The New Stadiums Thread

jamamafegan

12 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I'm surprised that it hasn't been mentioned here, but Wimbledon completed their new ground a few months ago.

plough-lane1.jpg.43a809f7f677060e30e720b847bf4ce8.jpg

It looks tidy enough, but I'm not convinced about that bit on the left that curves around the corner.

Isn't that a link to a potential extension? Do away with the wee one and build a bigger one of and when you need it.

3 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Isn't that a link to a potential extension? Do away with the wee one and build a bigger one of and when you need it.

They only moved into the new stadium in November. It’s apparently just along the road from the old Plough Lane they played at up until the 90s. I remember listening to The football ramble doing a podcast about the first game there and how disappointing it was to be done with no fans.

5 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

They only moved into the new stadium in November. It’s apparently just along the road from the old Plough Lane they played at up until the 90s. I remember listening to The football ramble doing a podcast about the first game there and how disappointing it was to be done with no fans.

I have followed the story. There is scope to increase capacity when it's needed. All the other stands in the photos I've seen show smaller stands like the one you can just see behind the goals. If they do expand I expect they'll just lift the wee ones out and slot a new one in.

34 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I'm surprised that it hasn't been mentioned here, but Wimbledon completed their new ground a few months ago.

plough-lane1.jpg.43a809f7f677060e30e720b847bf4ce8.jpg

It looks tidy enough, but I'm not convinced about that bit on the left that curves around the corner.

Bits of Tannadice and the Maracana in there.

6 hours ago, Torpar said:

Most of the new "Soccer-specific" stadiums in the MLS are great. Toronto's BMO Field was pretty decent after it was expanded ,until they let the CFL team move in and wrecked the North End of the stadium. 

I was absolutely freezing when I was at a CFL game at BMO Field a few weeks back. It was in October, which didn't help, and there was sod all atmosphere was the team was pish and the stadium was about 2/3rds full at best. The highlight was near the end when a squirrel ran onto the pitch and the crowd cheered it as it made for the end zone.

Somehow the Argonauts improved dramatically the following season to win the championship.

On 15/07/2020 at 18:49, Bishop Briggs said:

I fear that Brentford's architects  have missed a trick with that layout. Due to the new blocks of  flats, there is little or no room to expand the stadium. Its capacity will be 17, 250 and that's too low for the EPL.

Just under 20 thousand is perfect for Brentford, when I first started going to games attendances ranged from 6 to 9 thousand, in the final season at GP we were selling it out, but even then the new stadium is another 5k, it's a big jump. 

Don't want lumped with a massive stadium which is shite for the fans and atmosphere. 

8 hours ago, Torpar said:

Most of the new "Soccer-specific" stadiums in the MLS are great. Toronto's BMO Field was pretty decent after it was expanded ,until they let the CFL team move in and wrecked the North End of the stadium. 

Yea it looks pretty hideous now.

Most won't get beyond the artist's impression stage but interesting nonetheless.

Watching Goodison Park being obliterated for some naff flats and gardens was horrific viewing. It’s a sin they are leaving the spiritual home of Everton. Liverpool, Villa and Wolves have the right idea.

24 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Watching Goodison Park being obliterated for some naff flats and gardens was horrific viewing. It’s a sin they are leaving the spiritual home of Everton. Liverpool, Villa and Wolves have the right idea.

Everton have a much more constrained site, the Park End is the only stand that could possibly be increased. Liverpool had plenty of space behind the main stand and have enough behind the Anfield Road end to expand that, and they were starting out with a bigger capacity anyway. Everton may be moving 1.7 miles but at least they're moving to a ground that's closer to the city centre. 

Until relatively recently Everton were one of the big 5, with Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs, and a new stadium could help them get back in there consistently, in a way that will last longer than the dictators' hobby clubs.

42 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Everton have a much more constrained site, the Park End is the only stand that could possibly be increased. Liverpool had plenty of space behind the main stand and have enough behind the Anfield Road end to expand that, and they were starting out with a bigger capacity anyway. Everton may be moving 1.7 miles but at least they're moving to a ground that's closer to the city centre. 

Until relatively recently Everton were one of the big 5, with Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs, and a new stadium could help them get back in there consistently, in a way that will last longer than the dictators' hobby clubs.

Did Liverpool not force people out of their homes so they could make the stand bigger?

Edited by PB1994

2 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

Did Liverpool not force people out of their homes so they could make the stand bigger?

I don't think it was quite as Dickensian as that, but yeah. Everton would need to demolish a lot of houses to expand though.

I think Spurs took over an industrial estate and one or two of those businesses weren't happy about it.

And Villa - they wanted to expand the stand opposite the main stand, but there are allotments behind it and it's easier to move actual mountains than allotments.

Nah I don’t believe it. This guy here looks to have come up with a viable plan for remaining at Goodison Park. Looks amazing and way better than the shitty waterfront plans.

https://www.toffeeweb.com/club/goodison/tom-hughes-redevelopment-ideas.pdf

IMG_3564.jpg