The New Stadiums Thread

jamamafegan

I stand (!) corrected. I honestly was merely going by telly highlights, as i'd never noticed anything being done behind the goal other than no roof due to the top teir being added. Oops.

Moulineux seems to have been getting upgraded since the 70's. They've moved the pitch built new stands and knocked them down. And still it isn't nearly finished.

Yip i remember the pitch being an odd lookin fucker, miles from the stands behind each goal in the mid to late 90s i think. I thought they had just done a Barcelona and lowered the pitch to increase the capacity and bring everything closer, but on closer inspection it looks like a total refurb. Was Molineux lined up as possible host for Englands World Cup bid??? Would make sense deciding to just carry on with the work if it started with that in mind, but if not im puzzled as to why they are bothering...

Was Molineux lined up as possible host for Englands World Cup bid??? Would make sense deciding to just carry on with the work if it started with that in mind, but if not im puzzled as to why they are bothering...

Nope.

Big plan was to use an ultimate 12 venues from a shortlist of 15... the 8 grounds used at Euro 96 (Wembley, Old Trafford, Anfield, Villa Park, St James Park, Hillsborough, Elland Road, Nottingham) plus:

* City of Manchester Stadium

* Emirates

* Plymouth

* Bristol

* Sunderland

* Milton Keynes

* Olympic Stadium

It wasn't even on the initial options list which included Derby, Hull, Leicester and Portsmouth.

Ajax have a wee ground behind the Arena called - I think - De Toekomst. Their reserves play there - it seats 5,000, and holds the bar we were taken to prior to a PSV game.

It is a cracking ground - modern stand on one side, bar behind the goal overlooking pitch, compact terracing elsewhere.

I'd love to see some of our new grounds look like it - looked quite atmospheric.

Closest comparable here would be Linlithgow - but theirs is a much smaller scale.

Ajax have a wee ground behind the Arena called - I think - De Toekomst. Their reserves play there - it seats 5,000, and holds the bar we were taken to prior to a PSV game.

It is a cracking ground - modern stand on one side, bar behind the goal overlooking pitch, compact terracing elsewhere.

I'd love to see some of our new grounds look like it - looked quite atmospheric.

Closest comparable here would be Linlithgow - but theirs is a much smaller scale.

Toekomst translates as future in English as well, which is pretty cool. Looks like a modern version of Dumbarton and East Fife...bar behind the goal looks quality though.

<script language='javascript'> </script>

Oh, and something becoming more prevalent in stadium design at the moment which irritates me...

... this trend for building stadiums on constrained sites as if the constraint isn't there, then just missing-out a huge chunk of the stadium.

I think the new Lansdowne Road looks fairly ridiculous from the inside, and Anderlecht seem to be planning a similar thing:

brussels_anderlecht.jpg

Even the Millennium Stadium has this oddity with "Glanmor's Gap".

new-turf-being-laid.jpg

It can be done tastefully... at Easter Road, for example, the end stand designs are quite discrete... but some go too far.

Does that 2 tier bit behind the goal not mirror the old Cardiff Arms Park or something?

Does that 2 tier bit behind the goal not mirror the old Cardiff Arms Park or something?

Is Cardiff Arms Park not still there? I thought that was the ground that sticks out the side of the Millenium Stadium.

Okay, I was tempted to make another thread on the following question but as it's related to this then I'll not bother. I pose this question to you all.

Are Scottish Football clubs not aiming high enough when it comes to planning/building new stadiums? I believe they aren't, and this is what I mean.

Aberdeen

Planned a stadium at Loirston Loch - capacity: 21,000

Pittodrie capacity: 21,421

Why did they plan a smaller ground? For a club that many consider to be Scotland's "3rd force" this isn't very ambitious is it? The city of Aberdeen is surely capable of more than this. They will be taking over 30,000 fans to the League cup final - why on earth are they not ambitious enough to plan a 30,000 capacity ground? They would be able to boost their crowds and hopefully success for the club would follow. I have no doubt in my mind that Aberdeen could have 20,000+ on a regular basis for home games. Brighton for example played at a 9000 capacity ground a couple of seasons ago, yet now they are playing in a 27,000 ground and regularly nearly sell out. Aberdeen has 64,000 more residents than Brighton. The lack of ambition is shocking really.

