The Office (US)

Mr. Brightside

I've been watching this slowly for months and am just at the bit with Catherine Tate. I can't stand her and I'm tempted to just give in although I feel I've came along way to give up now. Agree with most people on here. Creed is the best. Gabe, Robert California and Nellie are poor characters and it doesn't feel like it's the Office anymore. As annoying as Michael could be at times he carried the show and once he left it's easy to see how vital he was.

I'm a bit late to the Creed love-in, but my favourite moment of his is the episode where Michael tries to teach them about depression and Creed wanders over to everyone while zipping up his trousers and announces that there's a bouncy castle round the back.

Loved the show, absolutely marathoned it last year on netflix.

Started watching parks and recreation last week, and realised pretty quickly that it's by the same people! Definitely a worthy substitute for anyone else that lives under a rock.

Late comer to this.

Must admit I didn't really enjoy the first season, I had to compare it to the UK one because it is a re-make and David Brent will never be beaten. Onto season 6 now and I am liking it a lot. Don't love it like the UK version but they are completely different. I think if it was re-named something else I would love it. It just nags away at me a tiny bit.

I think Dwight is superb. That dick from the Hangover is a total dick ( seems he can only play 1 character, I hate him, he made the new Lampoon film even worse ) , Micheal was a total bellend in the first few seasons and I wasn't routing for him at all ( where as with Brent I fell for him after the opening scene ). Love him now though. Kevin is a legend .

Pam irritates me, team Erin for me. Really weirdly attractive,something about her I fancy.

Late comer to this.

Must admit I didn't really enjoy the first season, I had to compare it to the UK one because it is a re-make and David Brent will never be beaten. Onto season 6 now and I am liking it a lot. Don't love it like the UK version but they are completely different. I think if it was re-named something else I would love it. It just nags away at me a tiny bit.

I think Dwight is superb. That dick from the Hangover is a total dick ( seems he can only play 1 character, I hate him, he made the new Lampoon film even worse ) , Micheal was a total bellend in the first few seasons and I wasn't routing for him at all ( where as with Brent I fell for him after the opening scene ). Love him now though. Kevin is a legend .

Pam irritates me, team Erin for me. Really weirdly attractive,something about her I fancy.

Its been covered earlier in the thread, but the first season was, basically, an attempt to recreate the UK version. American audiences hated it and so they changed it to be US friendly.

Its been covered earlier in the thread, but the first season was, basically, an attempt to recreate the UK version. American audiences hated it and so they changed it to be US friendly.

Aye that's fair enough, much better for doing so.

To be honest most people I know don't like the UK version either. A lot of people don't get it.

Think it's only got 2.5 star rating on Netflix!! Criminal .

Late comer to this.

Oh, and you should watch the Kimmy Schmidt thing on Netflix, if you havent already ;)

Aye that's fair enough, much better for doing so.

To be honest most people I know don't like the UK version either. A lot of people don't get it.

Think it's only got 2.5 star rating on Netflix!! Criminal .

The UK version is fantastic. The only downside is that Gervais has been riding it ever since

You can see in season 1 of the US one that its trying to be a remake - some of the dialogue is even the same - but it doesnt really work.

• 3 months later...

Finished this earlier in the week. A consistently excellent show, particularly the early to middle series. Thought series 8 dipped a bit but series 9 brought it back up again.

Was happy but also sad when it came to end. Probably the perfect ending but emotional moments too.

Creed and Dwight are two of TVs all - time great characters.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As someone who absolutely loved (and still watches regularly) the UK version, I cannot believe I've waited so long to watch this US one.
Currently half way through series 7, and its amazing.
Echo what everyone said regarding Dwight, one of the best characters ever to grace a comedy screen.
Creed, Kelly and Kevin are also absolutely brilliant also.
The fire drill is probably one of my favourite parts of any TV series I have ever seen, along with the lip sync intro to series 7.

It does go badly downhill towards the end but series 1-5 stands up as one of the best sitcoms ever imo. 

So much of it hinges on the brilliance of Steve Carell, it wasn't surprising to see him go on to be Oscar nominated. An excellent actor and a very funny man.

Been rewatching it this week. The first series is better than I remembered, there's not one dud character. 

I've been rewatching too and I forgot how much I utterly detest Andy Bernard. An absolutely awful character who hijacks every scene he is in to the detriment of those around him.

I like Andy but his character doesn't always make sense. He sort of starts out as a bad guy then turns into a cuddly goof then he's back to a bad guy by the end. Also his relationship with Angela was bullshit, what his motivation for staying in that relationship when she was so openly hostile towards him?