Not too informed about either conflict, but there seems to be similarities between what's going on the Ukraine and Thailand. Accusations of electoral fraud, resistance to another election, middle classes doing the rioting*, working or rural classes keeping quiet, and billionaire manipulators staying in the background (not by choice in 2 cases, one in each). I hope they both sort out a compromise, but would bet on Thailand more likely to avoid a civil war than the Ukraine.

*GIRUY Fukuyama..

Yes and No

in Thailand this is how we do our politics , every 2 years this happens. I've been here since 2008 and we have had violent demo causing deaths in 3 separate years. Most of the people here are quite embarrassed with the whole charade. Openly corrupt from head to foot politically & socially doesn't help matters. I think your right regarding the civil war, that won't happen while the King is still alive. 86 and on his death bed for 3 years, so you never know

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reports that protesters are shooting at riot police. Lviv police have arrived in Kiev and it's being reported that they have defected and the local autorities have declared independence from central government. The Kiev local authority resigned yesterday.

I'd imagine that'd be a reaction to the snipers picking off folk yesterday. Folk being pinned down by fire, including journos. Police snipers shooting to kill.

Lviv is the epicentre of Ukrainian nationalism so no surprise there. Fully armed marines also appear to have arrived by train from Crimea, which would be at the opposite end of the political spectrum in Ukrainian terms (it was in Russia until the mid-50s until Nikita Kruschev decided to hand it over as a gift to the Ukrainian people), so things were about to kick off in a big way if a deal had not been brokered. Looks like both sides have stepped back from the brink at least for now. Yanukovych undoubtedly is a bit of a scumbag but he doesn't appear to be the Russian stooge that he is portrayed as:

http://news.yahoo.com/ukraine-president-losing-kremlin-39-confidence-171700667.html

he's more somebody that tried to steer a middle course between the EU and Russia and eventually found that there was no fence left to sit on.

Yes and No

in Thailand this is how we do our politics , every 2 years this happens. I've been here since 2008 and we have had violent demo causing deaths in 3 separate years. Most of the people here are quite embarrassed with the whole charade. Openly corrupt from head to foot politically & socially doesn't help matters. I think your right regarding the civil war, that won't happen while the King is still alive. 86 and on his death bed for 3 years, so you never know

What's his name? I need it a cert for the dead pool.

It seems that the government has abandoned Kiev and relocated to Kharkiv, in the East. Pictures are coming out of the Presidential palace and people are tweeting updates inside. Rumours that Yulia Tymoshenko will be released later today.

Seems to be a real danger of a de facto partition of the country now.

Various reports saying that Parliament impeached Yanukovych, which would mean that this isn't a coup. The police in Dnipropetrovsk have released a statement saying they back the new government, significant from an Eastern Ukranian city.

Sorry for the spamming.

Yanukovych has given a TV address saying he hasn't resigned and will spare no effort to avoid bloodshed.

Spot the soon to be striked-out words in that statement.

Time to give Yanukovitch a send off a la Caesescus.

nicolae_ceausescu_elena-execution.jpg

Well aye, you first then.

Glad there seems to be a potential breakthrough. Yesterday was like something from a film with Tymoshenko appearing out of nowhere to give her speech.

The most bizarre thing has to be this huge open house at Yanokovych's home. The news seem intent on selling it, they have been nothing but positive about the place and have done a great job of producing a few walkthrough montages (all that is missing is Lloyd Grossman)

The location maybe isn't great but it is a liveable home, walk in ready and would suit a young professional couple or maybe a small family. Not sure how much of a deposit is needed.

Archived