• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really , source please.

Not that I'm calling you a liar or gullible but unsourced quotes give that impresssion.

An email one of the boys on an extremely small forum I aquaint received........he is ex Brit Army and currently does that stuff................ gets ripped for it, considering what the forum is though :D

^^ the current plea for 'our' thugs to back 'em up...... $500 a day ish

Titushka will get paid about £20 for their escapades. A few of them attacked protestors in Kharkiv tonight in the metro, no serious injuries reported.

An email one of the boys on an extremely small forum I aquaint received........he is ex Brit Army and currently does that stuff................ gets ripped for it, considering what the forum is though :D

Fair enough, give us a link to the forum.

We don't want people to think you're lying now.

bs.JPG

Not necessarily...............

They have been drafted from the east and south, where of course the pro-Russian strong holds are.

It will be the next situation to keep tabs on, protests in Donetsk and Sevastopol today and it won't be the last. Hopefully these will be peaceful and properly policed (as strange as that sounds).

Ukraine had always been culturally linked to Russia. The language is almost identical to Russian.

No it isn't. Both use Cyrillic (with different letters and emphases) but Ukrainian has far more similarities with Polish than Russian. Culturally as well, and these 'cultural links' (which to be honest I'm kind of sceptical of) were only really extended by the incorporation of the Soviet Union. Historically Ukraine was far more linked with Poland and the Grand Duchy of Lithuania.

All three seem to be reasonably mutually intelligible. Have watched people speak to each other using the various possible combinations on that. By contrast I've had to serve as a translator between a geriatric Shetland crofter and an English ornothologist, so it makes me wonder whether the gulf between English and broad Scots is bigger than that between Russian and Ukrainian. From the outside looking in have to wonder whether the best way to go would be a Czech-Slovak style velvet divorce. What will happen now is the pro-EU side will win in May, but the electorate will swing back to a pro-Russian orientation when EU aid is less lavish than hoped for (that's what happened after the Orange Revolution when the EU basically told Ukraine to take a hike). Ditch the Donbass and Crimea and the pro-EU orientation would become more stable and enduring.

pm sent for a general view....

Cheers, wee chat with ex army chap. Looks like a bodyguard for a business man or some such. Was initially cynical because I could not see any confirmation on ARSE.

They are separate languages, although they came from the same root (Old East Slavic). Ukrainian is 60% lexically similar to Russian and 70% to Polish - in the same ball park to the lexical similarity of English to German and Dutch respectively which also had a common ancestor.

No it isn't. Both use Cyrillic (with different letters and emphases) but Ukrainian has far more similarities with Polish than Russian. Culturally as well, and these 'cultural links' (which to be honest I'm kind of sceptical of) were only really extended by the incorporation of the Soviet Union. Historically Ukraine was far more linked with Poland and the Grand Duchy of Lithuania.

There is very little language barrier between The Ukraine and Russia. You can think of it as being some sort of Slavic dialect continuum. Polish is a bit further removed (Czech even more so) but still mutually intelligible to a certain extent. Basically, these peoples have a lot in common. The Lithuanian language is of course totally different, beinmg neither Slavic nor Germanic but rather a law unto itself, like Hungarian.

Ukrainians understand Polish if someone was to speak to them but wouldn't know how to reply. Same vise versa I would imagine.

I've found Russian far more harder to learn than Ukrainian. I'd love to learn the Polish alphabet so I could read it, I made a right arse of myself trying to pronounce Rzerzow and Przemyśl when trying to book a train ticket once.

Ukrainians understand Polish if someone was to speak to them but wouldn't know how to reply. Same vise versa I would imagine.

I've found Russian far more harder to learn than Ukrainian. I'd love to learn the Polish alphabet so I could read it, I made a right arse of myself trying to pronounce Rzerzow and Przemyśl when trying to book a train ticket once.

It's pronounced PMSL mate.

Is there not a contest each year for non-native Poles to write / speak long excerpts of Polish, and nobody has ever got it 100% correct? Could be an urban myth tbh.

It's pronounced PMSL mate.

Is there not a contest each year for non-native Poles to write / speak long excerpts of Polish, and nobody has ever got it 100% correct? Could be an urban myth tbh.

Yeah a Polish girl in a hostel finally told me how to say it correctly. First and last letters are stressed to f**k.

Archived