Inside No.9

12 hours ago, Latino Lover said:

I thought it was too knowing as well and lost interest early on.

That's a shame as you most probably missed the homage to The Fall And Rise Of Reginald Perrin 

11 hours ago, JustOneCornetto said:

Don't know if I got all the references but did get the Line of Duty one.
Thought it was ok but hoping for better to come.

There has been episodes in previous series’ that haven’t been up to their usual standards, story line wise, but so far they have been outnumbered by the episodes which are brilliantly written and performed. Hopefully this is just a similar blip. 

I do wonder if Shearsmith and Pemberton are possibly running out of ideas for Inside No.9. It must be difficult to keep coming up with new material that fits the tone of the show, but I wouldn’t criticise them if they were because they consistently come up with interesting and unique storylines. Only reason I say that is I watched a YouTube video where they both were explaining the process they go through when in the writing stage, and many of the episodes from Inside No.9 were written many years before they ever had a TV show. Some of the episodes were originally meant to be 2 hour long stage shows, which have been adapted to fit the 30 minute format so it doesn’t seem like they are producing series after series of fresh material. They are both very clever comedic writers though so I’m sure they have plenty left in the tank, but I thought it was interesting to find out how much they rely on their older material. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

I quite liked the tone of this one - more in keeping with the best of the show. However, I thought the storyline fizzled out the moment Simon finished using the award. I wasn’t expecting what happened next (which is good, I suppose), but it felt too contrived and silly, given how Spencer had literally just learnt exactly how Simon and his pal 

Spoiler

Are old hands at faking things and had already fooled him once as the whole premise for the first half of the episode. He didn’t even think to check the body, despite the “murder” taking place deliberately out of his sight (again).

For the ending to work, Spencer really had to have suffered almost immediate amnesia coupled with a total lack of critical thinking or realistic behaviour. Despite all he’d seen and found out, and despite how cartoony Simon’s last acts were, Spencer remained bizarrely credulous, just so the ending could play out.

The first two in this series were a bit ropey; if anyone missed tonight’s, check it out. Back to the superb one liners and a twist that was earned. Up there with the best of them, I thought - only three main characters and all played hilariously (and darkly). Might never use a hotel kettle again, though.

23 hours ago, Antlion said:

The first two in this series were a bit ropey; if anyone missed tonight’s, check it out. Back to the superb one liners and a twist that was earned. Up there with the best of them, I thought - only three main characters and all played hilariously (and darkly). Might never use a hotel kettle again, though.

I've heard anecdotal stories of room kettles and I have sometimes conducted a cleaning boil as part of a beverage preparation.

I agree, the episode was the best mix of stuff and the looking glass Basil Fawlty character was comic indeed.

11 hours ago, sophia said:

I've heard anecdotal stories of room kettles and I have sometimes conducted a cleaning boil as part of a beverage preparation.

I agree, the episode was the best mix of stuff and the looking glass Basil Fawlty character was comic indeed.

I’m only disappointed that Steve didn’t get an “alles klar” into the script. In retrospect, his “then you can come in and clean up all the bodily fluids I’ve been spraying around” was another piece of brilliance given the ending.

Been wondering who Iris’s performance reminded me of and it was the gorgeous Sarah Solemani as Emily in Psychoville.

11 hours ago, Antlion said:

I’m only disappointed that Steve didn’t get an “alles klar” into the script. In retrospect, his “then you can come in and clean up all the bodily fluids I’ve been spraying around” was another piece of brilliance given the ending.

Been wondering who Iris’s performance reminded me of and it was the gorgeous Sarah Solemani as Emily in Psychoville.

Also there was that look of a ruthless and pitiless Priti Patel.

Did I imagine it or was it the briefest flash of political commentary?

I thought it was an excellent episode this week. 

Some interesting recollections on one inspiration for it as well.

Steve Pemberton, apparently from a Radio Times interview 19 years ago.

2095119307_RadioTimes.thumb.jpg.96708c577655ac9f27508b7df68d19b3.jpg1525925964_RadioTimes2.thumb.jpg.9bca3dba2fdf233d949c6e04ac02265e.jpg

Edited by Satans_Husband

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/06/2021 at 21:15, jimmy boo said:

Just watched the final episode. Not really sure I got it. So was it 'Him' or was there more to it than that?

Aye, caught up with this one last nigh. Genuinely had to watch it twice to see if I missed something obvious. Nope. Didn't really get it either!

It's a political allegory about Brexit but setting it in the context of the proms means you can have the very "on the nose" nationalist political stuff but also allows the Jesus character to come in and invites people to think about the lyrics of Jerusalem and whether or not the modern UK is somewhere Jesus could come as an immigrant today and how would he be welcomed.

Have they built Jerusalem in England?

A bit overcomplicated and a bit English for my tastes. 

Edited by invergowrie arab

I thought it was a pisstake on middle class hypocrisy. The Shearsmith character claims to be caring and sympathetic but as soon as he is confronted by someone vaguely "foreign looking" he has no compassion whatsoever and just wants rid of him/Him. Which works as social commentary, maybe, but not so much as a horror/comedy show.

The series was fairly up and down. Probably really enjoyed about two episodes, positively disliked one and thought the rest were just okay.

Given how brilliant it usually is, it left me a little disappointed.

3 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I thought it was a pisstake on middle class hypocrisy. The Shearsmith character claims to be caring and sympathetic but as soon as he is confronted by someone vaguely "foreign looking" he has no compassion whatsoever and just wants rid of him/Him. Which works as social commentary, maybe, but not so much as a horror/comedy show.

The series was fairly up and down. Probably really enjoyed about two episodes, positively disliked one and thought the rest were just okay.

I think that's definitely part of it. The idea in the Remainers mind that they are progressive and Liberal but they had really bigoted views towards what they see and uneducated, bigoted underclass.

As I say I think they tried to cram too much into it and to be too clever and it was a bit of a mess.

On 21/06/2021 at 19:42, Bully Wee Villa said:

The first yin?

One thing I’ve noticed this series is that they’ve become really intrigued by TV - how it’s made, what it does, what it should do - in a very self-reflexive, meta way. Fair play - they’re writing what they know - but everything does seem a bit “knowing” now.

(One of my favourite throwaway lines was in the earlier “Halloween” episode where we were meant to be seeing behind the scenes of the show, and a pissed off Reece is overheard saying, “I’ve no interest in television!”)