Playing

Spain

Has anyone ever actually been involved in the game in any capacity?

I notice that Inverness now has a properly set-up youth scheme where the Inverness schools all play each other. They also have a senior squad (adults and school leavers) that plays in the BAFL. I wish they'd had that kinda system in my day.

There's a number of other teams in Scotland too. So has anyone ever been involved in anything like this?

I used to play in Inverness when I was in school. The set up there is fucking fantastic, led by a guy called Robbie who should really be knighted for his contribution to local youths/sport. I'd urge anyone to go along. I played when I was 14-17, played mostly guard and we played 9-on-9 kitted. I know a couple of guys through that who played at uni and in fact still play I think. Great thing to be involved in.

Id love to be able to play, but doubt there is a position to accomadate a 5,11", 10stone man who is slower thank a week in jail.

Anybody have any info on Cecils roadshow thing he was talking about. I know its been run for a few years but what actually goes on? Is it worth going along too?

I played for 6 years at youth level. Got so far as to play for Scotland and GB Youth and to train with the Claymores when they had their elite school going on.

Was decent.

Couldn't really be bothered with it after getting too old for youth though. I had a break and was convinced to come back anf play one year of senior, but by then health issues / work commitments meant I wasn't enjoying it anymore.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I played for 15 years for Edinburgh Eagles, Edinburgh Phoenix, Lothian Raiders and maybe even a couple of other incarnations I can't quite remember.

I was also lucky enough to get to play for Great Britain and was too young and too stupid to realise what an idiot I was to stop going to the GB training because I couldn't arsed to travel to Birmingham.

It's a fantastic game, and has created bonds with the guys on the teams I played with that still are strong.

if you get the chance, play, or coach or help out.

What number you playing? Will be at Meadowbank on the 11th so I'll be sure to give you a boo ;)

Haha I'm now a CornerBack. Turns out I'm better blocking a receiver than being one, No. 30....need a good win after an absolute pumping in the opening game!

Played a couple of years for the Tigers youth team when it was kicking about, went from OLB to OG/DT in a season thanks to a job in KFC. :P Played a couple of seasons for the UWS Pyros in the uni league as well, played mainly at MLB but had stints at SS, OLB, DE, LG, LT and FB (Jack of all trades master of none eh? :lol: ). Loved the uni league couldn't recommend it enough if you are a student. (Pyros are the best though obviously ;))

I'm considering giving playing a shot next year. Not sure what position I'd play but if you don't try you never will.

I am meeting the Wolves on Sunday morning though to look to take over their twitter account for them. I do the twitter account for Spartans so hopefully will get some experience doing that for them.

Get following @edinburghwolves

I play for the Trojans too (Ledley 1877 is my brother). Play QB. Like my bro, in my rookie season, so I probably won't see too much action this year. Hopefully get a few snaps on Sunday!

Yeah, we won 46-38. Much needed win for the trojans. Bit disappointed not to get game time, but got to expect that as a rookie. Yeah, he was losing the rag at the officials yesterday. Too many pass interference and personal fouls not called - on both sides of the ball!

He seemed to be losing the rag with his own players. Made a point to walk over and have a go at one of his WR then finger pointing at his linebackers when they came on.

Your running back was superb though. Looked like it was going to be a blow-out but the Wolves have some decent players on attack too.

It's just the way he coaches - we've been running those plays since January, so there's no real excuse to not being up to par. He just wants the linebackers to hit, I felt our defence was a bit laggy yesterday, as was our offence. If we continued to play the way we did in the first quarter, we wold've blown the wolves away.

Our running back is quality, and he deserved his 5 TD's yesterday! The wolves Qb looks to be an excellent young player - big future ahead of him.

Archived