Coming Soon; "High Impact" Advertising

Our advertising partners have been working with us to come up with a fresh approach to advertising on the site.

Nobody likes the adverts, but in the same way that adverts keep the likes of Facebook and Twitter running as free services, so the adverts here on P&B keep our service and our apps free. And they fund my rock and roll lifestyle.

As you will see we have recently dropped the larger square ads that were running at the bottom of the board and which had sound and video and all sorts running through them. These pay better but they were causing grief and problems for our users so I took the option to ditch them.

We have been offered new "high impact" ads instead. These are massive, the sort of ones that take over the whole screen but which can be closed using a close icon.

Crucially though these will be capped at only one per user per day so once you have seen it and closed it, you won't see it again until the next day.

I will make sure these have sound disabled by default.

Just letting you know these are probably on the way. I don't think they will cause much hassle given the capping but commercially they are good to run.

You can always join the Platinum club if you want to opt out of adverts but contribute to running of the site as an alternative.

And yes, I am aware you can also install ad-blockers. It's up to you !

LinkinFighter, on 28 Jan 2014 - 17:42, said:

How does the use of ad block impact on the running costs of the site? Just a query if you don't mind me asking.

On Youtube it stops the video maker from receiving any income from that advert. Same would apply here I'd imagine.

Looking to get that sauna to go along with your hot tub to complete your home spa Div? :P

No issues with this. It make more sense than to have the ones that play sound and video.

I turned adblock off the other day and forgot to turn it back on for a bit, the internet is horrendous when viewed with ads. Anyway, talking about ads, clicky

If everyone used ad blockers then sites like this one simply wouldn't exist.

Is clicking the links worth anything to you Div ? If it is I'd probably click on one every now and then !

Not directly but if Advertisers see that their ads generate traffic and interest then they are more inclined to advertise with us in future, so yes.

• 4 months later...

I was happy to turn ad-blocker off when the adverts at the side were present as they didn't really bother me, but I have a feeling these will just be a nuisance so I think I'm going down that route now. Sites that use these high impact adverts used to get put in the, 'Must have viruses!!?!?! OMGZ' category by me until I became more familiar with the ways of the internet, now they're just overtly annoying.

I was happy to turn ad-blocker off when the adverts at the side were present as they didn't really bother me, but I have a feeling these will just be a nuisance so I think I'm going down that route now. Sites that use these high impact adverts used to get put in the, 'Must have viruses!!?!?! OMGZ' category by me until I became more familiar with the ways of the internet, now they're just overtly annoying.

A nuisance that keeps the site free to use. These should only appear very rarely and only ever on the board index.

I've had three in the last 10 minutes.

Ok, I will speak to the Ad people. I think there is more than 1 campaign running and the cap might be set per campaign.

I will sort.

Personally if it keeps the site free then I don't see the needs for the complaints, you can easily just cross off straight away. Think people would have a hissyfit if you had decided everyone had to pay like £5 a month to use the site or whatever.

I do try to make the ads as unobtrusive as possible but the ad guys obviously want the ads to be noticed too so it's a balancing act.

I will make sure these don't spoil the forum.

Archived