Top 5 favourite flags

Cardinal Richelieu

1. Albania - Simple, and yet slightly terrifying. The kinda flag you'd expect Dracula to fly above his castle (if he wasn't Romanian).

140px-Flag_of_Albania.svg.png

2. Mozambique - The only remaining country to have a mother-fucking AK-47 on its flag (there used to be others)... although plenty of other countries have weapons (e.g. Barbados and Saudi Arabia) nothing says don't mess with my country like an assault rifle on your standard.

150px-Flag_of_Mozambique.svg.png

3. Nepal - Who says you need to need to have a regular 4-sided flag. Nepal aren't afraid to buck the trend and cock a snook at all the rectangular sheep.

82px-Flag_of_Nepal.svg.png

4. Dominica - Several countries have flags with birds on it... I was tempted by Uganda's flag with a big black cock on it (careful now), but I'm going for Dominca's slightly cuter parrot flag.

200px-Flag_of_Dominica.svg.png

5. Sri Lanka- Looks like a Swan Vesta macthbox cover. Still, another "mon then" flag... you're not going to mess with a fecking lion wielding a sword.

200px-Flag_of_Sri_Lanka.svg.png

And finally. An honourable mention for the flag of Nagorno-Karabakh Republic.. I'd never seen it before, but it looks like it was designed on a Commodore 64.

200px-Flag_of_Nagorno-Karabakh.svg.png

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Ukraine. Nice and simple and the blue represents the sky and the gold the steppes/corn fields

post-1545-0-43603500-1392208419.gif

2. Kiribati. Sums up their geographical predicament.

post-1545-0-60908100-1392208470.gif

3. FYROM. A kind of red n yellow rising sun.

post-1545-0-76614900-1392208532.gif

4. Uganda. Again Thistle coloured but with a nice black bird in the middle. A crane I think?

post-1545-0-81976500-1392208612.gif

5. = Germany and Belgium. I like red n yella flags :P

post-1545-0-05402300-1392208673.gifpost-1545-0-83157300-1392208688.gif

Supposedly it is a grey crowned crane, which was on the badge used by Ugandan Officers serving in the army prior to independence in 1962, you know what Imin?

You need to brush up on your knowledge of black birds and cocks Cardinal :whistle That could be an interesting Top5?

Supposedly it is a grey crowned crane, which was on the badge used by Ugandan Officers serving in the army prior to independence in 1962, you know what Imin? You need to brush up on your knowledge of black birds and cocks Cardinal :whistle That could be an interesting Top5?

Or alternatively I could do one on top 5 mis-spelt dictators :P

1. Canada. The Maple leaf or l'Unifolie. The Maple leaf is to symbolise nature and environment post-33481-0-86678200-1392219793.gif

2. Nepal.Worlds only non-quadrilateral flag. Red is to symboilse victory in war as well as the national flower (Rhododendron) The blue is for peace and the two symbols are crescent moon (above) and the sun (below) post-33481-0-89798900-1392219821.gif

3. South Africa. Colurs are to represent the ANC (Black, green and yellow) Transvaal (Red, white and blue) which also represent The Dutch flag and the UK. post-33481-0-90864300-1392220770.gif

4. St Pierre and Miquelon. Unofficial flag, they use Frances. but this is much cooler.There is an unofficial local flag (created in 1982), which is blue with a yellow ship, said to be the Grande Hermine, which brought Jacques Cartier to Saint-Pierre on 15 June 1536. Three square fields placed along the hoist recall the origin of most inhabitants of the islands, from top to bottom, Basques, Bretons, and Lower Normans.[1] The top left flag is the Basque flag, as mentioned above, and is known as the "Ikurriña". This unofficial flag was likely designed by André Paturel, a local business owner who adapted the coat of arms designed by one Léon Joner post-33481-0-53627400-1392219873.gif

5. Wales. Y Ddraig Goch. The Green and white is the Tudor colours used by Henry V11. And is by far the best flag in the UK. post-33481-0-23393300-1392219897.gif

BLRU0001.GIF

Belarus mainly because they seemed to have run out of flag and used a bit of old curtain.

CAFR0001.GIF

Central African Republic. Given homosexuality's still illegal there, they've got a flag that wouldn't look out of place at a Pride parade. Mauritius (below)runs them close.

MRTS0001.GIF

ISMA0001.GIF

Isle of Man. Three legs (and twelve fingers) appeared to be the norm the one time I went.

ASTL0110.GIF

Norfolk Island. A flag you can stick up in your car to make it smell nice.

URGY0001.GIF

Uruguay. Because the sun looks really happy.

BLRU0001.GIF

Belarus mainly because they seemed to have run out of flag and used a bit of old curtain.

CAFR0001.GIF

Central African Republic. Given homosexuality's still illegal there, they've got a flag that wouldn't look out of place at a Pride parade. Mauritius (below)runs them close.

MRTS0001.GIF

ISMA0001.GIF

Isle of Man. Three legs (and twelve fingers) appeared to be the norm the one time I went.

ASTL0110.GIF

Norfolk Island. A flag you can stick up in your car to make it smell nice.

URGY0001.GIF

Uruguay. Because the sun looks really happy.

I don't know what's so special about them, they're all the same...

Ah, that makes more sense. I thought it was a bit odd that a predominately Muslim country would have a Christmas tree on their flag.

Their flag has been designed to be neutral anyway, the red symbolises blood spilled in the fight for freedom, the white for peace and the cedar tree to represent immortality.

1. Brazil- great shapes (I think it's the only national flag to feature a rhombus) but most importantly fantastic colours, with astronomically-correct stars to reflect the sky on the day of the proclamation of the Republic of Brazil. I don't think that big white banner was in the sky, though.

brlarge.gif

2. Mauritius- looks a bit like the gay pride flag and it represents the history and landscape of the island beautifully, as well as being two fingers to the "three-stripe" brigade.

flagge-mauritius.gif

3. Botswana- looks like it should be the flag of a Baltic state, but the blue represents how precious water is to the country and the black and white symbolises racial harmony. Nice.

bwlarge.gif

4. Rwanda (1962-2001)- they basically copied Guinea's flag and to make it unique just put an "R" on it- that's what I call lazy flag-making, but I did kind of like it. Alas, the country got rid of it after the genocide of the 1990s.

450px-Flag_of_Rwanda_(1962-2001)_svg.png

5. Lithuania- unique colour scheme for its location and maybe gives a false image about the climate, it would make sense if they swapped with Botswana.

lithuania-flag.gif

Archived