' defensive policy.

I'd say Liverpool have been pretty fortunate with their decisions this season, 12 is a lot of penalties. Also they should have probably conceded one for every other corner they have defended with Skrtle's 'hold onto the opposing player for dear life' defensive policy.

They should have had more, including in the utd game. Refs regularly penalizing holding at corners ? You're getting radical there.

It pisses me off something rotten when someone mentions a scoreline with the biggest score second, even when I was about eight and playing at school it annoyed me when folk started saying one three in reference to the score. Also when did MG start only posting Gifs? I quite enjoyed some of his posts beforehand

Archived