The New Stadiums Thread

jamamafegan

On 1/22/2019 at 13:42, Salvo Montalbano said:

. It's because they're small time, isn't it? emoji6.png Didn't they originally only have two stands - the Main Stand (which admittedly looks quite nice from the outside) and the Away Stand? The home end behind the goals came later when the Shoe shop guy helped pay for it, if I mind right.

Was it built around the time that Scottish clubs decided one big f**k off main stand was the way to go? East Fife, Dumbarton and Falkirk are all culprits and they're all absolutely shite. 

If you're building a new stadium it's an absolute scandal if you don't cover all sides of the pitch, I have absolutely no idea why fans of said club let it happen. 

4 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Was it built around the time that Scottish clubs decided one big f**k off main stand was the way to go? East Fife, Dumbarton and Falkirk are all culprits and they're all absolutely shite. 

If you're building a new stadium it's an absolute scandal if you don't cover all sides of the pitch, I have absolutely no idea why fans of said club let it happen. 

Don't think those fans had a say.

Why did we allow East End to become the shite stadium it is now?

16 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Don't think those fans had a say.

Why did we allow East End to become the shite stadium it is now?

East End Park is perfectly alright? As far as medium to small sized all seater stadiums go it's perfectly acceptable. 

30 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

East End Park is perfectly alright? As far as medium to small sized all seater stadiums go it's perfectly acceptable. 

The supporters of the teams you mention could say that their grounds are perfectly acceptable as the capacity is sensible and costs are probably kept lower by having just one structure to maintain.

East End is shite mostly. It's too big, it's bland and is not conducive to a good atmosphere because folk are so spread out. It looks terrible on highlights/TV to see so many empty seats.

11 hours ago, Grant228 said:

A plan was for us to maybe build onto another side of our place, believe Historic Scotland objected though, to a structure facing 'their' Castle. The road down to The Rock being a dead-end also hindered plans for a bigger capacity, only 1 access route or something.

To be honest, Dumbarton FC's ground has been full only a handful of times since construction.

I agree though, I would love us to be in at least a 2-sided Stadium, no matter how small.

2 minutes ago, The Elephant & Castle said:

A plan was for us to maybe build onto another side of our place, believe Historic Scotland objected though, to a structure facing 'their' Castle. The road down to The Rock being a dead-end also hindered plans for a bigger capacity, only 1 access route or something.

To be honest, Dumbarton FC's ground has been full only a handful of times since construction.

I agree though, I would love us to be in at least a 2-sided Stadium, no matter how small.

If I was going to have a 2000 capacity stadium I'd rather have a small stand with covered terracing around the outside, Along the lines of Forfar and Arbroath. 

1 hour ago, The Elephant & Castle said:

I'm sure the original plans for Bayview was to have 2 stands think the fact that they sold the old ground for housing instead of retail killed that off.

On ‎23‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 15:44, Ivo den Bieman said:

Workington Reds (non league diddies but once a Football League club) are set to leave crumbling Borough Park behind and share a re-vamped new stadium at Derwent Park with Workington Town Rugby League club. Borough Park, their old FL ground, is a Central Park / Cliftonhill style relic and is financially not sustainable anymore. Notional capacity is 3,100 but that hasn't been tested for decades.

1371336976_0.jpg.189468fb90445e1a829fe7f71c694134.jpg

( ^^ Borough Park, Workington)

New stadium will be an 8,000 all seater, artificial turf affair costing £15 million, funded largely by the local council, and open in 2021. It's partly dependent on 1. planning permission and 2. England's bid to host the next RL world cup being successful- if so this would be one of the venues. If it happens, it should remove the threat to Reds' long term future as a club playing at a reasonable semi-pro level.

west_cumbia_stadium_pitch.jpg__1170x0_q85_subsampling-2_upscale.thumb.jpg.4df0eaaf068fe0cc2354540bd13122a1.jpg

Wonderful old ground to visit.

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/02/2019 at 04:29, Grant228 said:

Falkirk have three stands, not one.

It gets far too much criticism IMO. The stands are steep and close to the pitch, and the curved roofs and tower staircases on the main stand give it a bit of character. It would be great if they could finish it off with a covered terrace opposite the main stand. 

Dumbarton and East Fife are poor places to watch football. But again, they could be significantly improved with a terrace round the other three sides. They'd only need 6/7 steps, nothing high enough to need crush barriers, and they wouldn't even need cover. The space is there.

Falkirk have three stands, not one.
It gets far too much criticism IMO. The stands are steep and close to the pitch, and the curved roofs and tower staircases on the main stand give it a bit of character. It would be great if they could finish it off with a covered terrace opposite the main stand. 

Believe they can’t due to it being too close to the refinery.

On 04/03/2019 at 22:55, Enigma said:

Believe they can’t due to it being too close to the refinery.

Not an issue, we are putting a pitch adjacent to the current one with further work due.

37351777-699E-4BF8-B0ED-DBBF979C0B40.jpeg

Edited by gav-ffc

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

I never understood the blast explanation anyway. Would building a stand on that site not actually shield fans in the other stands from blast? As it is the blast would roll in unimpeded, head on!

It has always confused me as well. New buildings in the  blast zone was not always turned down by the planning departments as it was down to the HSE to decide.