Jim Goodwin - Saint or sinner?

Eh? Had the ref spotted it he would have been given a red card for violent conduct and would have a 3 match ban for the exact same reason (2 matches for this red + 1 for it being his second red of the season).

Correct

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And say what you like, but there really is no way that if that had been John McGinn for example that had done this that it would be being discussed at all.

And the blindingly obvious point is, it wasn't McGinn - it was Goodwin, as it all too frequently is. If there is a witch hunt against him, which I don't believe there is, he only has himself to blame.

We can moan about the extra focus being on Goodwin all we want but if he wouldn't do such stupid things his actions wouldn't keep getting punished and he wouldn't keep getting banned.

Pretty simple really.

Both surprised and not at all surprised at this outcome. Ref or linesman spot it and Jim misses a game. Both miss it, and he misses 3.

And say what you like, but there really is no way that if that had been John McGinn for example that had done this that it would be being discussed at all.

Is it an elbow, yes, is it wild/dangerous/wreckless, is he out to injure an opponent, nope.

This is REALLY going to hurt us.

It isn't dangerous elbowing opposition players in the face?

And if it wasn't jum Goodwin.... It was, again. He's done it 5/6 times now.

Eh? Had the ref spotted it he would have been given a red card for violent conduct and would have a 3 match ban for the exact same reason (2 matches for this red + 1 for it being his second red of the season).

Pretty sure if the ref had seen it at the time he'd have given a second yellow leading to a one match ban.

It's the repeated slow mo and Sportscene magnifying glass that have turned it in to violent conduct.

Watch it in real time and it doesn't look anything like as bad.

Don't get me wrong, I dearly wish he didn't put himself in to these situations - especially as he must by now know that any misdemeanour from him is going to - literally - come under the magnifying glass.

I came on to this thread expecting him to be lambasted by St Mirren fans, perhaps even talk of him being shown the door.

How silly of me.

Then you have selective reading issues as there are plenty of us on the thread who are very unhappy at him. He has no-one to blame but himself and all the deflection and whataboutery in the world won't change that.

I came on to this thread expecting him to be lambasted by St Mirren fans, perhaps even talk of him being shown the door.

How silly of me.

To be fair the majority have been critical of him barring Bobby and Stevie the delusional duo.

Pretty sure if the ref had seen it at the time he'd have given a second yellow leading to a one match ban.

It's the repeated slow mo and Sportscene magnifying glass that have turned it in to violent conduct.

Watch it in real time and it doesn't look anything like as bad.

Don't get me wrong, I dearly wish he didn't put himself in to these situations - especially as he must by now know that any misdemeanour from him is going to - literally - come under the magnifying glass.

He'd have got a 2 match ban if he'd been given a second yellow - the additional game for a previous red card would still have applied. However, the yellow card would quite clearly have been the wrong decision given that he deliberately elbowed the guy. How it looks in real time isn't really relevant - his intent was to elbow the player, and that constitutes violent conduct.

Archived