The Office (US)

Mr. Brightside

4 minutes ago, Sliced Bread said:

I like Andy but his character doesn't always make sense. He sort of starts out as a bad guy then turns into a cuddly goof then he's back to a bad guy by the end. Also his relationship with Angela was bullshit, what his motivation for staying in that relationship when she was so openly hostile towards him? 

Does he end up as the bad guy? Its pity more than anything when he leaves to pursue show-biz and particularly when his audition tape goes viral. Then he has the happy ending of a job at Cornell.

The relationship with Angela is pretty obvious - hes desperate, afraid of being single/dying alone and from a family where his parents were cold and hostile, certainly towards him and more than likely toward each other too.

13 hours ago, Sliced Bread said:

I like Andy but his character doesn't always make sense. He sort of starts out as a bad guy then turns into a cuddly goof then he's back to a bad guy by the end. Also his relationship with Angela was bullshit, what his motivation for staying in that relationship when she was so openly hostile towards him? 

He does. The parts where he wants to get Nellie back, becomes manager and goes sailing he is the bad guy.

The series was still strong until season 7.
James Spader aside season 8 and 9 were poorer in quality but had some good moments and were still watchable. Season 9 ended well.

9 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

He does. The parts where he wants to get Nellie back, becomes manager and goes sailing he is the bad guy.

The series was still strong until season 7.
James Spader aside season 8 and 9 were poorer in quality but had some good moments and were still watchable. Season 9 ended well.

I guess, to an extent. But even then, Nellie steals his job and he goes sailing after his family collapses.  Not so much of a bad guy as just a bit of an idiot.

Wouldn't mind watching this again, it was nowhere near as god as the original but there were still some fantastic episodes. I remember the dinner party at Michael and Jan's house and the office vs warehouse basketball game being my favourite episodes. 

Oscar: I can help out if you need me.

Michael Scott: I will use your talents come baseball season. Or if we box.

Michael Scott: Let's put together the starting line-up, shall we? Stanley, of course.

Stanley Hudson: I'm sorry?

Michael Scott: Um, what do you play? Center?

Stanley Hudson: Why "of course"? What's that supposed to mean?

Michael Scott: I don't know. I don't remember saying that.

Jim Halpert: I heard it.

Michael Scott: Well people hear a lot of things, man.

:lol: 

Edited by The Minertaur

• 2 months later...

I’ve just realised Rainn Wilson is the star of this show. I stopped watching this when Steve Carrell left, but i started watching it again recently and Dwight is the best thing post Michael Scott. 

• 4 months later...
On 26/01/2019 at 04:53, Skerla said:

I’ve just realised Rainn Wilson is the star of this show. I stopped watching this when Steve Carrell left, but i started watching it again recently and Dwight is the best thing post Michael Scott. 

Robert California is also brilliant. 

Aye, Robert California is one of my favourite characters in the entire thing. Even better that he wasn't in it for too long, and so avoided becoming a bit played-out like a lot of the other characters (Phyllis, Meredith etc.) did. Season 9 is a real struggle to watch, and there is a drop-off after Michael leaves, but it's still by far one of my favourite things to watch. There are so many stand-out scenes from throughout the show that it'd be remiss of me to post only one or a few. A couple of brilliant storylines as well; on first watching, the early development of Jim and Pam is really good and Michael's relationship with Jan is utterly incredible. Almost in the same ballpark as Always Sunny, for me.

• 1 year later...

I only just started watching this last week. Up to series 5. Pishing at the fire drill, then the first aid with Dwight destroying and defacing the dummy. Hahaha.

So many great moments so far though. Agree about Andy being a bit weak, he comes out with Some pish. 

Some of Jim’s pranks on Dwight are brilliant as well. When he wraps his “desk” in Christmas paper, Dwight not believing Jim wrapped it in 5 minutes and then proceeds to fall through it. 

Toby’s puss after every put down by Michael as well. Haha. When he pleading with Daryl for the last Princess Doll and then Daryl gives it to him after Toby agrees to double the price...😂

I enjoyed Michael and Pams tour of the other branches and just the utter cringe at Pam having to take over the presentation after Michael crawls out the room...😂

On 20/06/2019 at 19:27, the_bully_wee said:

Almost in the same ballpark as Always Sunny, for me.

Very different shows but similar for me in that I can always happily watch a couple of episodes of either. Was a huge fan of Oscar from the office turning up in the episode where they take the piss out of more mainstream, popular sitcoms. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bernardblack

Excellent podcast out now...”oral history of the office” from the fella that plays Kevin Malone.

Interviews from the creators, directors, cast and Ricky & Stephen Merchant etc

• 2 weeks later...
Just started this.

Does it get better? Cos I dont like it at all yet

In the second series it begins to get it’s own identity and peripheral characters get more of a personality. First series is always a bit meh in first watching, although now i love them all except maybe the first episode.

3 minutes ago, Hamish's Passenger said:

In the second series it begins to get it’s own identity and peripheral characters get more of a personality. First series is always a bit meh in first watching, although now i love them all except maybe the first episode.

The first episode was a carbon copy, almost word for word of the UK one. It is getting  better though already