The New Stadiums Thread

jamamafegan

4 minutes ago, GordonS said:

It's not £25 to watch Edinburgh, it's £15 (£20 if you buy on match day) and £5 for kids. I think it's excellent value.

It was £25 for the last few seasons, £20 if you buy before the day.  I paid £25 for the last Edinburgh game I paid a ticket for was against Wasps in December 2019 (fortunately I can scrounge freebies more often than not though).    They do a castle club thing that gives you a discount though.

You make some good points, and perhaps things belongs in the other sports section, but I think the problem mostly lies more in the "experience" as you say.  Murrayfield is in a great location for making it part of a night out, but I don't think that is tapped into enough by the SRU and it's not really marketed as such.  The invariably price people out staying to drink near Murrayfield and haven't, to my knowledge, attempted some sort of link up with a venue in town that may encourage people to go along to do both.  

In terms of performances, I think Edinburgh have steadily improved in the last couple seasons.  The rugby is a bit slow at times (personally I'd watch 80 mins of scrum if I could, but that's cause I'm a prop and hate running), and Cockerhill is a thoroughly unpleasant individual, but he gets results. Edinburgh have made the play-offs in 3 out of the last 4 seasons and have been regularly involved in knockout European rugby in that time too so performances and results have been improving.  The next step will be to get to finals and try and win and I don't think they are that far off (although with the resources available to the Irish provinces that's a tough nut to crack).

Going back to the stadium though, it's hardly a feat of design and engineering but it does what give them what they've been needing for the last few years.  The attempted to move to Myreside was the right idea but ultimately fell apart due to the SRU being control freaks.  At least this ground will generate better atmosphere and give some consistency.  I quite like the 4G pitches as well, I've played quite a fair bit of games and training sessions on the one at the Oriam and I think it does make the game better.  From what I read they'll only use it for training just now, play out this season on the main pitch and move into it when crowds are allowed back.  

24 minutes ago, super_carson said:

In terms of performances, I think Edinburgh have steadily improved in the last couple seasons.

They have, and crowds are up a bit, but IMO they'll need a few years of semi/final level to really have a big impact. 

Going back to the stadium though, it's hardly a feat of design and engineering but it does what give them what they've been needing for the last few years.  The attempted to move to Myreside was the right idea but ultimately fell apart due to the SRU being control freaks.  At least this ground will generate better atmosphere and give some consistency.  I quite like the 4G pitches as well, I've played quite a fair bit of games and training sessions on the one at the Oriam and I think it does make the game better.  From what I read they'll only use it for training just now, play out this season on the main pitch and move into it when crowds are allowed back.  

I like the 4G too and it doesn't come with any of the negative baggage it carries in football (apart from curious injuries that only seem to affect away players at Scotstoun).

It gives them a better-sized ground and I like that it has decent standing on 3 sides. It's a very easy place to get to. But there's no question that it's by far the worst sports ground of its size in Scotland.

6 minutes ago, GordonS said:

It gives them a better-sized ground and I like that it has decent standing on 3 sides. It's a very easy place to get to. But there's no question that it's by far the worst sports ground of its size in Scotland.

Undoubtedly, I was very underwhelmed when I saw the artist impressions.  I guess it's cost-efficient, but it does look like they nipped up to Craigdon Sports to get it....

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I think there is the potential, they've just made an absolute hash of things in the past. It's about maximising that potential - look at the number of rugby clubs in Edinburgh.  3 Super Six, plus 3 Premiership clubs and a handful of smaller ones dotted around, all with fairly sizeable youth sections.  There is obviously an interest in rugby in the city

The fact that Edinburgh already had several Rugby clubs who were drawing crowds at the dawn of professionalism was a big problem for the Edinburgh “Super Team” when it was launched. People who’d been watching the big time clubs weren’t inclined to switch. Glasgow had less difficulty uniting it’s public under one banner because there had only been one top flight side (Hawks) and that itself was an amalgamation anyway so they were well underway from the off.

Although if Edinburgh’s marketing team faced difficulties they were nothing compared to the poor sods trying to get people from Hawick, Kelso and Galashiels to bury their differences.

Upgrade to Dalymount Park to be shared by Sherbourne and Bohemians.

Before and after:

Screenshot_20210415_202400_com.google.android_apps_maps.thumb.jpeg.b789c1a6baca08559627bc74669a4d0f.jpegScreenshot_20210415_202414_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpeg.d58fc6eec8c34dd34dbea7168824dfcd.jpeg

Visited in 2015 for a Bohs vs Rovers derby. Cracking wee ground although a shame half of it could no longer be used, must have been some atmosphere back in the day for ireland internationals. Having a pub (not a soulless concourse bar, an actual pub) between the turnstile and the stand was an amazing feature, hopefully this is retained in the new design.

The plans look decent for a new build and will help them continue the community work that they seem to be renowned for. Good to up the capacity as well as Bohs were selling out a lot of games pre-COVID.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...