Junior Match Videos - Technical Discussion

Sauchie Web

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The set-up with Sauchie for filming is obviously well-invested in and the effort that's gone into their highlights has really raised the bar for the Juniors in what is being produced.

For me the filming began simply by asking for a cheap camcorder off Santa for Christmas several years ago. I had bought a fairly cheap tripod as well and that was how I began filming the games. Used the pre-installed Windows Movie Maker to edit the footage, and I worked on how to create different titles and effects within Windows Movie Maker to flex the editing muscles. I've been quite lucky to have received good support from my club for the filming as well, and over the years I've been happy to help contribute to the club shop by making up DVDs for them to mass produce and sell on.

I'm on to my 3rd camcorder since I've been filming, and while it'd be fun to use the other two in some capacity the difference in video quality and the aspect ratio etc would make it too off-putting I feel. I experimented using two camcorders when we had a friendly against Cambuslang in the summer, but it's a bit fiddly indeed. But thanks to RtB filming the games too, I can use both mine and his footage when editing DVDs, which has gone down very well from the feedback I've received. The multi-cam editing is new to me and I hope Bankies will give us a few more special matches in which fans can afterwards enjoy a well-edited multi-cam extended highlights package to enjoy!

Really good to hear that others like what I produce, I know that I still have a lot of room for improvement, but when you compare it against some of the lower SPLF leagues, we are all of a higher quality already. I'd love to get someone to take additional footage. The goal cams are fine for replays and a different perspective, but to have a cam doing closeups while i'm filming an overview would be great. Getting anyone to volunteer to anything in Junior Football is not easy though.

A friend made a suggestion yesterday which made me think. They asked if I had thought of putting the full match videos up on a pay-per-view basis to help generate a bit more revenue for the club.

There are Content Delivery Networks which provide this capability but you normally need to pay an annual charge, and I'm not convinced that there would be enough demand.

What do people think? Would you pay to watch a full 90 minute video of a Juniors match? If you would, how much would you be willing to pay and how often would you watch them?

Or is watching the match highlights enough, and why would you sit through the boring bits which weren't good enough to make the highlights?

A friend made a suggestion yesterday which made me think. They asked if I had thought of putting the full match videos up on a pay-per-view basis to help generate a bit more revenue for the club.

There are Content Delivery Networks which provide this capability but you normally need to pay an annual charge, and I'm not convinced that there would be enough demand.

What do people think? Would you pay to watch a full 90 minute video of a Juniors match? If you would, how much would you be willing to pay and how often would you watch them?

Or is watching the match highlights enough, and why would you sit through the boring bits which weren't good enough to make the highlights?

I had thought about that when I did the filming, but bearing in mind admission prices are only £4/£5, you can only realistically charge a few quid, so I'd imagine you'd need quite a demand just to break even.

I did a 90 minute highlights DVD of the 24 games I had filmed for my club, and barring a couple of sales, I couldn't even give them away and I was only charging £5 and all my services were free.

It was quite disheartening as I was hounded on a Monday for that weekend's highlights for free but when it came to a token fiver, nobody wanted to put their hands in their pockets!

It all boils down to whether there's enough of a demand to do something. I do DVDs sometimes for the Clydebank shop to sell because thankfully there is a demand for it. For our SLC triumph, I was able to edit mine and RtB's footage together, cutting between different angles and trying to provide a unique experience for people buying the DVD and I think it went down well. But it works because there is a demand for it at the end of the day, at our end at least.

Really appreciate what you guys do. I know you don't really get watching the games and then there's all that time editing / uploading etc. In reply to SW I think highlights are enough as I like to watch games from other clubs / leagues . KJ at Clydebank puts extended highlights onto DVD and boosts club funds.

I like the idea of it, toying with the idea of attempting a live broadcast via justin.tv or similar for a big game to see if it was possible and what the response would be like.

I looked into this. Not sure if the demand is there again, but I just looked out of interest.

The problem which I can see is upload bandwidth. We don't have any sort of broadband at the club and our 3G mobile phone coverage is sometimes patchy. I guess if you have either of these and a camera which can be fed into a PC, then you should be able to do it.

My camera does not work this way for some reason, so I looked at maybe using something like http://teradek.com/pages/vidiu and a MIFI but I don't know if we get 3G networks at some grounds and if the picture quality would be usable. It's a bit if a risk for me to justify buying one of these vidiu's just to find out the upload quality is unwatchable. Or no-one wants to watch it anyway ;-)

I looked into this. Not sure if the demand is there again, but I just looked out of interest.

The problem which I can see is upload bandwidth. We don't have any sort of broadband at the club and our 3G mobile phone coverage is sometimes patchy. I guess if you have either of these and a camera which can be fed into a PC, then you should be able to do it.

