The New Stadiums Thread

jamamafegan

Not a new stadium by any means, but after getting to know them through FM, I went to visit Calcio Como's stadium on my honeymoon.

A%2Bview%2Bof%2BComo.JPG

Absolutely gorgeous surroundings, but...God the stadium is terrible. Told the wife I wanted to see a stadium, and, bless her, I think she was expecting something a bit more impressive.

Edited by forameus

I also love football stadiums.

My dad used to take me in to see any grounds in the area whenever we were down south when I was a child, I've been inside the following grounds simply as a fan and not to see a game - as a child in the 90s it was far easier to get into grounds for a look about than I assume it is these days:

Old Trafford (tour)

Goodison

Maine Road (security guard wouldn't let my dad park outside and made him park next to the pitch on the track.

Burnley

Blackburn

St James Park

Dumbarton old stadium

Spurs (only outside)

Highbury......we went around London as we were down for the last charity shield at the old Wembley ( summer after Man Utd won the treble). We walked in the North Bank and there was no one on reception. We just kept walking and eventually bumped into a tour just as we were getting to the boxes.

Highbury......we went around London as we were down for the last charity shield at the old Wembley ( summer after Man Utd won the treble). We walked in the North Bank and there was no one on reception. We just kept walking and eventually bumped into a tour just as we were getting to the boxes.

Visited Anfield when I was about 15, when my dad worked down there. Tour was sold out for weeks and was ridiculous price anyway. Popped over to Goodison and the receptionist just brought me and my brother straight through to the pitch.

Everton = sound c***s.

Unbeknownst to my non-football liking dad, half of the cities footballers stayed in the apartment building he was put up in. Funny seeing them pagger f**k out each other on TV when you've seen their motor's parked side to side.

Not a new stadium by any means, but after getting to know them through FM, I went to visit Calcio Como's stadium on my honeymoon.

A%2Bview%2Bof%2BComo.JPG

Absolutely gorgeous surroundings, but...God the stadium is terrible. Told the wife I wanted to see a stadium, and, bless her, I think she was expecting something a bit more impressive.

Como's great. Pretty sure I strolled through the wee park beside the stadium and didn't notice the stadium at all.

The bit at the top of the funicular railway was the particular highlight: superb views down towards Milan and the Po Valley

Como's great. Pretty sure I strolled through the wee park beside the stadium and didn't notice the stadium at all.

The bit at the top of the funicular railway was the particular highlight: superb views down towards Milan and the Po Valley

We didn't head up the railway in the end, only spent the afternoon in Como itself, staying further up the lake in Tremezzo. The park's lovely - shame about the stadium itself :P Still, playing in that setting would be fantastic.

Was at the old San Mames for a couple of games. Cracking old ground a bit like an English style ground as there was no running track around the pitch. Fans right on top gave it good atmosphere. The new ground looks great imo and I didn't realise it was so close to the Nevirion river.

A wee shot of the illuminated facade with some Basque rock music in the background ;)

Stunned to see the upgrade of Chernmorets Odessa's ground. Visited there a few years ago and it was an open air concrete bowl in the middle of a massive park. I remember someone had scrawled "you will die", in English on the exterior wall behind one of the goals.

post-1545-0-07849000-1392133755_thumb.jp

I visited the Olympic stadium in Kyiv before its upgrade and saw Dynamo's stadium through some railings. Again it was situated in a park. I always thought the Olympic was their home ground prior to visiting. There was also a monument to the Dynamo players that defeated a German Army team and rnded up in concentration camps :(

Not a Football stadium but the Atlanta Falcons of the NFL are planning on building a stadium that looks like an anus, the triangles are a retractable roof.

0ap1000000165616.jpg

I'd hate to see the nick of your ar$e fella? ;);)

I agree totally with those who love seeing new grounds. Thanks to my lifelong obsession my good lady has been to both Madrid grounds, Stuttgart, Gothenburg, Elfsborg, Bayern, Ventspils, Rosenberg, Milan, Pisa, Toronto FC, Parc de Princes and numerous other grounds whilst on holiday, not to mention a stack of English, Scottish and Irish League grounds. I still get a buzz when I know I'm going to a new stadium, even Blyth Spartans last Saturday which, incidentally, was very impressive and well-kept for the level of football they play at.

Went to Download last year and we stayed in Nottingham. Within ten minutes of arrival we headed up to Meadow Lane and I was peering through the railings to take a photograph when a security guard shouted, "Whoa mate, don't do that".

I thought, "OFFS, I'm getting shouted at like a naughty schoolboy at the age of fifty-plus". Said guard came and took me and my mate into the ground through the main reception and showed us all around when he discovered I just wanted a couple of shots. They were both Forest fans but they couldn't have been more helpful. We then did the City Ground and had a very brief look at Trent Bridge. The sadness continues.

