Inside No.9

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Anyone fall for last night’s troll? After the Halloween episode, I knew from the off it would be a rug pull - and the contestants were actor-y enough that you could tell what we were watching wasn’t legit (confirmed by a certain answer). Still, a solid episode.

Wonder if it’ll rile people up expecting On the Buses…

1 hour ago, Antlion said:

Anyone fall for last night’s troll? After the Halloween episode, I knew from the off it would be a rug pull - and the contestants were actor-y enough that you could tell what we were watching wasn’t legit (confirmed by a certain answer). Still, a solid episode.

Must admit that fell for it for a while. The TV schedule that I saw didn't have it billed as Inside No 9 so I wasn't expecting it even if it was strange to have a mid afternoon type quiz programme on at 10pm. They cleverly built it up so it was around 10 minutes in before I started to catch on. Even then I still didn't realise it was Inside No 9 until the credits came up.  Brilliant episode.

2 hours ago, Northboy said:

Must admit that fell for it for a while. The TV schedule that I saw didn't have it billed as Inside No 9 so I wasn't expecting it even if it was strange to have a mid afternoon type quiz programme on at 10pm. They cleverly built it up so it was around 10 minutes in before I started to catch on. Even then I still didn't realise it was Inside No 9 until the credits came up.  Brilliant episode.

I stayed watching because my suspicion leapt from the moment the announcer said there was a replacement just before it started. After “Dead Line” a few years back, I learned not to trust the “BBC announcers” at the start of Inside No. 9 - especially for event episodes (and the mythical On the Buses parody had got a lot of buzz). As you say, it also didn’t  quite seem realistic to have that kind of teatime show on at 10pm. So I pretty much knew some skulduggery was afoot from the off - but it was confirmed when we met the contestants, who were all pretty am-dram - and even the “3x3” made it clear this was indeed Inside No. 9, hiding in plain sight.

Nevertheless, a good show - they got Lee Mack’s style of humour bang on. I did wonder if the Buses episode might just have been deliberately delayed (for a gag on buses being late), but if doesn’t look like it was ever filmed at all. From what I’m seeing, the joke is that they used a big red bus to sell people a massive lie… Poor Robin Askwith - I hope they paid him for the promotional stuff!

It’s pretty amazing that these guys can still pull off these stunts and keep it all hidden. It should shut people up who were complaining about how obvious the “twist” was last week (which it was, to the extent I’m not even sure it was meant to be a twist!).