Inside No.9

• 9 months later...

Decent enough start to the new series. I tend to miss some of the subtleties on first viewing so going to listen to the pdcast then give it another watch. They certainly pushed the boat out, literally, in terms of the challenges of producing an episode set mostly in the middle of a lake on a dilapidated pedalo.

Decent enough start to the new series. I tend to miss some of the subtleties on first viewing so going to listen to the pdcast then give it another watch. They certainly pushed the boat out, literally, in terms of the challenges of producing an episode set mostly in the middle of a lake on a dilapidated pedalo.
I listened to the podcast on BBC sounds for the first time and found it quite informative. Especially about the ending as I can be a bit thick at times.

Sussed that was going to be a Wicker Man homage right away, but didn't detract from it. Good episode

Lots of little nods if you watch back....Mr Hardy (Robin Hardy directed Wicker), the Harvest photo, the class giggling was very reminiscent of the Wicker classroom scene, one of the kids drawings was the same as the film i'm sure. Bee motif a nod to the Cage one?

Edited by Christophe

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve only seen episode one so far and didn’t think it was up to much, certainly when compared to previous episodes. As someone else said though, it’s always worth a second watch to catch some of the more subtle dialogue. 

Good to see Mark Gattiss involved in the episode too, I did wonder if there had been a bit of a falling out between him, Shearsmith and Pemberton but seems not. Seeing those three together has put me in the mind to go and watch League of Gentlemen again. 

I enjoyed it, kinda more Black Mirrorish than the usual IN9 fare. 

Listening to the podcast afterwards reveals that the twist was that

Matilda is still fictional but has found a way to get one over the author for rejecting them as characters

which I didn't think came over very well the way it was written, I came out of it assuming

Matilda was the real author and Pemberton's author was another character

Edited by Christophe

I love this show but tend to find the episodes drawn from their own careers/experiences a bit duller (though still very watchable TV). Episodes about writing and writers/TV production/acting just don’t do it for me (with the exception of The Devil of Christmas) - it feels like the humour in these stems from in-jokes that non-writers/non-actors/non-TV production staff aren’t going to get (or at least I don’t!).

On 19/05/2022 at 22:48, Arch Stanton said:

The standard has definitely dropped.

Kid/Nap just wasn't to the same level as the previous episodes in this series and they themselves are light years behind the likes of 12 Days of Christine or Bernie Clifton's Dressing Room.

I actually quite enjoyed ‘Kid/Nap’, it had a good mix of humour and surrealism about it.

I maybe liked it a bit more because a few years ago I fortuitously ended up spending a night with the actor who played the postman/kidnapper (Daniel Mays). I was in a fancy jazz bar in London and after my meal went out for a cigarette and noticed that there was a massive queue of people getting turned away at the door because it was too busy. I got talking to him and his girlfriend (before I realised he was an actor I should say) and they said they were trying to get in. I asked the doorman if they could squeeze in at the table I was at and he agreed. It was only once we got sitting down and he said he was an actor I realised that I had seen him in series one of Line of Duty. He was genuinely one of the soundest people I’ve ever met, we got extremely drunk and had a great night, and he settled about 80% of mine and my girlfriends bill without me knowing.

I also ended up speaking to the well known UK rapper ‘Dave’ on the phone. I mentioned I was a big fan of Dave and he said he was friends with him, phoned him and put me on the phone :lol: he probably never understood a word with the accent I have but a good memory. 

Thought the Diane Morgan one was really good, and the Wicker Man pastiche was superb, but haven't really enjoyed either of the last two. Still, anthology programmes, by their nature, will always have some you like a lot more than others so not really worried that the standard is dropping.

• 2 weeks later...