The New Stadiums Thread

jamamafegan

When I was down in London for the England v Scotland game we had a whole day to kill before getting the wonderful night bus home. Instead of going to do regular touristy things, both SLJ and I bought an all-day on the underground and went to have a look around as many stadiums as we could. We managed Craven Cottage, Stamford Bridge, Loftus Road, Emirates Stadium and Upton Park, after going to Wembley for the game. Been to the Emirates twice already but we couldn't get to White Hart Lane unless we walked for ages so we just sacked it.

Has there ever been one of those "design" photos of a stadium, and the actual stadium built is completely different? Would be interesting to see the failed concept designs

I remember Chelseas failed effort at building a new stadium

Proposed-Chelsea-stadium-008.jpg

Edited by RandomGuy.

I done this a couple of years back when I was in Sheffield, had a couple hours to kill so went looking for their stadiums, 2 cracking old grounds from the outside anyway. The other half was raging, think she had trailing round the shops in mind, not groundspotting lol.

:lol: you actually took your mrs to see the 2 stadiums? good man!

I will hopefully get a game so long as tickets are relatively cheap, quite looking forward to going there anyway

:lol: you actually took your mrs to see the 2 stadiums? good man!

I will hopefully get a game so long as tickets are relatively cheap, quite looking forward to going there anyway

Both teams normally charge between £18-£30 for a ticket. We have Rotherham and Wolves on the Saturdays in March at home so both big games and I would imaging both being category A matches though which will cost you in region of £22-£26

Both teams normally charge between £18-£30 for a ticket. We have Rotherham and Wolves on the Saturdays in March at home so both big games and I would imaging both being category A matches though which will cost you in region of £22-£26

Seems reasonable enough! Either that or will just do my usual coupon/pub for scores saturday arvo

I usually prefer the more traditional stadiums and find alot of the new ones quite generic in appearance, not to mention the often inferior atmosphere. Some of the stadiums built for the World Cup in Brazil are a bit plain, even the new Maracana I think was a missed opportunity to build something spectacular and as iconic as the original.

One of the new stadiums I do like the look of and which also has a great atmosphere, is the Donbass Arena at Shakhtar Donetsk.

669.jpgspec

I also like the way old stadiums are usually plonked right in the middle of a city, it looks so much better than when new grounds are built on the outskirts like a new branch of Morrisons. Some of the South American cities in particular have grand old stadiums in quite spectacular city settings, like this one in Bolivia, home of The Strongest.

3471.jpg

Chornomorets Odessa built this in an effort to be a host city for Euro 2012. It wasn't even considered.

12528.jpg

L'viv Arena is also in talks to being demolished, as Karpaty can't pay/don't want it and the Ukrainian Rugby Association can't afford it either. I think it will still be there for the hope that L'viv is picked for the 2022 Winter Games. If they don't win that it'll be binned most likely.

arena-lviv.jpg

My biggest pet hate about new stadiums is the colour of the seats like them in the picture above. The Olympiskiy in Kyiv is the same, when I was there for a league game I genuinely had no idea roughly how many folk were there. Think I ended up guessing about 10,000 more than there was.

I usually prefer the more traditional stadiums and find alot of the new ones quite generic in appearance, not to mention the often inferior atmosphere. Some of the stadiums built for the World Cup in Brazil are a bit plain, even the new Maracana I think was a missed opportunity to build something spectacular and as iconic as the original.

One of the new stadiums I do like the look of and which also has a great atmosphere, is the Donbass Arena at Shakhtar Donetsk.

669.jpgspec

I've heard stories that Akhmetov "forces" his employees to attend the games with free tickets in a bid to keep attendances up. Apparently it boost figures of 15 to 2-0 thousand.

Whats peoples thoughts on the design of the new Corinthians stadium?

I quite like the look of the ends personally, although its liable to see a lost ball or two :lol: Sadly theres already been deaths constructing it

sao_paulo_corinthians1.jpg

sao_paulo_corinthians2.jpg

Unspoilt-Corinthians-Aren-008.jpg

I also like the way old stadiums are usually plonked right in the middle of a city, it looks so much better than when new grounds are built on the outskirts like a new branch of Morrisons. Some of the South American cities in particular have grand old stadiums in quite spectacular city settings, like this one in Bolivia, home of The Strongest.