Aberdeen is the one that probably annoys me the most, but another example is Ayr United. They wanted to build a 7000 capacity ground (that's minus 3000 compared to Somerset), yet this season they have been over 8000 when playing Rangers and in the recent past been close to 10,000 against Killie. Again, why the lack of ambition?

Edited by jamamafegan

Courtesy of the Football League Show, this is Southend's proposed new stadium, Fossett's Farm. It seems to have been on the cards for a while though so whether it actually goes ahead remains to be seen.

Fossetts-farm-stadium.jpg

2389153.jpg?type=articleLandscape

capturesu1.jpg

Okay, I was tempted to make another thread on the following question but as it's related to this then I'll not bother. I pose this question to you all.

Are Scottish Football clubs not aiming high enough when it comes to planning/building new stadiums? I believe they aren't, and this is what I mean.

Aberdeen

Planned a stadium at Loirston Loch - capacity: 21,000

Pittodrie capacity: 21,421

Why did they plan a smaller ground? For a club that many consider to be Scotland's "3rd force" this isn't very ambitious is it? The city of Aberdeen is surely capable of more than this. They will be taking over 30,000 fans to the League cup final - why on earth are they not ambitious enough to plan a 30,000 capacity ground? They would be able to boost their crowds and hopefully success for the club would follow. I have no doubt in my mind that Aberdeen could have 20,000+ on a regular basis for home games. Brighton for example played at a 9000 capacity ground a couple of seasons ago, yet now they are playing in a 27,000 ground and regularly nearly sell out. Aberdeen has 64,000 more residents than Brighton. The lack of ambition is shocking really.

Aberdeen is the one that probably annoys me the most, but another example is Ayr United. They wanted to build a 7000 capacity ground (that's minus 3000 compared to Somerset), yet this season they have been over 8000 when playing Rangers and in the recent past been close to 10,000 against Killie. Again, why the lack of ambition?

Off the top of my head I would imagine that clubs do their sums and come to the conclusion that the additional cost of building a bigger ground is greater than what can be recouped on the rare occasions when they get a massive crowd.

Off the top of my head I would imagine that clubs do their sums and come to the conclusion that the additional cost of building a bigger ground is greater than what can be recouped on the rare occasions when they get a massive crowd.

See I think that's poor show though. If managed properly they could be seeing 20,000+ for home games. They would make money out of that.

It's even more depressing that a club like Aberdeen doesn't aim as high as this when teams, as we've just seen posted above, like Southend plan to build a 22,000 capacity stadium. Southend. League 2 Southend. What is going on.

Southend's population isn't much less than Aberdeen's. They're averaging about 6,000 this season hanging off the end of the League 2 playoffs.

With the potential to reach say the Championship not being unreasonable, it doesn't surprise me they'd want a ground of around 20,000.

Aberdeen can't go any higher than the Scottish Premiership and know that a ground of 20,000 will do then fine.

Is Cardiff Arms Park not still there? I thought that was the ground that sticks out the side of the Millenium Stadium.

Correct.

Cardiff+Arms+park.jpg

millenniumstadiumaerial-cb14648.jpg

Southend's population isn't much less than Aberdeen's. They're averaging about 6,000 this season hanging off the end of the League 2 playoffs.

With the potential to reach say the Championship not being unreasonable, it doesn't surprise me they'd want a ground of around 20,000.

Aberdeen can't go any higher than the Scottish Premiership and know that a ground of 20,000 will do then fine.

Yes but there is the appeal of European football, cup and perhaps even league success. They haven't won the league since the 80s, of course they can go higher. And if the club showed ambition then they would maybe attract more investment.

Yes but there is the appeal of European football, cup and perhaps even league success. They haven't won the league since the 80s, of course they can go higher. And if the club showed ambition then they would maybe attract more investment.

Aberdeen are having their best season in a generation - riding 2nd in the league, final of the League Cup and Scottish Cup QFs. Average is about 12,000. I doubt they'll finish the season over 14,000. It would take monumental investment to make them challenge Celtic for the title, not just "showing ambition" first.

Even at the height of their powers during the 1980s their average only exceeded 15,xxx once.

If they had gone for say 24k or 25k it wouldn't have greatly surprised me but anything in excess of that just would be a huge waste of money.

It's no different to Hibs building for 20,500 with space left in the corners. Or even Romanov's grand plan for Tynecastle being 23,000. Simple supply-and-demand.

Edited by HibeeJibee