Junior Match Videos - Technical Discussion

Sauchie Web

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Pretty much get the most expensive one you can afford and read the reviews of it. left mine at the club but will post tomorrow when I'm over it's make and model. It's pretty decent and wasn't too overly expensive but the footage is night and day compared to my old one.

Pretty heavy but I dare could have been useful if the glens fans acted on their threats yesterday. Has a quick release which also proved handy as I stuffed the camera in my jacket before removing myself from the vicinity lol.

Pretty much get the most expensive one you can afford and read the reviews of it. left mine at the club but will post tomorrow when I'm over it's make and model. It's pretty decent and wasn't too overly expensive but the footage is night and day compared to my old one.

Pretty heavy but I dare could have been useful if the glens fans acted on their threats yesterday. Has a quick release which also proved handy as I stuffed the camera in my jacket before removing myself from the vicinity lol.

So sorry to hear about the threats yesterday not all Glens fans are morons followed them for 40 yrs

Shame to hear you had a hard time from the away fans. Us cameramen just usually stand quietly fixated on trying to keep a small white dot on a small screen and guessing where to move the camera next without really seeing much of the match until we try to edit the highlights when we then try to keep an unbiased view, so there should be no need to give any of us a hard time. We could be spending our time recording their greatest victory and our worst defeat, and I'm sure they would not complain when we still publish the video which we wish we had never recorded.

As for tripod, I recently got a Manfrotto 500 Twin Aluminium Leg Video System. The fluid head is good with some drag adjustment, but the legs could be with being a bit more stable. I agree with Killiepiyo, it's down to budget, it's a major part of the kit having a nice smooth solid tripod. I'm a fan of Manfrotto kit as it's usually pretty solid, reliable stuff but I think this tripod should have had better legs on it.

It's no worries mate, just hope you and other decent supporters can get the club to do something about the ones that are causing trouble. I was over in the glens end at the cup final filming the excellent display, never expected that yesterday. Cause when the one guy asked if I was filming it he did so in a nice way, like did u get all that mate? Said aye thinking he was something to do with the club.. and he changed completely shouting at me to turn it off, others joined in and made the threats about stabbing me, was like wtf!?!? Never experienced anything like it and hopefully never again. Doesn't quite make my list of things worthy of being stabbed for.. Lol anyway I wasn't hurt and hopefully the footage can identify all the idiots/thugs concerned.

No hard feelings what so ever towards the true glens fans, wish you's all the very best and hope you's can get the thugs out. Best of luck and will hopefully get to film ye's again at some point in the future.

Live streaming test.

I decided to try out live streaming of our last two matches to see what it's like, so i got a Teradek Vidiu which takes the Camera HDMI output and streams it over hardwired ethernet or WiFi and a 3G/4G connection.

At the moment I have used YouTube Live for the streaming as it is free, but this does not allow for password protected streaming or any sort of pay-per-view (Not that I think anyone would want to pay anyway)

Test 1 was at home against Linlithgow Rose via a hardwired ethernet connection. I kept the quality quite low at 480p.

Test 2 was away to Bo'ness using a 3G MiFI over the Three network. The Vidiu suggested 240p, so I used this, although I suspect I could have raised the quality up higher. Ignore the sound on this as it was very windy and I should have turned the gain down.

I will try some higher quality settings in the coming matches.

I don't think streaming will stop supporters going to a match rather than watching the live stream as a single camera view is pretty boring. What is interesting though is for fans at the match to be able to quickly view the live stream and rewind to any action they may have missed or want a different view of. e.g. goal or penalty decision.

The live streaming is hand at clubs with a bar ????

• 1 month later...
Some additional information on the live streaming tests:

A 90 minute fast moving stream at 720p over 4G (EE) sent around 2.5GB of data

At 480p over 3G (Three Network) sent around 800MB of Data

Viewer feedback:

- Very good being on holiday around the world and being able to watch the match live.

- Watching the full match eats data, so Wifi is really needed.

- Picture quality is very good with only a bit of blocking (Both on TV and mobile devices)

- As there are no onscreen scores it is not easy to follow (have to jump between Twitter/P&B & stream)

- Just having one camera angle, with no replays can be less engaging

Streaming onto YouTube Live saves the full match so anyone can watch the match at any time.

Analytics shows most people watch for most of the match, whereas I thought people may jump onto the stream during the match to get an instant replay of a controversial event.

brilliant guys, keep up the good work , anybody want to film rosyth please

Probably the BBC - Crimewatch programme!!!!

Only kidding

Yeah the guys out their do a great job - we are lucky at Linlithgow to now have Rose TV and also input from a young lad who has also greatly enhanced the viewing pleasures with his recordings of games.

Still can't beat actually being there though

• 6 months later...

Just a short post to give my appreciation to all those guys who film the games, edit them and post them both on here and at www.thejuniors.info for us all too enjoy.

Yesterday I watched McIntosh from Kelty, filming away, despite the weather being terrible, him freezing with the cold, yet still producing incredible highlights.

Well done to all of you for raising the profile of the junior game and giving us the fans an opportunity to see our teams on camera.

Let's hope more clubs follow suit and encourage folk to get behind the camera.

I'm loving these clubs who refuse to allow their footage to be shown on wider platforms as if it will unlock the secrets of how they go about the game. What the f**k is the point of doing this stuff if you don't want people to see it? Fair play to the boys that do it just the same.

I'm loving these clubs who refuse to allow their footage to be shown on wider platforms as if it will unlock the secrets of how they go about the game. What the f**k is the point of doing this stuff if you don't want people to see it? Fair play to the boys that do it just the same.

what teams refuse ? and can they ?

Well done and thanks to all who put their time and effort into filming and broadcasting their matches, always good to check out the match videos thread on a Sunday to see what's happening out with your own team. The coverage is getting better and better all the time, Linlithgow with their manager interviews, Sauchie with their live coverage, Hurlfords intro videos and too many to mention on top of that... Excellent stuff.

Archived