One of the many things I hate about McDiarmid is its location. I wish they had built it closer to town. I think they should have built it on Perth's South Inch, the inferior inch of Perth. It would have been a short walk from town and the railway station. I can guarantee crowds would be bigger now if it was there. Alas, this is not the case - we will have to make do with our legoland ground that sits among a Tesco and B&Q. Tragic.

ETA: my mate, for a laugh, sketched a new stadium situated on the Moncrieffe Island called "the Birds Nest" :lol:

There would be a railway station for fans to get off on the bridge. "This is Moncrieffe Island. Change here for services to - The Birds Nest." :lol:

Edited by jamamafegan

One of the many things I hate about McDiarmid is its location. I wish they had built it closer to town. I think they should have built it on Perth's South Inch, the inferior inch of Perth. It would have been a short walk from town and the railway station. I can guarantee crowds would be bigger now if it was there. Alas, this is not the case - we will have to make do with our legoland ground that sits among a Tesco and B&Q. Tragic.

ETA: my mate, for a laugh, sketched a new stadium situated on the Moncrieffe Island called "the Birds Nest" :lol:

There would be a railway station for fans to get off on the bridge. "This is Moncrieffe Island. Change here for services to - The Birds Nest." :lol:

People moan about Broadwood's location, lack of pubs, transport links etc but to be honest, folk just don't know/bother looking it up.

Whats peoples thoughts on the design of the new Corinthians stadium?

I quite like the look of the ends personally, although its liable to see a lost ball or two :lol: Sadly theres already been deaths constructing it

I quite like it, it's certainly different and will make a spectacular World Cup venue.

The proposed NY cosmos stadium which will hold 25000 and will he built for 2016 apparently

post-38578-13919817470832_thumb.jpg

Athletico madrid's new stadium plans

post-38578-1391981770247_thumb.jpg

Kuban krasnodars new stadium plans post-38578-13919817935315_thumb.jpg

And the abandoned plans for Bristol city who will now redevelop Ashton gate. post-38578-13919818242662_thumb.jpg

Having done a few of the Northern English grounds, i can honestly say those decrying the new stadia are, whilst right, its for the wrong reasons. I loved watching MOTD even more than before after being at Anfield and Villa Park during Euro96, fascinating in wonderment how the streets around grounds shaped the stadium. Things like the weird looking stand behind the goal at The Dell.....the humungous 20,000 seater at Elland Rd surrounded in three stands which hold less combined.....similarly the Gallowgate end of St.James', which cant be built on as its in the city centre!!! They do give a character, but then again with new stadia come new memories.....i'd like to see some 'new' grounds with odd-shaped stands looking as if theyv been welded together....not custom-built generic 'bowls' like there are now dotted all.over the planet. The new Maracana looks like just another Stade de France, as does Wembley. The Emirates bears more than a resemblance to la Luz in Lisbon, and thats just off the top of my head. One of my other faves was the SapporoDome in Japan, as it looked wonderfully weird and misshapen, almost on purpose. Im all for the SpaceStation grounds if they look like proper grounds inside.

Having done a few of the Northern English grounds, i can honestly say those decrying the new stadia are, whilst right, its for the wrong reasons. I loved watching MOTD even more than before after being at Anfield and Villa Park during Euro96, fascinating in wonderment how the streets around grounds shaped the stadium. Things like the weird looking stand behind the goal at The Dell.....the humungous 20,000 seater at Elland Rd surrounded in three stands which hold less combined.....similarly the Gallowgate end of St.James', which cant be built on as its in the city centre!!! They do give a character, but then again with new stadia come new memories.....i'd like to see some 'new' grounds with odd-shaped stands looking as if theyv been welded together....not custom-built generic 'bowls' like there are now dotted all.over the planet. The new Maracana looks like just another Stade de France, as does Wembley. The Emirates bears more than a resemblance to la Luz in Lisbon, and thats just off the top of my head. One of my other faves was the SapporoDome in Japan, as it looked wonderfully weird and misshapen, almost on purpose. Im all for the SpaceStation grounds if they look like proper grounds inside.

I actually recently googled the two stadiums' architects after thinking the same thing.