Edited by Audaces Fortuna Juvat

Stunned to see the upgrade of Chernmorets Odessa's ground. Visited there a few years ago and it was an open air concrete bowl in the middle of a massive park. I remember someone had scrawled "you will die", in English on the exterior wall behind one of the goals.

attachicon.giftsentralnyi-chornomorets-stadium-odessa-254.jpeg

I visited the Olympic stadium in Kyiv before its upgrade and saw Dynamo's stadium through some railings. Again it was situated in a park. I always thought the Olympic was their home ground prior to visiting. There was also a monument to the Dynamo players that defeated a German Army team and rnded up in concentration camps :(

Dnipro's old "Meteor" was similar to that old place. Aberdeen visited it a few years ago.

I really wish Dynamo played "normal" league games at the Lobanovskiy and only play European/Shakhtar games at the Olympicskiy - it's far too big and the atmosphere/stature isn't as intimidating. Arsenal Kyiv have chucked it so it'll just be the reserves that use it, Karpaty managed to ditch their modern stadia without any bother to return to the old Ukraina stadion (bit of a b*****d to find in amongst all the woodland).

And when you couldn't get that, you tried for this.

I'll not hijack the thread with a discussion on this but all i will say on the matter that stadium is from 2008 , Airdrieonians were renaging on payments to Barr Construction in 2001

so not quite

Good idea, they could have a pub at either end - one for home fans and one for away.

Not sure if you are aware, but Griffin Park is the only stadium in Britain with a pub at each corner.

The Wolves expansion is funny - they can't use a section of the end stand yet, as the roof of the stand beside it is so low it blocks view of the pitch.

I also love stadiums and try to see one wherever I go. Weirdest two I've seen are probably the national stadium of Hungary and ferencvaros' both in Budapest.

I hate the generic bowl type ones that English clubs are getting left right and centre.

Derby, Leicester, Sunderland, Southampton, reading, hull...change the seat colours to white and try tell the difference. (Hull is slightly different to be fair).

Is the Molineux thing not quite odd?

Must have built those stands within the last 20 years and now they are going about tearing them all down again (all at eyewatering cost no doubt as nothing in construction seems otherwise these days), and then building new stands in their place.

I know Wolverhampton is a big place and Wolves won't envisage themselves in League 1 for long, but 40k to 50k capacity also seems pretty optimistic?

Oh, and something becoming more prevalent in stadium design at the moment which irritates me...

... this trend for building stadiums on constrained sites as if the constraint isn't there, then just missing-out a huge chunk of the stadium.

I think the new Lansdowne Road looks fairly ridiculous from the inside, and Anderlecht seem to be planning a similar thing:

brussels_anderlecht.jpg

Even the Millennium Stadium has this oddity with "Glanmor's Gap".

new-turf-being-laid.jpg

It can be done tastefully... at Easter Road, for example, the end stand designs are quite discrete... but some go too far.

Is the Molineux thing not quite odd?

Must have built those stands within the last 20 years and now they are going about tearing them all down again (all at eyewatering cost no doubt as nothing in construction seems otherwise these days), and then building new stands in their place.

I know Wolverhampton is a big place and Wolves won't envisage themselves in League 1 for long, but 40k to 50k capacity also seems pretty optimistic?

It is quite soon admittedly but the first time I went there I was disappointed in how cheap it looked compared to the image that came over on tv. Mind you it is in the West Midlands so basically what looked like a grade or two up from painted corrugated iron cladding would've been considered cutting edge architecture.

They havent pulled any stand down at Molineux.....they are merely adding additional teirs.

Fair enough, I was going by Wikipedia which said

Phase 1 of this process was confirmed in February 2011,[10][11] and commenced on 23 May 2011 as demolition of the Stan Cullis Stand began. In its place a new two-tier stand (seating 7,798), complete with mega-store, museum, café and hospitality facilities, was planned for the 2012–13 season which extended around into the north-east corner.[10]

This phase, costing an estimated £18 million, was carried out by contractors the Buckingham Group.[12] By September 2011 the lower tier was opened to fans, permitting a temporary stadium capacity of 27,828.[13][14] The stand was fully opened on 11 August 2012 for the club's first fixture of the 2012–13 season,[15] creating a new official stadium capacity of 30,852

Obviously they're still taking all the roof and upperworks off after not even 2 decades.

Presumably the side stand would be a full rebuild as it's already 2-tiered?

Molineux1_2815053.jpg

EDIT: Also the new Stan Cullis lower tier doesn't look like the old Stan Cullis stand, e.g. entrance ways.

Were they re-tunnelled?

stancullisstand.jpg

EDIT AGAIN: This also talks as if the whole stand was being replaced, and shows demolition.

http://www.expressandstar.com/wpmvc/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/WD4012720@MOL-02-GD-7.jpg

Anyway, whatever the exact details, they've had surprisingly short usage-lives (IMO).

Edited by HibeeJibee