Jim Goodwin - Saint or sinner?

Don't know the answer to that, TBH. I imagine that if Thommo was pissed off at being overlooked, he'll have got over it now - I doubt Goodwin being a daft twat will change his opinion much either way, even if it has rubbed a little bit of salt in the wound. (Assuming there is a wound at all.)

This is only guesswork, but I don't see how the board would/could have overlooked Thommo if he was interested in the role. Then again this is the board that appointed Tommy Craig, so f**k knows what's going on in their heads sometimes.

Back on Goodwin, knowing St Mirren's track record for appointing from within, he was surely in pole position to be our next manager. But Goodwin is continuing to shoot us and himself in the foot. I actually thought he'd have made a decent manager; now I just can't see it.

I mean, I really can't see that Tommy Craig will survive the winter. I don't mean he'll get sacked - I mean that you guys have some bloody harsh winters up there and he's right in the 'danger' demographic. :P

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back on Goodwin, knowing St Mirren's track record for appointing from within, he was surely in pole position to be our next manager. But Goodwin is continuing to shoot us and himself in the foot. I actually thought he'd have made a decent manager; now I just can't see it.

Goodwin is very much in the Alex Neil mould. Off the pitch he seems to be level headed, well liked & respected and articulate (considering the on field persona).

Alex Neil is living proof that being an arsehole on the park is no barrier to being a competent manager. He seems to have similar demons to Goodwin as well, his stupidity in the penultimate game of last season had a decent bearing on the outcome of the championship title race. Although a very good player the sooner he hangs up the boots the better I'd imagine.

I came on to this thread expecting him to be lambasted by St Mirren fans, perhaps even talk of him being shown the door.

How silly of me.

Saints fans on here have been pretty rational and reasonable. If you're looking for adolescent numpties comments try the Dee posters.

Saints fans on here have been pretty rational and reasonable. If you're looking for adolescent numpties comments try the Dee posters.

On that note if you are looking for people that see an elbow on the football park as more disgusting than a street assault from behind try the Utd fans.

On that note if you are looking for people that see an elbow on the football park as more disgusting than a street assault from behind try the Utd fans.

I've not seen a single post on here by any Arab condoning that; neither have you. I've seen quite a few saying we should wait to see the evidence that is presented to the court. People that can't tell the difference really shouldn't be allowed near the Internet.

Almost worth the bans considering the perma-seethe Goodwin brings out from fans of other clubs. Someone tweeted Sportsound saying he only goes for younger players. Someone else tweeted saying he ended Scott Severin's career.

I've no problem with the ban - to quote Homer Simpson: "If you're gonna get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'll just have to stop doing stupid things." However, in some classic whatabouttery, this incident gets loads of coverage (fair enough) yet sod all is said about van Dijk's shocking challenge against Killie the other week or the lower league media darling and supposed managerial genius that is Barry Ferguson being sent off for swearing at his own fans.

I've not seen a single post on here by any Arab condoning that; neither have you. I've seen quite a few saying we should wait to see the evidence that is presented to the court. People that can't tell the difference really shouldn't be allowed near the Internet.

#nothingtoseeheredufc

Untitled_zpsd3c42f26.png

Almost worth the bans considering the perma-seethe Goodwin brings out from fans of other clubs. Someone tweeted Sportsound saying he only goes for younger players. Someone else tweeted saying he ended Scott Severin's career.

I've no problem with the ban - to quote Homer Simpson: "If you're gonna get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'll just have to stop doing stupid things." However, in some classic whatabouttery, this incident gets loads of coverage (fair enough) yet sod all is said about van Dijk's shocking challenge against Killie the other week or the lower league media darling and supposed managerial genius that is Barry Ferguson being sent off for swearing at his own fans.

The Van Dijk challenge was a disgrace, it was deliberate and put a guy out for a few months. Everybody knows if that was any teams player on a celtic player we'd never hear the end of it, from celtic fans and the media.

Goodwin is a dinosaur. A dirty b*****d dinosaur.

A dinosaur who has been our best player this season. Probably says more about our team :(.

Football fans are hypocrites. I hate McCulloch,Brown,Boyd ect for being dirty b*****ds but I love Goodwin. Can't defend some of his actions though but when it comes down to it he is a decent player and one of only 4 StMirren captains to lift a trophy at Hampden. Of course that will blinker some of us!

The same fans that boo Goodwin also cheer when one of their players go through him. That's football.

Every team has one or has had a right dirty chunt. Rangers have about 4.

Can we not add or a complete fcuking idiot onto the end of this one. I agree everyteam has a hardman but he's just pissing me off at the moment. You dont play the hardman act on your own byline when the balls going out for a bloody goal kick

Aye, that's what really annoys me. You can make a decent case to argue the red card against Motherwell was harsh and similar to the challenge against Ross County their fans moan about. However, what he did against United was totally stupid and needless - as was what he did to Armstrong last year.

On Saturday the ball is going out. It either goes out and we get a goal kick or the United boy goes for it, almost certainly pushes or fouls Goodwin in the process and gives away a free-kick and possibly gets booked.

And it seems he's out for four games as he was already banned for the Scottish Cup. Dunno if we can dodge that one or it rolls over.

What I don't get is how people get genuinely wound up by Goodwin. Like, to levels of pure hatred. He's a panto villain for thick c***s to boo at - he gives people something to hate and something to talk about. And he weakens St Mirren by being unavailable for tonnes of games, so you'd think our relegation rivals would at least appreciate that.

Setting aside the possibility that he'll seriously rearrange somone's face with that sort of behaviour you have a good point. He is often a liability, even when he's on the field. I've seen games where he's been an effective enforcer, but others where he's lost his cool and is rampaging around in a manner that helps no-one. When Dundee won at St Mirren Park towards the end of the 2012/13 season the Saints fans in the Main Stand were screaming at Lennon to hook him before he got sent off. When the inevitable happened Goodwin, and Lennon, seemed surprised. The more thoughtful Dundee fans merely smiled to themselves that Saints were down to 10 men because of their collective stupidity. The Main Stand, on the other hand, gave their own manager the sort of abuse I've not seen a manager get from his own fans since Gordon Chisholm's spell at Dens. It was entirely predictable and avoidable.

Can we not add or a complete fcuking idiot onto the end of this one. I agree everyteam has a hardman but he's just pissing me off at the moment. You dont play the hardman act on your own byline when the balls going out for a bloody goal kick

Indeed. How on earth can he command any respect as a coach when he acts like a total fwucktit?

A dinosaur who has been our best player this season. Probably says more about our team :(.

Football fans are hypocrites. I hate McCulloch,Brown,Boyd ect for being dirty b*****ds but I love Goodwin. Can't defend some of his actions though but when it comes down to it he is a decent player and one of only 4 StMirren captains to lift a trophy at Hampden. Of course that will blinker some of us!

The same fans that boo Goodwin also cheer when one of their players go through him. That's football.

Every team has one or has had a right dirty chunt. Rangers have about 4.

Surely this bit can't be true though? Admittedly I have only seen a couple of St Mirren games but he has been no-where near this?

Archived