My camera does not work this way for some reason, so I looked at maybe using something like http://teradek.com/pages/vidiu and a MIFI but I don't know if we get 3G networks at some grounds and if the picture quality would be usable. It's a bit if a risk for me to justify buying one of these vidiu's just to find out the upload quality is unwatchable. Or no-one wants to watch it anyway ;-)

Get a 3 MIFI device. Im with the 3 network and out of all the grounds I have been to I have never experienced bad signal issues.

We also use the 3 mifi devices at work, very handy.

• 4 months later...

Thought I'd start putting a list together of the grounds and best locations to record, so that others have some idea if they visit, or have better locations.

Region: East

Club: Sauchie Juniors

Ground: Beechwood Park

Recording Location: Back of Seated Stand

Covered: Yes

Elevation: High

Restrictions: Limited view of under stand

Notes: Some space at the top of the stand at the very back of the seats, but care needed

Club: Bo’ness United

Ground: Newtown Park

Recording Location: Right of old stand location

Covered: No

Elevation: slight

Restrictions: Not central

Notes: Concrete base at one side of ground, slightly raised, plenty of space

Club: Linlithgow Rose

Ground: Prestonfield

Recording Location: Seated Stand

Restrictions: Limited view of under stand

Notes: Lots of seats at back of stand reserved for season ticket holders, but space at left on steps but then less cover.

Club: Lochee United

Ground: Thomson Park

Recording Location: Bank on one side

Elevation: Very High

Restrictions: None

Notes: High bank on one side of stand. Very exposed, but great view of pitch and plenty of space

Club: Bonnyrigg Rose

Ground: New Dundas Park

Recording Location: Behind dugouts

Elevation: Slight

Notes: Banked area behind dugouts, plenty of space for tripod

Club: Camelon Juniors

Ground: Carmuirs Park

Recording Location: On top of dugout

Covered: Partial

Elevation: Slight

Notes: Great care needed

Club: Carnoustie Panmure

Ground: Laing Park

Recording Location: Bank on one side

Elevation: Medium

Restrictions: No

Notes: Space for tripod

Club: Broxburn Athletic

Ground: Albyn Park

Recording Location: Outside deck at club bar.

Restrictions: No

Notes: Usually closed during match, so ask for permission. Space for tripod

Don't know too much about the technology used for videos tbh,lol and wouldn't have the patience for it but you guys who take the time and make the effort to do the vids in rain hail or snow are to be congratulated and I enjoy watching them especially when Bonnyrigg are involved,fair play to you all and keep up the good work.

Are you interested in videoing your teams games?

If you are, would you like a broken camera?

The night before our East of Scotland Cup Final match, my trusty Sony Camera went pop and died. This meant that I had to dig out my DSLR for that match. The results were not great as the white balance was wrong and a slow shutter meant that it looked more like something from the Keystone Cops. Anyway, I looked into getting the Sony fixed as it was 1 month out of warranty, and they do a £180(ish) fixed price repair service. But before I could send it off, my wife said why not just buy a new camera! So I did just that and bought a slighter nicer canon camera.

So, I now have the following kit:

Sony Handicam HDR-CX410VE (£600 New)

Sony Wifi Adapter ADP-WL1M (£50 New)

Sony Tripod with remote VCT-VPR1 (£60 New)

High Capacity Batteries and charger

All you need extra, after getting it fixed, is a good memory card.

All of this is free to a good home as long as you collect it.

So, if you are willing to pay to get this fixed and want to record your local junior football team, PM me.

• 2 weeks later...

Live streaming test.

I decided to try out live streaming of our last two matches to see what it's like, so i got a Teradek Vidiu which takes the Camera HDMI output and streams it over hardwired ethernet or WiFi and a 3G/4G connection.

At the moment I have used YouTube Live for the streaming as it is free, but this does not allow for password protected streaming or any sort of pay-per-view (Not that I think anyone would want to pay anyway)

Test 1 was at home against Linlithgow Rose via a hardwired ethernet connection. I kept the quality quite low at 480p.

Test 2 was away to Bo'ness using a 3G MiFI over the Three network. The Vidiu suggested 240p, so I used this, although I suspect I could have raised the quality up higher. Ignore the sound on this as it was very windy and I should have turned the gain down.

I will try some higher quality settings in the coming matches.

I don't think streaming will stop supporters going to a match rather than watching the live stream as a single camera view is pretty boring. What is interesting though is for fans at the match to be able to quickly view the live stream and rewind to any action they may have missed or want a different view of. e.g. goal or penalty decision.

Archived